Thread: Secret Government Documents Reveal The Obvious

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score

Post Secret Government Documents Reveal The Obvious

Name:  smithers.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  15.4 KB

So there's this site called The Logic which, near as I can tell, seems like a Canadian version of paywalled tech news site The Information. They claim to have gotten their hands on a classified government report; from the first few lines of their story it doesn't seem like there's anything there that we didn't already know: Canada's wireless market could benefit from some foreign competition.

iPhone in Canada has read the full piece, and there's maybe a bit more to it than that (but not much). For example, the classified report states that since T-Mobile entered the U.S. market the average cost of wireless plans declined by 50 percent. Then there's Mexico, where prices dropped 75 percent after AT&T was allowed to do business there.

So how could Canada facilitate international players setting up shop here? Well, the USMCA already calls for the elimination of of anti-competitive practices by telcos in member countries. Failing that, our government could always revise Canada's Telecommunications Act.

You can read more details at the second link below. To read the full story, however, you'll have to sign up for a subscription plan with The Logic. Be sure to copy and paste the full text here if you do.

Source: The Logic via iPhone in Canada
    Last edited by acurrie; 11-28-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pretty sure this report has already been burned and its existence will be denied...

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Wind used to have huge international backing (which violated our ownership rules but whatever)

Problem is no company wants to pour billions into building a network
    Shareholders see stock plunge and clients expect dirt cheap prices for unreliable networks with less coverage

T-Mobile has been failing as a business and has been trying (unsuccessfully) to get bought out (ala Fido) for a few years by every other major US carrier
    We shall see if government lets the New T-Mobile merger go through (Sprint + TMobile)

But if USA can not stomach 4 national carriers I have always shook my head at the idea we are insisting on it
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    I agree that it is hard to imagine another telco coming in and building a network from ground up.
    BUT....what about MVNOs? Properly regulated and with reasonable acces tariffs...a la TPIA, which are quite the driver for today's internet prices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    I agree that it is hard to imagine another telco coming in and building a network from ground up.
    BUT....what about MVNOs? Properly regulated and with reasonable acces tariffs...a la TPIA, which are quite the driver for today's internet prices.
    Agree completely, If it works with TPIAs, why not with MVNOs? I don't buy the "this market can not sustain MVNOs" theory.