Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Moto Z2 Force 64GB/2GB AT&T for $100

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    It's a phone you purchased outright, no prepaid involved
    If the device is coded as prepaid, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it.

And why wouldn't you want "phone used with at&t " status?
    Because once it's "used with AT&T" then AT&T's rules for unlocking customer phones take effect.

As long as it's never used, they can't consider you a customer

Feedback Score
    On the AT&T portal I tried it like I wasn't an AT&T customer but they want a phone number on the 2nd page. Do I have to enter a phone number? If so what number should I enter? My home number or tracfone number? I haven't installed a sim in the Z2 yet. Also, it's saying their website is having network difficulties when I hit the submit button. Is this common? Anyways I kept trying and then it told me I attempted too many times and to come back in 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balloonshark View Post
    On the AT&T portal I tried it like I wasn't an AT&T customer but they want a phone number on the 2nd page. Do I have to enter a phone number? If so what number should I enter? My home number or tracfone number? I haven't installed a sim in the Z2 yet. Also, it's saying their website is having network difficulties when I hit the submit button. Is this common? Anyways I kept trying and then it told me I attempted too many times and to come back in 24 hours.
    is the phone activated yet ?? the phone must be activated in order for the phone to be unlocked.
    if not, the unlock request will fail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    is the phone activated yet ?? the phone must be activated in order for the phone to be unlocked.
    if not, the unlock request will fail.
    No it hasn't been activated with any service by me and I removed the preinstalled at&t sim before powering on the first time. At the portal it does recognize the IMEI which brings up the correct model number.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    High end according to people on hf who would die of convulsions is somebody spent more than $32.65 on a phone!

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    High end according to people on hf who would die of convulsions is somebody spent more than $32.65 on a phone!
    While there are a lot of low budget buyers here, there are plenty that will pay $500+ too (and more that could but choose not to).Just look at the Pixel and Galaxy Sx posts.

The Moto Z2 has high end specs. The fact it's on clearance or wasn't very popular doesn't change that.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Do not do anything until you get feedback from others on this site. It is my understanding if must be un-activated. Giving a phone number means it is activated and the unlock will be denied. Put in a foreign SIM and it will immediately ask for the unlock code (for that SIM to be accepted for activation).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On the AT&T portal I tried it like I wasn't an AT&T customer but they want a phone number on the 2nd page. Do I have to enter a phone number? If so what number should I enter? My home number or tracfone number?
    I just tried THIS SITE . I selected "No" for the question "Are you an AT&T wireless customer?" and the box that was asking for an AT&T phone number changed to asking for an IMEI. Since I don't have a valid IMEI to test, I couldn't get to Page 2 to see what is on there. I suppose a phone number requested on Page is just a contact number in case they need to call you. Give them a number where you want to be reached.

Now, the main question is whether or not the Z2 in this deal is considered an AT&T Prepaid phone. Is there anything on the box that indicates that it's an AT&T Prepaid phone. If it's NOT an AT&T Prepaid phone, I don't have any experience with them. You can stop reading here.

I haven't bought any AT&T Prepaid/GoPhone recently, so I don't know if their rules have changed. For a GoPhone that was sold about 2 years ago... they would give you the unlock code if your phone had not been activated/used on GoPhone. If it was activated on GoPhone, then you would have to complete the required period (a month, 3 months, 6 months? I don't remember). That's why I suggested that you removed the pre-installed SIM before powering it up.

Back in 2016, I bought an AT&T GoPhone Lumia 640 and an AT&T GoPhone Phoenix 2. I requested an unlock code for the Lumia, got it, unlocked it, gave it to my sister. I didn't request an unlock code for the Phoenix 2 at that time because it accepted my TF/AT&T BYOP SIM out of the box. Then around August this year, I wanted to unlock it to use with Ting/T-mobile. I submitted a request to AT&T and they promptly gave me an unlock code. I was surprised that they still did that for a phone purchased in 2016.

Feedback Score
    When you get to the 2nd page of the portal it wants something which I can't recall at this moment, a phone number and your email twice so it's correct. The Submit button did go from grey to blue even though I didn't enter an email. Their site just didn't work.

Here is what the back of the box says. It looks like we might be good if it's not activated like you all mentioned. Also, the sim has an AT&T logo and a bunch of numbers. The instruction manual has an AT&T logo and gets around to mentioning AT&T apps and help.

Name:  atandt.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  132.6 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    An AT&T Prepaid phone comes in a box like this, with AT&T Prepaid prominently shown on the box. If your phone doesn't come in a box like that, then it's not an AT&T Prepaid phone, and I don't know what the requirements are for AT&T to unlock it.

Name:  AT&T-Prepaid-Phone.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  30.5 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks. It's a smaller box with AT&T logo on the front with no mention anywhere about prepaid except the back in the picture I posted.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a smaller box with AT&T logo on the front with no mention anywhere about prepaid except the back in the picture I posted.
    So it's similar to my AT&T LG G3 that I bought used on Ebay. Basically, it was made for AT&T by Motorola. AT&T will sell it to their postpaid customers at a reduced price, or sell it to anyone at a higher price. They probably will require you to pay a "ransom" of certain amount, or use it on AT&T postpaid/prepaid for a number of months before they'll unlock it. You might want to check Ebay to see if there are sellers of unlock code at a reasonable price. I bought a code to unlock my Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 last year and it was only $2-$3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    So it's similar to my AT&T LG G3 that I bought used on Ebay. Basically, it was made for AT&T by Motorola. AT&T will sell it to their postpaid customers at a reduced price, or sell it to anyone at a higher price. They probably will require you to pay a "ransom" of certain amount, or use it on AT&T postpaid/prepaid for a number of months before they'll unlock it. You might want to check Ebay to see if there are sellers of unlock code at a reasonable price. I bought a code to unlock my Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 last year and it was only $2-$3.
    Pretty much. Other than the logo, the pic I posted and one of the 4 bar codes there are no other mentions of AT&T on the box. If I can't unlock it myself I will consider paying. Not even sure what benefits it would give me since I'll continue using tracfone for now and I live in a GSM only area in WV anyways. I was just trying to unlock it in case I need to sell it or want to switch to a different service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    An AT&T Prepaid phone comes in a box like this, with AT&T Prepaid prominently shown on the box. If your phone doesn't come in a box like that, then it's not an AT&T Prepaid phone, and I don't know what the requirements are for AT&T to unlock it.

the phone must be active for at least 6 months, after that then you can
    request the phone to be unlocked. now i have heard of a few people getting the phone
    unlocked even before the 6 months are up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3