Thread: Freedom Mobile Goes Off The Rails

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Freedom Mobile Goes Off The Rails

Name:  facepalm.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  35.7 KB

Look, I totally get that Freedom Mobile is in a tough spot right now, standing alone as the only (almost) nationwide alternative to The Big Three. But if the rumour about their latest promotion turns out to be true, I won't be the only Canadian doing this tomorrow.

Let me first remind you of the predicament that FM is currently in. I don't think they're competing with the Big Three proper, per se—Bell, Rogers and Telus seem to thrive on family plans with shared data—but they are most definitely trying to win business from the second-tier "youth" brands, aka Fido, Koodo and Virgin. At the same time, they're being squeezed by third-tier carriers (Chatr, Public and Lucky) offering slower 3G data but at similar rates.

So what they've come up with, according to an iPhone in Canada exclusive, is a $43/month plan with 3GB of LTE data and 6.5GB of 3G data. To alleviate the legendary suck of their legacy HSPA+ network they're also throwing in a one-time LTE "big binge" of 15GB.

Confused? I'm pretty sure that's the point.... Most users won't realize how small their usable data bucket is until at least a couple of months in, when they've gobbled up their extra 15 gigs and, not coincidentally, any late-breaking holiday promos from Fido, Koodo or Virgin will have come and gone.

Source: iPhone in Canada
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Zed 30, Z10, 9900, 9780, 8530, W995a, u8a, w508, w980, w380a and a few Z710s
    Carrier(s)
    au revoir Robbers... bonjour Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    it still svcks huge donkey bolls that having a reliable service in Canada is still a luxury in 2018.

If it weren't for the fact that some folks are really tapped out at anything over $1 to $1.50/day in mobile costs, freedumb mobile would have evaporated long ago as their network can't be compared to something like Bell or Telus.

Paring away whatever usable portion of their service is left to keep margins healthy, again, just svcks

Feedback Score
    Why does this country need 5G when heavily throttled LTE is the next big thing? Chatr/Mobilicity started the revolution and now everybody is into it.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    How much data does average user use in data?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    How much data does average user use in data?
    This stat is useless. People in Canada use less data because they have to. So throwing that number around like the Big 3 love to do is moot.

Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile & Telus $20/5gb
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that throttled data does not mean that it is on the hspa network, it could very well (and likely) be on the LTE network.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't switch you to their "legacy HSPA" network, you stay on LTE with speed just throttled to a maximum DL of 3.6Mbps. More than enough speed for many mobile activities.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgartly View Post
    Keep in mind that throttled data does not mean that it is on the hspa network, it could very well (and likely) be on the LTE network.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinly84 View Post
    It doesn't switch you to their "legacy HSPA" network, you stay on LTE with speed just throttled to a maximum DL of 3.6Mbps. More than enough speed for many mobile activities.
    If this is accurate, and it probably is based on the "Customers will see “LTE” in the top right corner of their smartphone, regardless of whether they’re using LTE or 3G data" statement at the iPhone in Canada article linked in the OP, this new FM plan is a really good thing!

Of course, how well the throttled "up to" 3.6Mbps portion really works remains to be seen.

Feedback Score
    I went into Freedom to ask about the $43 plan. It sounded ok.

Right now I pay $60 for 10Gb @ rogers. But I have my own phone (S8)

Freedom has Note 9's for $30 Tab and $65 plan. 10Gb and 100GB bank. Nothing special...

Until they tell you they will take 25% off the plan. That sounded better to me.

So I walked out with a Note 9 w/ 10Gb (+100Gb bank) for $73 a month.
    Difference between current plan and new plan... I pay about $360 more over 2 years but I have a Note 9 in my pocket.
    NEW GIGABYTE MODEM

NEW ROCKET MODEM

ENHANCED MODEM

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    This is why I all but moved away from FM except one old F&F plan. The plans are getting rediculously confusing for the average person to know what they paid and get. I hate temporary pormos. Today my two mian lines are each 16GB for $55 with tab subsidies on Koodo and couldn’t be happier. Never mind the recpetion and data speed improvements, IMO, FM priicng lately isn’t that far off from the second tier MVNOs. They have all started to closely price match, you get things like $40 8GB plans with tab discounts.

That said, everybody is doing the bonus data thing, but the “big binge” just adds to the complexity. What will be next? Data buckets for nights and weekends? I thought we were done with all that.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    That said, everybody is doing the bonus data thing, but the “big binge” just adds to the complexity. What will be next? Data buckets for nights and weekends? I thought we were done with all that.
    Rogers / Fido already doing the 5 hours of unlimited data per month.....

Just waiting for Bell and Telus to throw in something new to this mix.....

But all i can say is thanks to freedom / wind's existence, plans have come down....but then there are people that are still paying an arm and leg to get service through the big 3.

My large circle of family/friends is on Koodo plans as well as Freedom F&F 35% off from 2017 ......ranging from the SK/MB/QC Plans to Freedom $50-35% and Public migration offer....literally, its just educating yourself to save, nice thing about Koodo is one can do online upgrades even on those OOP plans (yes you have to take on a smaller tab but its worth it) and with freedom....buying the phones outright or second hand....couldn't be happier. EVERYONE saves money.....I remember when 1GB was $55....even as a negotiated deal....no we all have 8GB+ minimum....not that most of my circle uses all their data every month....Even I dont and I have 15GB on my main line and 8GB on my second work line. but for the price, its nice to have it.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    But all i can say is thanks to freedom / wind's existence, plans have come down....but then there are people that are still paying an arm and leg to get service through the big 3.
    This is the biggest pile of horse excrement
    Carriers are publicly traded so stats are easily obtainable

Average cost per client is way up on Big3 despite Freedom / Wind (and even their carrier ARPU is up)

The lowest drop in Canadian ARPU actually happened back in 2001 after Telus swallowed Microcell and Fido was still a 4th carrier

In general (even in recent days) postpaid equals high ARPU and prepay equals low ARPU
    So things like Telus encouraging migration from Public to Koodo has big impact on bottom lines

Even Freedom is strongly encouraging people to sign up for higher cost Pay After plans
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming