Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sim swap fee is reversed

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Why shouldn't it? If people aren't going to use the automated system, then it would make sense that they could charge for talking to a rep.

In addition, this should allow the dealer network to continue legitimately charging the $15 for providing the service.
    The question still remains: why do we have to link SIMs and IMEIs to begin with? Are they concocting a fee for dealers?

Don't get me wrong: I don't mind paying dealers for their time. What I do mind is paying anyone for something that 99% of the rest of the industry wouldn't think about attaching a fee to.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Why shouldn't it? If people aren't going to use the automated system, then it would make sense that they could charge for talking to a rep.

In addition, this should allow the dealer network to continue legitimately charging the $15 for providing the service.
    Are you a dealer or employee of metro as your comments always seem to be biased toward tm/metro which is your right to be, but your bias should be announced.

However, this entire discussion on sims should not even be occurring in this age of computerization of virtually every thing. It was brought to point last night when i needed to make some changes, including a sim change on my cricket
    Account,which was accomplished without needed to speak to a rep,although it was offered thru out the procedure. Also there was no mention of charges.

I'm really not complaining,as if they've truly resended the sim charge, i can live with their backward change procedure, but I'm thinking there has always be been an ulterior motive for it.

You know you order food at mcdonalds without speaking to a human,which has far more choices,etc,than a simple sim change. I Also notice mcd's doesn't yet charge for ordering food, but otoh,i guess they can charge more for extra whatever if they choose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    The question still remains: why do we have to link SIMs and IMEIs to begin with?
    Envy.

Verizon, by T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    The question still remains: why do we have to link SIMs and IMEIs to begin with? Are they concocting a fee for dealers?

Just spitballing, but when I've switched SIM cards, sometimes things go wrong among the APN settings and the combination of individual phones. The result would be the phone call worked, but certain internet or text messaging functions wouldn't. And it often took either some technical skills on my part, or asking for help to get it right.

If Metro has the IMEI, I'm guessing they can more easily program the APN settings exactly for the phone, thus avoiding either frustration by the user, or occurrence of spendy intervention by customer service.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8820 (WiFi/UMA/GPS)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ [email protected]
    Feedback Score

You didn't get what I was saying (prob couldn't wait to defend Metro). My point was, all that was officially mentioned was on Metro Support's twitter, and they specifically said the automated system was waving the charge. The automated system in my experience sucks and won't recognize a lot of IMEIs (ones outside of the Metro/Tmo branded devices), so you get transferred to a rep, where you might get charged now still. So this whole thing of reverting back may still be a big F U if you get charged anyway because of their crappy system. This whole thing is a mess built on a bigger mess.

But people say the auto system is better now so who knows. I'm ported out, so they can have at it. If they call to ask why I'll tell em straight up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score

To some extent, I agree but there are many variables. Some of us, including myself, are ignorant of how to preform tasks related to cell phone. Even thought at one time I had a cell phone business, and have done esn changes for years, when I first needed to do a Sim swap with metro, someone here explained what to do and expect.

My point is yes some of us here probably abuse the Sim change thing, but what about the little old lady (or man) who for whatever reason needed to do this and doesn't have a clue. Should metro or whoever, penalize this type of customer, who just wants their phone to work. And I'm sure previous techs can testify as to the probably 95% of customers, while being otherwise intelligent, need help with such.

Also, while I do sympathize with dealers situation here, it's not my responsibility to subsidize their business, and maybe they should have a better business model, as no other carrier that I'm aware of has dug themselves such a hole. And I think a lesser fee would have been more likely accepted, and in the end would have generated more gross receipts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    This you tube video may be of interest on this subject.i have no interest in this video other than info therein.

https://youtu.be/S47BkYQQBqY
    Last edited by plane; 12-07-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    what about the little old lady (or man) who for whatever reason needed to do this and doesn't have a clue. Should metro or whoever, penalize this type of customer, who just wants their phone to work.
    Regardless of age, if the person is going to take the time of a customer service rep or dealer, Metro has determined that the customer should pay for that service. It's not a "penalty". They're just not giving out a freebie.

Also, while I do sympathize with dealers situation here, it's not my responsibility to subsidize their business,
    It's not the dealer's responsibility to do things for you for free with no compensation. They don't owe you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    I'm ported out, so they can have at it. If they call to ask why I'll tell em straight up.
    They will have at it (as it is their right.) It's doubtful they will call you to ask why you left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2