Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BGR article

Feedback Score

BGR article

Highlights the horrible fragmentation of Android, to put it into perspective, iOS and Android pie were relased around the same time, adaptation rate for iOS, 75%, pie 0%.. That's right, zero... Is price the only reason you stay with Android, because I can't think of any other reason at all? Seems like all the "hip" millennials have iPhones almost exclusively, and older people with smart phones seem to like iPhone as well. The future seems to be iPhone.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Highlights the horrible fragmentation of Android, to put it into perspective, iOS and Android pie were relased around the same time, adaptation rate for iOS, 75%, pie 0%.. That's right, zero... Is price the only reason you stay with Android, because I can't think of any other reason at all? Seems like all the "hip" millennials have iPhones almost exclusively, and older people with smart phones seem to like iPhone as well. The future seems to be iPhone.
    iOS does not allow some of the networking apps that I use because they know better than me what is good for me. Eff them.

Android fragmentation is a load of geek hype. I have Androids from 4.0.x to 8. I have no problem switching between them. They are not that much different.

Most people rarely if ever interact with the Android settings. They buy a phone and use it for a year or more and never do anything other than call, text, and touch an icon that uses data.

I started with an iPod Touch. I really don't see much difference. You touch and icon and it does what you expect.

Aside from Apple not allowing apps that I need, I would rather not pay the price for an iPhone.

All phones in a case look pretty much the same. Caring if one has "The Cool Phone" is juvenile.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Seems like all the "hip" millennials have iPhones almost exclusively,

"hip" millennials have never been a source of anything for me.

Is peer pressure that pervasive?

Feedback Score
    adaptation rate for iOS, 75%, pie 0%.. That's right, zero... Is price the only reason you stay with Android, because I can't think of any other reason at all? Seems like all the "hip" millennials have iPhones almost exclusively, and older people with smart phones seem to like iPhone as well. The future seems to be iPhone.

I stay with Android because Marshmallow, Nougat, and Oreo work perfectly well for 99.999% of uses.

Feedback Score
    this is what happens when a company controls hardware software and the os. Sometimes I am envious of i-devices b/c most have a longer software upgrade life, but I also dislike the walled garden and inflexibility of ios.

If you want better/longer/more frequent updates for android, but a pixel. Thats probably as close as one will get to what apple offers in terms of software updates

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It is a BGR. They have major iPhone bias. Anything they say about Android should be taken with a grain of salt. When you have different manufacturers making a product, you will have fragmentation. If you want the best experience with Android, buy one with great developer support or one from Google. I don't like forced obsolescence from Apple. An old Android can still get decent apps in the Play store unlike Apple.

Here is most likely the article, but Zach writes this junk often, so I'm not completely sure: https://bgr.com/2018/11/29/iphone-vs...-pie-adoption/

Feedback Score

BGR Article

I have used both. Frankly, I am thankful that will still have two competing systems.

It is sort of like carriers. I have used Nextel years ago, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. I was glad to have T-Mobile when I did and I think they helped to bring prices down from the others. I jumped ship to A Fee & Fee a couple of years ago, but ended up on Verizon and, now, Total Wireless.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S9 plan on any other new phones being universal, unlocked, so that a simple insert of a SIM card gets me going. When FirstNet leapfrogs over Verizon for coverage, I might go to Cricket Wireless.

Computers are similar. There are Apple, Chromebook and PCs. (Does anybody even say IBM compatible any longer.) As an amateur radio operator and someone who owns Garmin GPS devices that need to have map updates from time to time, a regular computer on Windows 10 is a given.

Our hand me down Chromebook may go traveling with me soon. Not that I want to lose it, but they are so inexpensive now that I don't worry about it being stolen or damaged. I know the limitations, but if I am just surfing the web, it is fine.

I am not saying I would never have an Apple product or iPhone, but right now I can't justify it. I am very glad that I didn't go with a Windows phone years ago, though!

Feedback Score
    The reason I like android is because the OS is open source.

The reason I don't like apple is because it is closed source and because apple is high priced. I think of apple as a luxury computer manufacturer and I never buy luxury products if I can help it.

Also it is the manufacturers and the carriers that cause most of the problems.

For example, boost mobile tries to lock you into a phone and plan that is grandfathered so you must pay more if you change phones.

It is also the carriers that try to lock the phones in the first place. There should be a law that all phones are unlocked. I don't want my carrier telling me what kind of phone I can use.

Some manufactures add their software or bloatware to android but I would prefer stock android.

Feedback Score

BGR Article

Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    ...There should be a law that all phones are unlocked...
    MEanwhile, in Canada...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/1...ed-canada-crtc

The CRTC, Canada’s wireless regulator, has ruled that every cellphone sold in the country must be unlocked, and carriers can no longer charge their customers to unlock their current devices, according to the CBC. The rules will take effect on December 1st, allowing customers to move to different carriers with their device as they wish.

According to the CBC, Canadian carriers charged their customers $50 Canadian dollars ($38) to unlock their devices, which added up to $37.7 million CAD ($28.5 million) in 2016. The carriers, of course, fought the ruling by the CRTC, claiming that customers should have to “bear the cost of the unlocking,” as Rogers vice president Howard Slawner said back in February, failing to note that carriers themselves lock devices.

But the argument is moot now. Canadian carrier customers will be able to unlock their phones at will come December.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    MEanwhile, in Canada...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/1...ed-canada-crtc

The CRTC, Canada’s wireless regulator, has ruled that every cellphone sold in the country must be unlocked, and carriers can no longer charge their customers to unlock their current devices, according to the CBC. The rules will take effect on December 1st, allowing customers to move to different carriers with their device as they wish.

According to the CBC, Canadian carriers charged their customers $50 Canadian dollars ($38) to unlock their devices, which added up to $37.7 million CAD ($28.5 million) in 2016. The carriers, of course, fought the ruling by the CRTC, claiming that customers should have to “bear the cost of the unlocking,” as Rogers vice president Howard Slawner said back in February, failing to note that carriers themselves lock devices.

But the argument is moot now. Canadian carrier customers will be able to unlock their phones at will come December.
    Yes, that happened LAST year, in 2017. However, having first-hand experience with the state of Canadian cellular service costs and the government complicity in stifling competition, I'll take what we have here over what they have there ANY day!

Feedback Score

I used to go with Android because it was cheaper. Now I go with it because it is better.

The iPhone has been out for over a decade, and the file system is still crude and difficult to use (essentially broken), while it is so easy on Android. (And yes, I have used the latest IOS file app, still crude and clumsy compared to the quick intuitive Android file access) And that is just one of the problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    The reason I like android is because the OS is open source.

The reason I don't like apple is because it is closed source and because apple is high priced. I think of apple as a luxury computer manufacturer and I never buy luxury products if I can help it.

Also it is the manufacturers and the carriers that cause most of the problems.

For example, boost mobile tries to lock you into a phone and plan that is grandfathered so you must pay more if you change phones.

It is also the carriers that try to lock the phones in the first place. There should be a law that all phones are unlocked. I don't want my carrier telling me what kind of phone I can use.

Some manufactures add their software or bloatware to android but I would prefer stock android.
    Boost mobile locking is the least of its problems. It hardly working anywhere where Americans need to use their phones is a much bigger problem.

Feedback Score
    I'll admit that Iphones are easier to use and great for the technically challenged but I much prefer Android. I'm always purchasing and messing around with Android phones because I enjoy it. Lots of phone choices with sd slots and I love customizing my phones. Can you even download different launchers for Iphones???

Feedback Score
    Screw crapple.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score

BGR Article

Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I'll admit that Iphones are easier to use and great for the technically challenged but I much prefer Android. I'm always purchasing and messing around with Android phones because I enjoy it. Lots of phone choices with sd slots and I love customizing my phones. Can you even download different launchers for Iphones???
    A Couple of things that steered me away from Apple years ago were:

-The end user could not swap out the battery.

-The end user couldn't add additional memory with a micro SD card.

Unfortunately, many/most Android phones don't allow the battery swap any longer, but the ones I have had recently do allow micro SDs.

However, the one Apple feature that interests me right now is the capability of dual SIM cards. I think it would be pretty sweet to have BOTH AT&T AND Verizon capability in one phone.

Oh, with regard to the battery issue, I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S9 and have both a Zero Lemon and Mophie battery case. The Mophie will be for "everyday" and the Zero Lemon will be for flights, ATV trips, etc.

Long term future for me will be to eventually switch to AT&T, or Cricket, whenever their footprint "leap-frogs" over Verizon's coverage. Then, I will give some serious consecrations to a Motorola LEX L11 or Sonim XP8. Of course, by the time all that happens, or if it happens, the de facto choices might be Motorola LEX L12 or Sonim XP9! Anyway, the current Motorola LEX L11 or Sonim XP8 allow battery swapping. They are public safety rugged and that is what I want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast