Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 109

Thread: Why is Verizon VoLTE coverage so bad in my area (compared with CDMA)?

  1. #91
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,045
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Also, when you connect to LAA you are using other LTE bands, in my experience 2. Whenever I’ve used LAA it’s been 2+46+46+46+4. It does alleviate congestion but licensed capacity is still used.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Also, when you connect to LAA you are using other LTE bands, in my experience 2. Whenever I’ve used LAA it’s been 2+46+46+46+4. It does alleviate congestion but licensed capacity is still used.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Are those blocks of band 46 20 MHz wide like the others?

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    720
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but CDMA CS voice has some qualities that LTE does not. Reflected signal is funneled through the rake receiver to combine fragments of weak signal into usable signal. Cell breathing and near-far power management helps extend range when cells are less congested. Soft-handoff makes it harder for a call to drop. On LTE, like TDMA, GSM, and other radio technologies, reflected interference is just that, interference. On LTE, handoff is hard, it just happens much faster now. Cells don’t breathe, both a blessing and a curse.

    Was recently in Rocky Mountain National Park at Bear Lake, connected to a Verizon cell 35 miles to the east down on the plains in Loveland. Signal was weak, but I was able to send out a text message. (Geocode in the CDMA signal confirmed the cell site location.) I had two UEs camping on it side-by-side. There wasn’t enough return-path signal to establish a voice call, but still, enough to text out an SOS if need be.

    While I can’t find an archival source after a few minutes of Internetting, I distinctly remember a radio vendor peddling CDMA base station equipment back in the early ‘00s that advertised 90-95 mile range although I’m sure it was in “best” conditions.

    LTE couldn’t dream of such voice coverage until the DSP tech improves to better filter whispers from noise. LTE wasn’t chosen because it was superior to CDMA voice. It was chosen because carriers didn’t want to pay Qualcomm royalties anymore.

    That being said, LTE is delightful for high speed data.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,400
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Never heard cell breathing described that way; generally it's a negative, you get max range on an uncongested site and range reduces as the congestion increases (the site range breaths in or out throughout the day as load changes).

    The claims with LTE are that OFDM doesn't need a rake receiver, that the 15khz subchannels and 66us cycle length need multipath corrections unnecessary. LTE instead uses MIMO to increase speeds, the multiple paths that have enough signal strength are used to send additional data to or from the phone. That said, it does seem logical that a rake receiver would still be able to combine reflections into a single stronger signal, increasing range.

    After initial LTE spec, they did rig up a kind of "medium" handoff, both LTE sites can transmit your signal simultaneously during handoff so the phone at least can switch without an actual drop in service like the analog, TDMA, and GSM hard handoffs. It doesn't have the soft handoff benefit of being able to use both signals simultaneously though; that is quite nice with CDMA, you can have a poor signal from 2 sites and the phone can stay in soft handoff between them and combine them into an acceptable signal. Don't know if OFDM is compatible with doing this kind of thing in the future or not.

    To be honest, in the areas I've been through the midwest, the LTE does seem to match the CDMA coverage very closely, here's hoping they work over those markets where it doesn't before CDMA shutdown.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,045
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Are those blocks of band 46 20 MHz wide like the others?
    Of course. I peaked at 352 Mbps. Not really all that great considering 4x4 licensed could reach 500 Mbps if the stars were aligned, but I’ll take the extra speed. Didn’t really work all that well when I was in Chicago last month compared to March... it’ll only kick on if there’s little to no Wifi traffic. AT&T does have downtown pretty heavily coated in the stuff and my median was around 30 Mbps.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,562
    Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Essentially Verizon "has" to keep building and densifying to make up for loss of CDMA.

    How they manage to keep up will be interesting to see, as this is now the back end of them choosing to continue down the CDMA path up until LTE.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Essentially Verizon "has" to keep building and densifying to make up for loss of CDMA.

    How they manage to keep up will be interesting to see, as this is now the back end of them choosing to continue down the CDMA path up until LTE.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    They would be densifying anyway even if the call coverage was the exact same because of the increase in data usage which is 100X more important than calls.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,562
    Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They would be densifying anyway even if the call coverage was the exact same because of the increase in data usage which is 100X more important than calls.
    So you could care less about rural customers or those in remote areas...

    Got it


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,291
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Children, play nice and let's keep this thread on topic. Please, no personal attacks.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    973
    Feedback Score
    0
    To the OP: Are you still experiencing issues with VoLTE or has it gotten better since 2018?

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,785
    Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    To the OP: Are you still experiencing issues with VoLTE or has it gotten better since 2018?
    I would say it has gotten better, but probably still not even with what VZW CDMA once was. But yes VZW VoLTE has gotten better in my area -- fewer dropped calls now. It was really bad a year ago.

    There are still a few areas around here where my phone latches onto VZW 3G data instead of LTE, and even 1xrtt. Hope that changes...

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    564
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I would say it has gotten better, but probably still not even with what VZW CDMA once was. But yes VZW VoLTE has gotten better in my area -- fewer dropped calls now. It was really bad a year ago.

    There are still a few areas around here where my phone latches onto VZW 3G data instead of LTE, and even 1xrtt. Hope that changes...
    Could be your device. Some phones are worse than others when preferring 3G to a perfectly usable LTE signal. I had this issue with some iPhones in the past. Not with my current iPhone 11 Pro however.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Roanoke
    Posts
    219
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    0
    Our coverage here has gotten awful. It’s literally less then it used to be. And recently we have lost coverage in my neighborhood. It all started about 2 years ago and just get worse and worse.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    564
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    Our coverage here has gotten awful. It’s literally less then it used to be. And recently we have lost coverage in my neighborhood. It all started about 2 years ago and just get worse and worse.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would definitely be switching carriers then!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Roanoke
    Posts
    219
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I would definitely be switching carriers then!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can’t. A lot of places I go Verizon is the only one that exists and even then it’s iffy. It’s like they have the most COVERAGE but the weakest signal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
  2. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:29 PM
  4. Why is Verizon's coverage so complete?
    By RogerPodacter in forum AT&T
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 02:25 AM
  5. Why is Verizon TEXT MESSAGING SO EXPENSIVE
    By WeneedJapPhones in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks