Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Why is Verizon VoLTE coverage so bad in my area (compared with CDMA)?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    WHICH phone did you get? That kind of makes a difference
    Yep, the phone could make a difference.

VoLTE was crap here 2 years ago. . . bad enough to make me switch to ATT since CDMA is bad at home & a few other areas. I just tested out Verizon last month via Red Pocket & VoLTE is now excellent. I also noticed that all new towers are running band 5 LTE since it is no longer needed for CDMA.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Yep, the phone could make a difference.

VoLTE was crap here 2 years ago. . . bad enough to make me switch to ATT since CDMA is bad at home & a few other areas. I just tested out Verizon last month via Red Pocket & VoLTE is now excellent. I also noticed that all new towers are running band 5 LTE since it is no longer needed for CDMA.
    Where is this at? I’m in western Va and I don’t see any band 5 LTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    Where is this at? I’m in western Va and I don’t see any band 5 LTE
    -Manassas-PWC Fairground Macro
    -Centreville-Stone Elementary Macro(Braddock Road)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    It can't happen soon enough. I tried Verizon for the last few weeks, and it was unusable at times due to congestion (I presume). They have both A and B side cellular in my area. You'd think they would have switched one of them over to LTE by now. There have been sightings, but clearly they are only testing. I eventually went back to AT&T, just so we had something usable more of the time.
    Most of B5 has been swapped over already. I fly around the country for work and most areas only have 1.25MHz 1x carrier in 850Mhz and the small EvDO carrier is running on 1900MHz.. the rest is all LTE now

Verizon just screwed themselves not buying anymore mid-band spectrum, AT&T got FirstNet and Band30 to use as supplemental downlink and that extra capacity is really helpful for them.. Verizon tends to rely on 700MHz for indoor coverage a bit too much in my experiences and causes themselves congestion when they do not need too.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Most of B5 has been swapped over already. I fly around the country for work and most areas only have 1.25MHz 1x carrier in 850Mhz and the small EvDO carrier is running on 1900MHz.. the rest is all LTE now

Verizon just screwed themselves not buying anymore mid-band spectrum, AT&T got FirstNet and Band30 to use as supplemental downlink and that extra capacity is really helpful for them.. Verizon tends to rely on 700MHz for indoor coverage a bit too much in my experiences and causes themselves congestion when they do not need too.
    A) Firstnet uses band 14 which is not midband. Also their WCS is used for fixed wireless in many areas.
    B) 850 has nearly the same coverage as 700 MHz
    C) CBRS which is midband just had 80 MHz in unlicensed spectrum cleared for use and 70 MHz will be auction next year.
    D) Sometime next year C-Band( which is right next to CBRS ) is going to have at least 280 MHz auctioned next year.
    E) The FCC is also going to auction some 2.5 MHz( band 41 ) next year.
    F) Unlicensed 5.9 GHz( band 46 ) is also available to use.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if areas where 4G coverage is lacking, if it'd make sense to run one 1.4mhz or 3mhz channel, maybe on the 850, just for maximum coverage? Would this help signal margins or run at a bit higher output power?

In my area (eastern Iowa), the 4G coverage seems to equal the 3G coverage. There are some lengthy "1 bar" areas on 3G that are also "1 bar" on 4G, and everything keeps working fine; up in southwestern Wisconsin, the terrain is severe, there are still no service areas (off of Verizon Wireless native plus US Cellular roaming..) but the 4G seems to exceed the 3G coverage if anything.

Maybe it's a matter of tuning? Initially the power on the 4G here *did* seem low, perhaps to avoid interference between neighboring sites? Then some time later it seemed like they cranked up the power a bit. I think they may have realized some degree of slowdown at the edge is better than losing service. When travelling, I'd find some areas where they seemed to be running the 4G at considerably lower range than the 3G and 1x, and others where they seemed at least pretty close. Some areas where it was low, it's like I came back later and they'd cranked the power a bit higher. I wonder if they never went through that round of adjusting the power up a bit in some areas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I wonder if areas where 4G coverage is lacking, if it'd make sense to run one 1.4mhz or 3mhz channel, maybe on the 850, just for maximum coverage? Would this help signal margins or run at a bit higher output power?
    CDMA is shutting down in a year so how is that going to help? And remember before then if some piece of CDMA equipment gets damaged or just breaks down it's not getting replaced/repaired.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    A) Firstnet uses band 14 which is not midband. Also their WCS is used for fixed wireless in many areas.
    B) 850 has nearly the same coverage as 700 MHz
    C) CBRS which is midband just had 80 MHz in unlicensed spectrum cleared for use and 70 MHz will be auction next year.
    D) Sometime next year C-Band( which is right next to CBRS ) is going to have at least 280 MHz auctioned next year.
    E) The FCC is also going to auction some 2.5 MHz( band 41 ) next year.
    F) Unlicensed 5.9 GHz( band 46 ) is also available to use.
    ReA) Band 30 is 2300MHz, which is midband

ReB) On Verizon that does not always seem to be the case.. i do believe they are running it at lower power as i'm rarely if ever on it.

ReC) We shall see if VZ does anything meaningful with it.. if their current spectrum use/reliance on low band for meaningful coverage is any indication... then i'm not hopeful

ReD) Once again, see reply to "C"

ReE) Once again, We shall see.. Verizon passed up these opportunities before, and Verizon telecom management will probably be ignorant again.

ReF) Cool, it'll reach what, a chicago/nyc city block at best? If Verizon would properly densify in the first place in ALL their markets then these capacity and VoLTE coverage issues would be few/far between. There are just spots of "The Network" that are more properly spaced for CDMA than LTE, and that's the MAIN problem here.

I love Verizon and want them to do well, but they have to do BETTER if they ever actually want to shut off CDMA.

AT&T had an advantage there, as GSM/HSPA never covered quite the same amount of area as CDMA, so their network is already far denser than Verizon's is (the same is true for T-Mobile as well being GSM and PCS)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    ReA) Band 30 is 2300MHz, which is midband
    As I said in my area maybe not others that is used for their fixed wireless. I doubt they be offering 215 GB a month on that if they also used it for cell usage.

ReB) On Verizon that does not always seem to be the case.. i do believe they are running it at lower power as i'm rarely if ever on it.
    My area recently got band 5 and it certainly showing stronger signal than band 2 or 4 which it carrier aggregates with.

ReC) We shall see if VZ does anything meaningful with it.. if their current spectrum use/reliance on low band for meaningful coverage is any indication... then i'm not hopeful
    Not sure what one why you say that as Verizon has been pushing for both CBRS and C-Band spectrum to be cleared for mobile use

ReD) Once again, see reply to "C"
    So Verizon wants this spectrum to be opened up so their rivals can get it an use and so Verizon can lose millions of customers. ok...?

ReE) Once again, We shall see.. Verizon passed up these opportunities before, and Verizon telecom management will probably be ignorant again.
    Such as what? The 600 MHz auction. From which I've been told up interferes with band 13 anyway. Not sure how true that it. If anyone has a link proving or disproving that I'd like to see it.

ReF) Cool, it'll reach what, a chicago/nyc city block at best? If Verizon would properly densify in the first place in ALL their markets then these capacity and VoLTE coverage issues would be few/far between. There are just spots of "The Network" that are more properly spaced for CDMA than LTE, and that's the MAIN problem here.
    It'll reach 4.5 times further than the 28 MHz they use. What is "properly densify" and you realize carriers need PERMISSION before they can just go "densifying" their network in an area. Permission that can take long time to be grant IF granted at all.

I love Verizon and want them to do well, but they have to do BETTER if they ever actually want to shut off CDMA.
    CDMA is being shut off next year no matter what. It should have been shut down THIS year.

AT&T had an advantage there, as GSM/HSPA never covered quite the same amount of area as CDMA, so their network is already far denser than Verizon's is (the same is true for T-Mobile as well being GSM and PCS)
    But at&t is at&t and if their handling of wireless is anywhere are discombobulated as their handling of their video services or even wired internet then I don't think Verizon has much to worry about.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    CDMA is shutting down in a year so how is that going to help? And remember before then if some piece of CDMA equipment gets damaged or just breaks down it's not getting replaced/repaired.
    Not CDMA; LTE has narrow 1.4 and 3mhz options (mostly meant to be more of a drop-in replacement in case some cell co running CDMA/EVDO's 1.25mhz channels and no fresh spectrum didn't have to turn off 4 at a time to fit a 5mhz LTE channel.) I'm wondering, if LTE's range issues are due to the wide 5mhz, 10mhz, and 20mhz channels, if running one 1.4mhz LTE channel (probably on band 5, 850mhz) would help coverage. (And if that 1.4mhz channel gets too much traffic, turn off like 5mhz of LTE and run several 1.4mhz channels.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    brad15, neither B14 or B30 are supplemental downlink spectrum. Both are paired and have uplink capacity as well. The only designated downlink spectrum AT&T uses is B29, although technically unlicensed B46 is also supplemental downlink.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    balthough technically unlicensed B46 is also supplemental downlink.
    Which anyone can use including Verizon and many Verizon phones have had the radios for this band already

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Which anyone can use including Verizon and many Verizon phones have had the radios for this band already
    If you’ve ever used it in real life, you’ll find it isn’t all it’s made out to be. Very little range in practice.

Feedback Score
    If you used B46, then it was basically the same as WiFi in 5GHz band... It needs to coexist, so it's mostly usable for indoor coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    If you’ve ever used it in real life, you’ll find it isn’t all it’s made out to be. Very little range in practice.

A cheese sandwich isn't much but if you haven't eaten in week you're not going to complain.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast