Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AT&T Prepaid eSIM Success!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuper View Post
    ...I was able to add a GigSky eSIM and FreedomPop nanoSIM. I had the physical SIM active and could switch between two eSIMs.
    I'm currently researching low cost alternatives for when my 1 month of AT&T Prepaid runs out. I see that FreedomPop is as low as $9.99/mo for 2GB data when prepaid for a year. It's unclear to me if that includes a phone number for calls/SMS that can be used on the secondary line, or if that's only via the app using data? Since DSDS can only use one data connection at a time, an app only call/SMS experience wouldn't work to be able to use the secondary line for calls/SMS on-the-fly as intended by Apple. What's your experience with FreedomPop in the physical SIM card slot?

As promised earlier, here's my screen recording of FieldTest while driving around: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...reen-recording
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    How do you move an esim to another phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    How do you move an esim to another phone?
    take your phone to your nearest AT&T store and have them transfer your service.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    I'm currently researching low cost alternatives for when my 1 month of AT&T Prepaid runs out. I see that FreedomPop is as low as $9.99/mo for 2GB data when prepaid for a year. It's unclear to me if that includes a phone number for calls/SMS that can be used on the secondary line, or if that's only via the app using data? Since DSDS can only use one data connection at a time, an app only call/SMS experience wouldn't work to be able to use the secondary line for calls/SMS on-the-fly as intended by Apple. What's your experience with FreedomPop in the physical SIM card slot?

I’m trying to follow why it wouldn’t work. From the other threads, it seems that you have Verizon on the eSIM, and are looking for an AT&T plan as a secondary. Are you plannng on using the AT&T data as a primary or as a fallback? Either way an app-based calling feature will work with whichever data line is active as it is not restricted to only data over that carrier. Your FP app will ring through the app as long as you have any data connection, whether over cellular or Wi-Fi.

So no matter which is the default data line, your primary Verizon line will ring through the phone’s native calling app, and FP will ring through their own app. FP call quality is a mixed bag, sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s not. To be fair, this is somewhat true for any over-the-top calling app, though my experience is that others adjust better to the data connection quality than FP.

As an aside, if you really just want a backup AT&T data line and 1GB per month is enough, FP also offers a $50 annual plan with 1GB/month sold at BestBuy.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I’m trying to follow why it wouldn’t work....
    It wouldn’t work via Apple’s experience on-the-fly - such as being in the Phone app and being able to select primary or secondary line for specific calls and contacts.

However, I just ordered an UNREAL Mobile 2GB/month 3 month SIM kit from Best Buy for $24. They appear to issue a real number that doesn’t have to be used with an app.

Right now I’ve got my primary VZW line in the physical SIM slot, and AT&T Prepaid as eSIM. Once my UNREAL SIM kit arrives I plan on switching VZW to eSIM, then use the UNREAL SIM mainly for data backup and field testing. I may also swap in my spare Google Fi data SIM from time-to-time for testing purposes, but I already have a Pixel 3 for testing T-Mobile & Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I just got esim activated for my existing AT&T prepaid. Went to the store beneath at AT&T HQ in Dallas... the lady gave me a QR card for $5 and I was able to call customer service and get the new SIM card activated. It took about 30 mins before the service switched over to the esim. Everything working fine since then

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    It wouldn’t work via Apple’s experience on-the-fly - such as being in the Phone app and being able to select primary or secondary line for specific calls and contacts.

However, I just ordered an UNREAL Mobile 2GB/month 3 month SIM kit from Best Buy for $24. They appear to issue a real number...
    I am pretty sure they use VOIP — just rebranded FP type service. The web site says it is VOIP, though they were supposed to roll out a sprint variant that wasn’t.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I am pretty sure they use VOIP — just rebranded FP type service. The web site says it is VOIP, though they were supposed to roll out a sprint variant that wasn’t.
    Well you were right about it being VoIP - despite what their website says:
    Cellular calls are enabled by default, however, if you'd like to use your UNREAL Mobile service with a different device, you'll have to enable VoIP calls instead.
    It took a call to UNREAL Mobile tech support to get data working. Speeds with UNREAL Mobile appear to be throttled at 10 Mbps, and ping times are 150ms+ compared to <50ms with AT&T. Perhaps it the required installation of the Configuration Profile on iPhone slowing things down?

Feedback Score
    I currently have AT&T prepaid on an eSIM and a Verizon physical SIM on my Pixel 3 XL. I'm able to switch between the two with no issues. Now to wait for VoLTE on prepaid...

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorB0NG View Post
    I currently have AT&T prepaid on an eSIM and a Verizon physical SIM on my Pixel 3 XL. I'm able to switch between the two with no issues. Now to wait for VoLTE on prepaid...
    Could you provide steps of how you got att prepaid activated on pixel 3 esim? I am planning to get an att prepaid plan for travel. Thanks

Feedback Score
    What's the latest on switching existing customer to esim on an iPhone XR? Just go to a corporate store and shouldn't have any problems?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slider33549 View Post
    What's the latest on switching existing customer to esim on an iPhone XR? Just go to a corporate store and shouldn't have any problems?
    Yes. I have done that twice now with 2 different stores in the DFW area. When activating the esim, make sure you connect to the store WiFi or the sim won’t activate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So has anyone else successfully done this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2