Thread: Suggestion on prepaid non-data phone for parent?

Feedback Score

Question Suggestion on prepaid non-data phone for parent?

My dad currently has a Samsung Gusto flip-phone, lives in Northern NJ. No data, he doesn't text, just the occasional call and for emergencies. I give him $30 prepaid cards every couple of months and since unused money isn't lost as long as you keep reloading, it's plenty for him. He's on the $0.25 per minute plan so that's basically 120 min for each card, like a pay phone lol, but like I said, that's plenty, and since the $30 cards are good for 90 days, that works out to $10/month.

So the front LCD on the phone went bad, can't see the screen anymore, so I set it up so he has to flip the phone open to see who's calling, then press a key to answer. Of course, him being 82 and tech illiterate, this extra step confuses him (yea, I know). So I'm looking for a new phone like what he has now. Only thing I see close is the ZTE Cymbal, but that has awful reviews, esp for sound quality, and with him using hearing aids, doesn't give me alot of confidence. Plus it's LTE, so you have to get data?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a prepaid flip-phone, NO DATA PLAN, that can be used on Verizon? Also, would he be able to move his existing prepaid number to the new prepaid phone and not lose the balance he has now?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I don’t have a suggestion for a specific phone however you should get one that’s VoLTE capable since Verizon is shutting down their CDMA network in the near future. Having a LTE phone does not mean you’ll need a data plan to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Verizon is shutting down CDMA voice at the end of 2019. You will need a phone that will do Voice Over LTE by then. Might as well buy one now rather than having to replace a non-VoLTE phone in a year. Using VoLTE is not billed as data and no data plan is needed.

Aside from that, Verizon and Verizon Prepaid have not activated new non-VoLTE phones for months now. On a Verizon MVNO they will only allow non-VoLTE phones to be activated until the end of this month (Dec 2018).

Verizon Prepaid shows five VoLTE flip phones. I assume if you stay with Verizon Prepaid and transfer to a new phone they balance would transfer, but I have not personally tried it.

PagePlus is a Verizon MVNO with the same basic deal you mentioned - $10 for 90 days, but the minutes are 6 cents. If you move to a MVNO the number can be ported.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Verizon Prepaid shows five VoLTE flip phones.
    Thanks for the reply. Where do you see 5 flip phones, am I going to the wrong site? On vzw.com, I go to Prepaid Phones and the only flip phone I see is the ZTE Cymbal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojb View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Where do you see 5 flip phones, am I going to the wrong site? On vzw.com, I go to Prepaid Phones and the only flip phone I see is the ZTE Cymbal.
    Yeah, it takes a bit to find them. There's not much interest in feature phones anymore. I had the same problem with my mother.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/

IIRC, the Cymbal is pretty inexpensive.