Thread: I guess VZW canít hope to get more spectrum from DISH - buildout starting

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score

I guess VZW canít hope to get more spectrum from DISH - buildout starting

I just saw this new building permit for DISH, the first one Iíve seen in my area:

The site would be co-located on an existing site with VZW and AT&T. The strange thing about this site is that itís very rural - Iíd think they would start in a dense urban area. The proposed site is circled near the top of the map:

Though our local building permit website doesnít give any details beyond the screenshot shown above, I Googled and found details about what equipment DISH might be using: https://www.steelintheair.com/Blog/2...er-design.html

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more http://renowirelessinfo.com

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is super interesting. Keep us updated for sure!

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Feedback Score
    Thatís very good to hear. Shame on Verizon for never working out a deal for dish airwaves . That mid band spectrum they have would of came in super handy for 5G

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Why shame on Verizon? We don't have any proof what Dish was willing to do in terms of a deal. To put any blame on Verizon for something that was ever just speculation is silly. They're not a dumb company. If someone on an online forum can spot it I'm sure people at Verizon have already had the same thoughts and discussion.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and S9+
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if Verizon is more focused on CBRS instead ??

Feedback Score
    This is all BS on Dish hoping to not get their spectrum taken away. it's not going to work.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt theyíll be able to launch a nationwide network in the next 15 months. Assuming Dish makes the buildout deadline, Iím not convinced theyíll be profitable. Why do IoT devices need to connect to a macro network instead of WiFi? What I havenít seen is how many more billions of dollars will be needed for marketing to convince people that Dishís network is better than the 4 others that have been densifying for the past 20+ years.

Hereís an interesting article: https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/di...ountdown-clock

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've seen one application where they're planning on using all three of their bands (B25, B29, B70) but I can't imagine what IOT device or even number of devices in a single area that would require using that much spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I've seen one application where they're planning on using all three of their bands (B25, B29, B70) but I can't imagine what IOT device or even number of devices in a single area that would require using that much spectrum.
    Band 70 is the nationwide AWS-4 of 20x20 spectrum . Thatís the band I would of liked to see Verizon get in addition to their AWS-1 and AWS-3 airwaves

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and S9+
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Band 70 is the nationwide AWS-4 of 20x20 spectrum . Thatís the band I would of liked to see Verizon get in addition to their AWS-1 and AWS-3 airwaves
    I agree. That is a nice chunk of spectrum and demand for wireless broadband will continue to skyrocket.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    But IMO when Dish files for bankruptcy in 2021, CBRS should be up and running.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    But IMO when Dish files for bankruptcy in 2021, CBRS should be up and running.

Verizon has made it clear theyíre ready for CBRS. Question is will it on their macro sites or only small cells ? Mid band on their macro network is needed in many markets

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    This is all BS on Dish hoping to not get their spectrum taken away. it's not going to work.
    This! All DISH is doing is building a minimal "protection network" so that they can claim to have fulfilled the FCC's build-out requirements. As to it working or not, that's more of an open question. The FCC's track record at actually enforcing build-out requirements is not all that spectacular.

No one, but no one, wants to deal with DISH because of the guy in charge there.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This! All DISH is doing is building a minimal "protection network" so that they can claim to have fulfilled the FCC's build-out requirements. As to it working or not, that's more of an open question. The FCC's track record at actually enforcing build-out requirements is not all that spectacular.

No one, but no one, wants to deal with DISH because of the guy in charge there.
    They've actually have taken spectrum away from companies

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm confused, assuming VZW wanted/needed to buy some Dish spectrum, which I doubt at this point, why couldn't they still buy it?

Companies have sold or shared or whatever spectrum, even after building a network.

And I'll agree with DRNewcomb's statement. Charlie there at Dish is border line insane to work with. He can run his company however he wishes, within the law, but he hasn't made many friends in his actions.

Also, the FCC does have a very poor history of, well, enforcing much of anything. Maybe they'll be harsher on Dish because they were given exceptions, they were slapped down after the AWS auction, and such. Although, even when Clear had the 2.5ghz protection sites up, a Wi-Max device could actually connect and use it. What device or service would Dish have? Even if it was just a data network for now to do IoT - you need to show it actually can use it.