Thread: Still nothing? (cheap but good VoLTE basic phones for PPC)...

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Still nothing? (cheap but good VoLTE basic phones for PPC)...

Seems like its just the LG Exalt and Kyoceras... (which are getting middling to crummy reviews)

I hope the selection gets better by mid-2019. Either something GOOD has to come along by then, in the way of inexpensive (under $50, I can get an iPhone SE for $100) basic (not smart) VoLTE phones for PPC/Verizon prepaid/etc or I'd guess a lot of folks will jump to the AT&T or even Tmo network...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Did you see these threads? I don't know how it would do in meeting your expectations, but it's another option, and there's not too much to lose at $9.99.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...lcatel-My-Flip
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...9-at-Best-Buy-!

TracFone - MYFLIP A405DL
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=6254220
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    I read somewhere the ZTE Z233VL is VoLTE. Have one coming from ebay ($10). It doesn't have wifi but it's for my mom, she only uses calls (no text, data, wifi). I'll report back.

I'm in the same boat as some others. Just need a basic flip for mom (she's 88). She only uses it if she needs to make a long distance call maybe once or twice a month so PP works great and even a basic smart would confuse the hell out of her. Not as much an issue for me since any compatible smart is fine, I'm just trying to learn all this locked, unlocked, compatibility stuff so I'm not tied down to PP. I'm a low user too and prefer PP standard one bucket plans. Work great for my minimal use. Seems universal unlocked (GSM/CDMA/LTE) any carrier is the route for me. So for me the VoLTE, wifi, OTG, and a small display (4.5"), are my desired targets. Moms desired target is just a plain old flip voice phone.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did you see these threads? I don't know how it would do in meeting your expectations, but it's another option, and there's not too much to lose at $9.99.
    Looks promising, thanks for the tip...

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    Alcatel TCL LX. It's a Tracfone but activated fine. Now 29.99 at BB and Walmart.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=6288020

Feedback Score

Still nothing? (cheap but good VoLTE basic phones for PPC)...

Quote Originally Posted by Nokiayes View Post
    Alcatel TCL LX. It's a Tracfone but activated fine. Now 29.99 at BB and Walmart.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=6288020
    This phone activated on Page Plus?? The specs on the Best Buy site you linked say it's a GSM phone and doesn't have CDMA. Were you using a Page Plus SIM that was already activated, or did Page Plus activate this phone directly using its MEID? I ask because it wouldn't be on Verizon's whitelist as a GSM phone. And I wonder how it could do voice, which uses a CDMA radio, unless the account has VoLTE enabled.
    Last edited by aKansasKid; 12-18-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    This phone activated on Page Plus?? The specs on the Best Buy site you linked say it's a GSM phone and doesn't have CDMA. Were you using a Page Plus SIM that was already activated, or did Page Plus activate this phone directly using its MEID? I ask because it wouldn't be on Verizon's whitelist as a GSM phone. And I wonder how it could do voice, which uses a CDMA radio, unless the account has VoLTE enabled.
    I jotted down several IMEIs off different model Tracfone boxes at best buy (not the TCL LX though) and ran them through the IMEI check at PP. All I checked were good to go. All the Verizon LTE bands are on the LX, as well as 3G GSM freqs for voice. The Voice is over LTE on Verizon, doesn't need CDMA (even though it is still active through 2019 for MVNOs). The LX must be VoLTE. Plus I think BestBuy indicates GSM on all the specs. It appears that at least the "new" TFs, or any phone (except maybe a Sprint branded) don't have CDMA anymore. From what I've run into, Verizon's "white list" is more for Verizon branded or unlocked phones, not branded MVNO phones.

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I used the sim that came in the phone-a Tracfone nano sim. It's working now on Verizon via Page Plus. I ran the IMEI thru the PP checker before I opened the box. IMEI checked OK. All they asked was the IMEI and the sim # for transfer, as well as the MEID of the old phone. Everything worked immediately-no additional settings needed.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I used the sim that came in the phone-a Tracfone nano sim. It's working now on Verizon via Page Plus. I ran the IMEI thru the PP checker before I opened the box. IMEI checked OK. All they asked was the IMEI and the sim # for transfer, as well as the MEID of the old phone. Everything worked immediately-no additional settings needed.
    Did you activate on an existing PP number that already had VoLTE? I can’t get VoLTE on my iPhone, but am using a SIM activated before PP offered VoLTE. Maybe if I move service to a new SIM, it would help.

Feedback Score
    Did you activate on an existing PP number that already had VoLTE? I can’t get VoLTE on my iPhone, but am using a SIM activated before PP offered VoLTE. Maybe if I move service to a new SIM, it would help.
    I did read somewhere in here that if your phone was activated awhile ago you may have to get a new SIM; or reactivate or something. Someone in here should know for sure.

Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    I've had the # for 15 years. Always on Page Plus 3G. Used the sim that came in new phone, so it was newer manufactured.

Feedback Score
    I've had the # for 15 years. Always on Page Plus 3G. Used the sim that came in new phone, so it was newer manufactured.
    Thanks! I suspect the new SIM is the key.

Feedback Score
    I had the same issue but mistakenly let my $29.99 per monh plan expire for a few hours. When i added the new pin I got a message to restart the phone to reactivate data and after that I had HD Voice and Visual Voicemail. Might be worth a try if you don't have pins stacked up.