Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sprint IPhone 8 Plus VOLTE active with iOS 12.1.1 beta 3

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone have VoLTE switch showing on an iPhone XS with Beta 3 (or later)?

I put my Sprint SIM from a 6S in my XS running Beta 3, and I don't see the VoLTE option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post

I put my Sprint SIM from a 6S in my XS running Beta 3, and I don't see the VoLTE option.
    The 6S SIM does not support Sprint’s implementation of VOLTE nor does it support the XS. You need a new SIM from Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Supposedly only the iPhone 8 and newer will support VoLTE. Leave it to Sprint to screw up VoLTE..

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post
    The 6S SIM does not support Sprint’s implementation of VOLTE nor does it support the XS. You need a new SIM from Sprint.
    Or from Apple - free at most Apple stores, $2.99 at any Sprint Corporate-owned (only) store.

The XR/XS need sims with part number ending in 416TQ or 516TQ (any sim ending in either of these is fine).

And just in case anyone does not know, you cannot ever simply move sims to move service on Sprint. You need to do a free online / assisted device swap on the account.
    Last edited by comintel; 12-01-2018 at 03:25 AM.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I knew I couldn't simply use the 6S SIM without swapping devices and but didn't realize that Sprint changed from the previous 416xx "universal SIM" to another iteration now the 416TQ. I know enough about iPhones and carrier profiles being loaded based on the first 8 digits of the SIM that I figured that inserting a Sprint SIM would load the profile and at least display the switch, even without doing a device swap.

What I didn't count on was that Sprint would change the 8th digit of the new SIMs -- they are 89011202 (instead of 89011201). So that is enough to trigger the profile to display (or not) the VoLTE option. After I put in an unactivated 416TQ SIM, the iPhone XS does have the VoLTE switch, but I didn't activate that device (yet) since I am still using it on my T-Mobile account (as I have a rebate pending and want to make sure it shows usage on the account at least until the rebate changes to approved status).

Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I upgraded to iOS 12.1.1 today. Not the beta - the actual update came out today. But, I don't have the option to enable VoLTE. Did this get dropped when they moved out this release out of beta?

Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just Sprint? iPhone SE is VoLTE capable according to Apple.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Only iPhone 8 and newer for now, even with the iOS software updates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Supposedly only the iPhone 8 and newer will support VoLTE. Leave it to Sprint to screw up VoLTE..

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    It's for now. There not screw it up. This is a early launch they werent planning on it for every device until next year. Right now it's only devices that the majority of there customers use. iPhone 8 and newer and Samsung S8. All devices will get it next year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    T-Mobile launched LTE in March 2013.

https://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-l...g-lte-network/

Sent from my iPhone Xs using HoFo
    Yeah i remember being able to use VoLTE on my T-Mobile line long before Verizon and AT&T in Phoenix when i lived there. T-Mobile also had a MUCH more reliable voice network than Verizon and AT&T in Phoenix at the time. Verizon's CDMA was so over crowded it would drop calls and not ring at times after the Alltel merger and AT&T was all PCS, so well yeah...
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: Spectrum "Ultra"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seddy View Post
    Just Sprint? iPhone SE is VoLTE capable according to Apple.
    That VoLTE capability does not exist in the abstract. It is mostly software. Apple has to write that code to interface to a given carrier's variations in VoLTE network protocol. Sprint does not write it. You do not design the network to interface to the phone. It is the other way around. A lot of that code is tied to particular iPhone models. You have timing dependencies and dependencies on particular chips etc. that is frozen now by Apple for older chips and models. Plus an enormous amount of testing that has to be done for any change.

I doubt Apple is going to reopen the code supporting those older models now.

When the other carriers introduced their VoLTE, Apple did not go back and adapt much older models of iPhone to support it either.
    Basically, only new and very recent models, as of that point in time, are ever going to support major network enhancements of any carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    That VoLTE capability does not exist in the abstract. It is mostly software. Apple has to write that code to interface to a given carrier's variations in VoLTE network protocol. Sprint does not write it. You do not design the network to interface to the phone. It is the other way around. A lot of that code is tied to particular iPhone models. You have timing dependencies and dependencies on particular chips etc. that is frozen now by Apple for older chips and models. Plus an enormous amount of testing that has to be done for any change.

I doubt Apple is going to reopen the code supporting those older models now.

When the other carriers introduced their VoLTE, Apple did not go back and adapt much older models of iPhone to support it either.
    Basically, only new and very recent models, as of that point in time, are ever going to support major network enhancements of any carrier.
    VoLTE is a standard, not a "carrier specific feature". It's a setting in the carrier bundle, that sprint has chosen up until now to not enable (most likely because of not having proper cell spacing, and handoff issues between sites)

That's what "IMS" is lol, and it's why you can hand off from WiFi calling to LTE currently (even with VoLTE not showing in the menu)

VoLTE being in the menu just means they are finally setting proper QOS for IMS/VoLTE calls.

Sprint is now at a junction though, for future survival (even without T-Mobile) they have to go VoLTE, as once Verizon shuts off CDMA, their coverage will be swiss cheese overnight, and all that rural roaming fill in is *poof* gone!

Having VoLTE will also allow them to select different roaming partners for different areas, as with it being a standard, it will work across most if not all US networks for roaming as long as the IMS cores are properly tied in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    VoLTE is a standard, not a "carrier specific feature". It's a setting in the carrier bundle, that sprint has chosen up until now to not enable (most likely because of not having proper cell spacing, and handoff issues between sites)

That's what "IMS" is lol, and it's why you can hand off from WiFi calling to LTE currently (even with VoLTE not showing in the menu)

VoLTE being in the menu just means they are finally setting proper QOS for IMS/VoLTE calls.

Nicely put, but the real world is never that simple. At the very least you always have to tune and field test every model at enormous cost. There are always defects, fixes, bypasses, hangs, slowdowns etc. And Apple probably simply will not go through that for older models, at least not at reasonable cost to Sprint.

I think it is doubtful that older models will ever support VoLTE. That's the consensus if you read threads elsewhere. There is no real need for it anyway. Nobody goes around enhancing the operation of older models (Apple occasionally being an exception more than others)..
    Last edited by comintel; 12-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post

Sprint is now at a junction though, for future survival (even without T-Mobile) they have to go VoLTE, as once Verizon shuts off CDMA, their coverage will be swiss cheese overnight, and all that rural roaming fill in is *poof* gone!
    By that time TMobile roaming will be more widespread and they counts as on Network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    By that time TMobile roaming will be more widespread and they counts as on Network.

Maybe, depends on the market, but that's the beauty of a standard, they can pick the best coverage/cost balance for each roaming market.

Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Nicely put but the real world is never that simple. At the very least you always have to tune and field test at enormous cost.
    Which is why it's not been enabled until now, B41 is spotty at best for cell handoff, and at Sprint's current spacing in some markets AND past, i do not blame them for taking so long.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast