Thread: FreeUp - Lots of spam calls and texts - how to turn off incoming texts, voicemail?

Feedback Score

FreeUp - Lots of spam calls and texts - how to turn off incoming texts, voicemail?

So activating my FreeUp sim was painless, calls/texts/data worked smoothly, and I was starting to feel very happy with my FreeUp free plan purchase. Until...

Until twenty minutes later when I started getting calls and texts from lots of telemarketers and debt collectors. One of those even said that I had consented to have the number called by promotional companies. This is a brand new FreeUp number, when did I ever consent to telemarketing calls?!!?

So anyways, my 500 free minutes/texts are in danger of being eaten up by telemarketing calls and telemarketing texts. (Hopefully, giving out phone numbers is NOT how FreeUp keeps its service free!) How do I turn off incoming texts? And is there a way to disable voicemail? I looked in my FreeUp account, hoping it would be set up like Tello, where you can turn off texting and disable voicemail through the Tello dashboard. FreeUp's account doesn't seem to have that functionality (or maybe I just didn't find it). Do any of you good folks know how to achieve this? Thanks a ton for any help.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If in your shoes I would just get another number. I went through the same thing once & finally just couldn't stand getting calls & texts looking for "Tyangela" anymore. (She must have been a real ho!!) Switching to a new number solved the problem.

Feedback Score
    Very rarely a number is truly new, almost all are just recycled and attributed to new customers.

You just had bad luck, on mine so far got zero spam calls and SMS. Changing to other number will fix it.

Feedback Score
    Getting a ton of SPAM calls has nothing to do with FreeUp Mobile, it has to do with the previous owner of the phone # you are using. Simply get a new phone number. In addition, download any app such as trucaller and block every number that is SPAM/Scammer that calls you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackguy7 View Post
    ... In addition, download any app such as trucaller and block every number that is SPAM/Scammer that calls you.
    Downloaded Truecaller, but it's asking me to set it as the default dialer. Is that how it's supposed to work?
    (Also, I've been manually blocking all these numbers after every call. Is there an added advantage that Truecaller offers?)
    Thanks - I avoid downloading apps if I can.

Feedback Score
    Well, I think, about the texts, yo could ask them to verify whether they really sell your information to other parties. Yo could even tell them that you could sue them because of these calls and texts. I have just read at https://www.lemberglaw.com/tcpa/spam-text-messages/ about this matter. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackguy7 View Post
    Getting a ton of SPAM calls has nothing to do with FreeUp Mobile, it has to do with the previous owner of the phone # you are using. Simply get a new phone number. In addition, download any app such as trucaller and block every number that is SPAM/Scammer that calls you.
    Incorrect. Spam is coming because of registration in FreeUp rewards program.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Maybe, but do you have any proof that FreeUp is selling customer numbers to telemarketers?
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4s W10M, Alcatel Pop 4+
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop LTE, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    What's your evidence for this assertion? I have a FreeUp line and it hasn't gotten any spam calls in the week or ten days it's been active...
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Feedback Score
    OP here. Got a new number. Life is good again. Thank you, folks here.