Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile tested 5G at 600 MHz covers ‘100's of square miles

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I have read that 5G specs require "at least 100MHz of free spectrum" Maybe I am misunderstanding that because who has a free 100mhz lying around?

https://arstechnica.com/information-...mt-2020-specs/
    That article was published in early 2017. A lot has changed since then. Sub 6 NR will be able to operate in the same channel widths as the current LTE spec but with higher efficiency. I imagine 6 GHz and greater will have 100 MHz channels at easy disposal, as NR at 6 GHz or higher is actually a TDD technology.

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    That article was published in early 2017. A lot has changed since then. Sub 6 NR will be able to operate in the same channel widths as the current LTE spec but with higher efficiency. I imagine 6 GHz and greater will have 100 MHz channels at easy disposal, as NR at 6 GHz or higher is actually a TDD technology.
    Do you have a recent link detailing the changes? Just curious since I haven't really seen a breakdown other than what I posted.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I didn’t realize that Sprint’s 14 MHz SMR license is more than T-Mobile’s 41 MHz of 600 MHz + 700 MHz licenses. ”Least amount of low band spectrum of any national carrier”

Sent from my iPhone Xs using HoFo
    T-Mobile May own more Sub- 1Ghz now than Sprint but it still hasn’t been deployed yet since the TV Stations haven’t vacacated that 600 MHz. Also, there are many areas in where T-Mobile doesn’t have any Band 12. Take Mississippi that only Sub- 1 GHz deployed is about 6 to 10 Cell Towers with some 600 MHz in the whole state.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by james4209 View Post
    Yeah, I'll believe that just like they said Band 12 was going to fix all of their coverage problems.
    Imo,just hanging any band of antenna on some or better yet all the towers which currently already have(and have had dirt years) vzw, att or whatever antennas would help a lot.

It's like the antenna hanging crew didn't see all these available tower sites. And there thousands of them.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and S9+
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Imo,just hanging any band of antenna on some or better yet all the towers which currently already have(and have had dirt years) vzw, att or whatever antennas would help a lot.

It's like the antenna hanging crew didn't see all these available tower sites. And there thousands of them.
    .......................huh?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    .......................huh?
    Duh...

Everyone is acting like 600 mhz is going to magically address tm's lack of coverage in non metro areas. It ain't. Somehow vzw & Att currently have better coverage because they have antennas in areas that Tm doesn't and unless that's changed, Tm will continue to have coverage issues.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well I think T-Mobile is still addressing tower issues. In a suburban town where my sister and parents live I’d always have either edge or no service and sporadic LTE. Over the last few weeks I now get some solid LTE in both my parents house and sisters house. There is no 600 in the area yet. So they lit something up recently.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    Well I think T-Mobile is still addressing tower issues. In a suburban town where my sister and parents live I’d always have either edge or no service and sporadic LTE. Over the last few weeks I now get some solid LTE in both my parents house and sisters house. There is no 600 in the area yet. So they lit something up recently.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    That's good and I'm sure they are, as insinuated in my remark above. I strongly hope their coverage is improved, but as I also mentioned there's a lot of room to improve, as even their coverage maps indicate when detail scale is to the smallest increment. There are lots of areas where coverage is over rated, even when the map indicates the weakest coverage possible. If they simply replace or sdd additional antennas to existing structures, yes there may be increases to some degree, but nothing to get excited about. Also lower fx carriers less amounts of data to some extent. But the vast no service areas for the most part will continue to exist without additional antenna (tower) placement, regardless of fx used.

By the way when did we start referring to 600 Mhz as low frequency or low band?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to put new antennas the size of a Jetta onto existing T-Mobile towers but when they get Sprint's band 41 and likely add CBRS spectrum through auction T-Mobile may be unstoppable. That's certainly one reason Verizon is running fiber like crazy outside their ILEC footprint for their mmwave - because if they don't they lost the race before it even started.

"T-Mobile wants 5G, but can they achieve maximum performance on 5G in 600MHz? I would like to think so but the spectrum would make the equipment huge, so that may be a drawback. It is going to be a challenge, and it explains why T-Mo is trying so hard to get more of the 3.5GHz spectrum."
    https://wade4wireless.com/2018/02/19...ectrum-for-5g/

"Low Band frequencies such as 700, 800, 900 MHz in Europe would require clearly impractical antenna sizes."
    http://research.rewheel.fi/downloads...e_12042018.pdf

"The low band (600 MHz) systems will always be limited in capacity and are not future proof no matter what special massive Mimo is used- the antennas will be too large and the bandwidths are too small, and simply can't carry the bandwidths of mmwave-- the RF channel allocations are simply too small. The wider bandwidth channels at mmwave is the only way to carry the multi Gbps data rates that will be seen in 5G. And to simultaneously also provide backhaul between cells in the same network."
    http://wirelessone.news/10-r/1037-pr...-mhz-are-a-dud

"With 2.5 GHz, it is possible to put so many small – about 1.5-by-1.5-inch – antennas in a radio set that has a total footprint of about two by two feet, or the size of an extra-large pizza box. If you tried to do that with 600 MHz transmission, the antenna array would be the size of a small automobile."
    https://business.sprint.com/blog/new...assive-signal/

"The low-band spectrum, however, doesn't offer the same level of speed or low latency as millimeter-wave spectrum."
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...e-5g-race.aspx

The secret sauce in millimeter wave is 400 MHz and 800 MHz channels. The 600 MHz and other low band use 20 and 40 MHz. Tmo' 600 MHz will probably be 400-700 megabits. mmWave is delivering 10gig and 20 gig in the laboratory. Verizon is getting 1 gig to each customer in their trials and can go higher.
    http://wirelessone.news/10-r/1037-pr...-mhz-are-a-dud
    Interesting. I've never seen any "array" except atop a tower so can’t judge size, as they look pretty big, in that a 4x8 sheet of plywood at distances look rather small.

Could you give some sizes for various bands. Also, the array is a group of the smaller antenna assemblies, right? And what are their approximate sizes?

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I've never seen any "array" except atop a tower so can’t judge size, as they look pretty big, in that a 4x8 sheet of plywood at distances look rather small.

Could you give some sizes for various bands. Also, the array is a group of the smaller antenna assemblies, right? And what are their approximate sizes?
    The array of antennas is inside the panels we see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_viwNztMP0

Antennas typically use half-wave elements. You can calculate the size of a half-wave element.

c/f/2, where c is the speed of light, f is the frequency in Hz.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LOL, is it like 3 users in that hundreds of square miles? I have been to places which has solid 4 bars of LTE yet I get almost no data because there is a big crowd.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

The more users they want to support with something approximating 5G the more elements they are going to need. Massive MIMO is a requirement for 5G and as one of those quotes from links stated Massive MIMO at 600mhz will require antennas the size of a small car which is where I took the Jetta analogy. As another poster pointed out the new antennas T-Mobile is putting up for 600 are 2x8 and that is just to extend coverage - nothing special re mimo. Just going from Band 12 to Band 71 adds an additional foot to the elements. That also according to that poster (on page one of this thread) is already causing some structural issues with the increased load they represent on the tower.

Not that Tmobile isn't going to be able to pull this off just that they really need Sprint's spectrum to be the main avenue for 5G. Those Jetta size antennas just may not be possible on all existing towers. When theory meets the road so to speak is not always so smooth.

I've read a lot of stories about carrier concerns prior to the band 71 auction and antenna size came up as an issue. I've wondered whether spacing was an issue for a carrier that may be near the top or between two carriers already too. Maybe being on the bottom would be preferable since you could just drop down.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The spacing issue is horizontal on the same arrays as those bands could cause interference. I've dealt with that more on the AT&T side since they have a couple of low band frequencies that don't play nice with each other.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Duh...

Everyone is acting like 600 mhz is going to magically address tm's lack of coverage in non metro areas. It ain't. Somehow vzw & Att currently have better coverage because they have antennas in areas that Tm doesn't and unless that's changed, Tm will continue to have coverage issues.
    No that's not accurate since both AT&T and Verizon don't come close to full coverage nationwide either. However T-Mobile's 600 Mhz sure will help in T-Mobile's biggest problem of better coverage in rural areas if you know anything about low frequency Spectrum. T-Mobile in most metro areas has pretty good coverage with a few exceptions. However it sure seems like those that hate T-Mobile will never stop attacking T-Mobile no matter how good T-Mobile gets. Really people that hate T-Mobile should stop paying for T-Mobile service just so they can claim how bad their service is. T-Mobile has over 77.25 million customers that thinks T-Mobile is a great company since anyone that pays for something they don't like is really just their own personal issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    No that's not accurate since both AT&T and Verizon don't come close to full coverage nationwide either. However T-Mobile's 600 Mhz sure will help in T-Mobile's biggest problem of better coverage in rural areas if you know anything about low frequency Spectrum. T-Mobile in most metro areas has pretty good coverage with a few exceptions. However it sure seems like those that hate T-Mobile will never stop attacking T-Mobile no matter how good T-Mobile gets. Really people that hate T-Mobile should stop paying for T-Mobile service just so they can claim how bad their service is. T-Mobile has over 77.25 million customers that thinks T-Mobile is a great company since anyone that pays for something they don't like is really just their own personal issue.
    I think what ticks people off about tmobile are some of the bogus claims they make. They really put a twist on the marketing just like the rest and being the uncarrier that makes it even worse.

TMobile has gotten leaps and bounds better network wise but price and the uncarrier seem to be out of whack

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast