Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Need recommendation for Verizon network 4G LTE / VoLTE phone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    0

    Need recommendation for Verizon network 4G LTE / VoLTE phone

    With Verizon's change to 4G LTE VoLTE phones by the end of 2019 I'm needing a new phone. I currently have a Moto G first generation (3G). Really all I needed since I really don't use data and when I do it's on WiFi occasionally. Anyway, I really like the phone especially since it has a 4.5" screen. Not really wanting to get a bigger screen most of the newer models of any brand have. So any recommendation of a phone that will meet the new Verizon requirement and has a small foot print. Also at least OS 5.1 or better, and under $100. Also, I'm on PagePlus and would like to stay there since they have the best rates for minimal users like me.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,905
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Moto E5 (for Verizon) is currently on sale at Tracfone and Simple Mobile web sites for $49.99. If you use those companies that give cash back, TopCashBack is giving 42% back, and Ebates is giving "Up to 62% back" (kind of ambiguous) for purchases made at Tracfone and Simple Mobile web sites. Those phones can be re-branded by a rep to use with PagePlus.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks,
    What is meant by "rebranded by a rep" ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,905
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    What is meant by "rebranded by a rep" ?
    For example: asking a rep to activate a Tracfone on Page Plus as if it were originally marketed as a Page Plus phone. That will avoid some quirky things like you're experiencing with your Tracfone flip-phone that you activated on Page Plus.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    For example: asking a rep to activate a Tracfone on Page Plus as if it were originally marketed as a Page Plus phone. That will avoid some quirky things like you're experiencing with your Tracfone flip-phone that you activated on Page Plus.
    You mean when I activate it I tell the rep it's a Tracfone? Not just check if the meid is clear ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,905
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You mean when I activate it I tell the rep it's a Tracfone?
    Different subsidiaries (Tracfone, Net10, Page Plus, Simple Mobile, etc) of "Tracfone the Company" have different plans/billing methods, even though the phone hardware might be the same. If you want to use a Tracfone on Page Plus, you need to tell the rep, so they'll get the phone activated properly in their system.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Different subsidiaries (Tracfone, Net10, Page Plus, Simple Mobile, etc) of "Tracfone the Company" have different plans/billing methods, even though the phone hardware might be the same. If you want to use a Tracfone on Page Plus, you need to tell the rep, so they'll get the phone activated properly in their system.
    Thanks, I guess they must have it right. I chatted with them this morning concerning other issues. Had to give them my phone number etc. They fixed one issue so must have know it was a Tracfone or I'd think they would have said something else being screwy. I never mentioned Tracfone. Before I ever activated it the MEID checked ok and I recall another talk with them saying regardless of the phone brand including a Tracfone, if the MEID says ok it's good to go. Of course they also once said a pre-paid of another brand won't activate but then they said some will some won't so who knows. They also said a phone needs to be unlocked to activate with them. Maybe since Tracfone, PP, others, like you said are the same company they'll activate whether prepaid, unlocked or whatever ? But does that mean if I buy a phone that says Verizon locked it won't work even though it's the Verizon network? A little confusing for the average someone like myself not knowing all this cell stuff. I appreciate input and clarifications.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,905
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    But does that mean if I buy a phone that says Verizon locked it won't work even though it's the Verizon network?
    I'm not familiar with Page Plus service, so I can't say whether it will or won't. With Tracfone service, if a phone's IMEI/MEID passes the Compatibility Check, then it can be used as a BYOP on TF/Verizon. Although a phone might be from Verizon, it can still fail the Compatibility Check (we call it the "whitelist" check) if Verizon blacklisted it because it was stolen, or still on a postpaid contract, or didn't pay a "ransom" on a Verizon Prepaid phone, etc.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I'm not familiar with Page Plus service, so I can't say whether it will or won't. With Tracfone service, if a phone's IMEI/MEID passes the Compatibility Check, then it can be used as a BYOP on TF/Verizon. Although a phone might be from Verizon, it can still fail the Compatibility Check (we call it the "whitelist" check) if Verizon blacklisted it because it was stolen, or still on a postpaid contract, or didn't pay a "ransom" on a Verizon Prepaid phone, etc.
    Thanks for your replies here and my similar questions in other forums.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    570
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I'm not familiar with Page Plus service, so I can't say whether it will or won't. With Tracfone service, if a phone's IMEI/MEID passes the Compatibility Check, then it can be used as a BYOP on TF/Verizon. Although a phone might be from Verizon, it can still fail the Compatibility Check (we call it the "whitelist" check) if Verizon blacklisted it because it was stolen, or still on a postpaid contract, or didn't pay a "ransom" on a Verizon Prepaid phone, etc.
    Ok, still not totally clear on this. I wrote down the IMEI # of a Tracfone at BestBuy (not the Flip from before, another smartphone I'm looking at), and entered it in the activation check at Page Plus and it came back as ok to activate.
    I then asked Tracfone chat about rebranding and they said I can't activate a Tracfone on PagePLus or Net10 etc.
    Of course I already did with that MyFlip. Bottom line is it the Tracfone rep doesn't really know or wants to keep the business at Tracfone? If the IMEI# passes the PagePlus test that's all that matters? If rebranding comes into play, who does it, the source of the phone (ie Tracfone), or where you're activating it (Page Plus)?
    I don't want any surprises of my phone stop working even though it activates ok because there was none of this so called rebranding done. Or is so called rebranding just meaning activation?
    You can see my confusion.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale :: Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Unlimited Data Contract Ends July
    By scottiedgreat in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 04:02 AM
  2. Recommendations for good/cheap 4g Lte phone for Gophone
    By ohdes in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 06:01 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
  5. Australia Networks & Need Recommendation for Pre-Paid Wireless Provider
    By webpopstar in forum Regional Providers and Other Providers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 11:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks