Thread: Rapid battery drain

Feedback Score

Rapid battery drain

My android smartphone is on a pay-as-you-go plan with AT&T, so I don't use it like most people do. I don't browse the internet and send text messages. In fact, I often go all day long without ever checking my phone or making a call. So the amount of battery drain I see during a day is usually around 8% over a 24 hour period. I leave data and Wi-fi turned off all the time.

Imagine my surprise when I charge up my phone one day, and then wake up the next day to find my phone battery completely dead! I charged it back up and checked my apps to make sure nothing was running abnormally. I checked the battery app and it showed that the battery level took a sudden nosedive in the middle of the night and completely drained the battery. What could possibly cause that to happen?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    My android smartphone is on a pay-as-you-go plan with AT&T, so I don't use it like most people do. I don't browse the internet and send text messages. In fact, I often go all day long without ever checking my phone or making a call. So the amount of battery drain I see during a day is usually around 8% over a 24 hour period. I leave data and Wi-fi turned off all the time.

Imagine my surprise when I charge up my phone one day, and then wake up the next day to find my phone battery completely dead! I charged it back up and checked my apps to make sure nothing was running abnormally. I checked the battery app and it showed that the battery level took a sudden nosedive in the middle of the night and completely drained the battery. What could possibly cause that to happen?
    The most typical cause of this for reasonably new batteries that have not been abused is the charge controller in the phone losing track of the state of the battery.

When was the last time you let the phone run until it shut down for a low battery then fully recharged it? Doing that "calibrates" the charge controller. I find that once a year or so is enough. More is not better. It is hard on the battery.

I have experienced the same thing. Doing the "calibration" cycle has fixed the ones that were not really a battery gone bad.

Take a look at the battery. If it appears to have swelled, get a new one before it leaks and ruins the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The most typical cause of this for reasonably new batteries that have not been abused is the charge controller in the phone losing track of the state of the battery.

When was the last time you let the phone run until it shut down for a low battery then fully recharged it? Doing that "calibrates" the charge controller. I find that once a year or so is enough. More is not better. It is hard on the battery.

I have experienced the same thing. Doing the "calibration" cycle has fixed the ones that were not really a battery gone bad.

Take a look at the battery. If it appears to have swelled, get a new one before it leaks and ruins the phone.
    Ok, I'll let it run down to where the phone no longer works and then do a full charge up. To answer your question, I haven't done that in a long time. I usually just charge it up to about 70% because I was told that charging fully wears it out faster and 70% was about optimal. Since I hardly use the thing, battery usage is pretty low for me.