Thread: Obitalk 202 interference/buzzing/noise...

Feedback Score

Obitalk 202 interference/buzzing/noise...

Wondering whether anyone has any suggestions on this. I got an Obitalk 202 over a year ago, for a Google Voice account set up even before that. GV works fine over computer. The Obitalk worked fine physically at first, but more recently has a loud enough buzzing on the line that it's almost unusable. Again there was NOTHING wrong for months at first, so it's not some wierd phone incompatibility issue or it should have shown up originally. https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Tro...-buzzing-sound Obi's only response seems somewhat useless and nonsensical, two different phones exhibit the same, I could understand cordLESS phones having interference like with each other, not cordED but if this is somehow an issue if someone wants to recommend a cheap physical phone that definately works without problem they can tell me too. Other than the phone I had WORKED FINE for six months plus anyways.

More recently (two months maybe) the buzzing showed up, and I figured my physical phone was just bad so I was waiting to replace it. I finally did and the buzzing is still present just slightly quieter than before, so now i'm wondering whether it's in the Obi itself.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of grounding issue but even if it was wouldn't know what to do to test or check it. A few times when this first happened the phone alternated between no noise and noise as I was using it, making me think that something had changed but I can't figure out what. I tried jiggling cable at that time but it didn't fix it and swapping to a different cable and the noise was still there. I guess i'm wondering if the Obi boxes are just poorly made, or if I need a replacement or if this is uncommon or what.

PS: to be clear this is definately not digital noise, ie dropped packets, ADC distortions, etc. It's analog buzzing somewhere between my voice and the converters both ways, other people hear it and so do I, and there's absolutely no other phones on the line, no caller ID or anything. Just one phone on a short line right to the box. I've tried it on both Line1 and Line2 and it's the same noise with either phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    LED light bulbs ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    LED light bulbs ?
    Hmm! I never thought of that. But it doesn't seem to be, I turned off the only bulbs in the house and the interference is still there. It just makes me wonder whether there might be some other localized external source and not be the obitalk itself. I can't conveniently move it (dont have another setup location) but i'll have to try that later, a different setup location (or even at another persons house) to try and rule out whether it's the obitalk or an external origin.

Feedback Score
    Well... interesting followup.

I dragged the Obitalk to a friends house, and hooked it up to his internet, and his phone. NO NOISE.

Took it back home, plugged it into my internet and original phone. Noise is back. Plugged in my second preferred good quality office phone. Noise is STILL there just a little quieter.

Then I borrowed his corded phone and plugged it in here at home. NO NOISE. I try his other borrowed cordless. NO NOISE.

So for some reason the original phone here didn't seem to have a noise here... but now does the last two months, so does my replacement office phone which I didn't try originally but now also gives a noise. Yet it doesn't SEEM to be in the obitalk because otherwise my friends phone wouldn't be quiet. (every test here has used the same cable, and I originally tried different cables to verify it wasn't that and it wasn't with my original phones) Yet it's a bit of an annoyance because I still wanted to use my QUALITY office phone and I cant randomly order stuff without testing it it seems since I dont know if the noise will be there or not.

So now i'm mildly stumped. I'd like to use the Obitalk with whatever darn phone I choose and like to know why some are noisy on ehre and others are not. (when these phones seem to be quiet on normal lines afterall) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track down whatever might be causing this anomaly/is this an Obitalk known thing here?

Feedback Score
    Power spikes in your home.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had a older 2.4 ghz cordless phone that didn't play well with my 2.4 ghz router, I would get buzzing and popping noises I switched to a 5.8 ghz cordless phone and the noise was gone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Power spikes in your home.
    What kind of filters or other things would I need to stop this or is that not even that possible? Like do I just put a filter on one plugin or is this something radiated from the wires of the house in general? What are the normal followup options others pursue if this happens? Trying to avoid a wild goosechase not sure if i'm looking for phone filters or AC line filters for one plugin, or what might help me track down the SOURCE somehow if that's even doable.

I still find it so strange that when I first used my original phone there wasn't a trace of noise, and I don't remember changing anything in the house that would explain why I have noise now... it just kinda changed one day. And was further confused by seeming to wiggle the RJ jack in the phone base making the noise going on and off wondering if it was somehow picking something up.

It's still strange to me that the use of this borrowed piece of crap beater phone is totally noisefree but my $150 office phone is unusuable as it's vulnerable to the noise. :-P That has to suggest... something... I just dont know what.

I know it's not wifi contention because both wired phones had the noise.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    What can you tell us about this $150 phone as far as features and connector configurations? Is it meant to use an RJ11 cable or perhaps something larger and a common RJ11 seems to work but is loose in the jack on the phone; that sort of thing.

Is the phone, when connected, near another appliance, even a desktop PC or a laptop's power adapter? Could be the phone just isn't shielded well, or there's a sloppy internal connection making it susceptible to noise.

Is there more than one jack for connecting the line cord and/or the handset cord?

Feedback Score
    Only that I don't know of anything uniquely identifyable. I have the 'good officephone' I wanted to use (which was originally a nice high end whatever with two lines) which shows noise on the obitalk, a cheap white wallphone which shows noise on the obitalk (but originally did NOT as thats what I first used for a good 8+ months noisefree, until one day it changed), and now a temporarily borrowed total beater phone which I think was literally used as a football at one point in the backyard - yet which is noise free.

Everything is standard RJ11 jacks.

Both cheaper phones are one jack only and no extra features, no power adapter/phone line powered, no caller ID, nothing. One has noise, one doesn't.

The quality office phone is a two line, power adapter optional for the extra features but the base phone part works without the adapter so ONLY the phone line is connected with provided phone line power (apparently from the obitalk) via a 3 foot cord - it's all on the desk together, not driving the house wiring or anything wierd like that.

There's two other desktop computers nearby - one usually on, the other usually off. With both completely off and unplugged noise is unchanged. Just like it is with both or either one on.

I've turned every CFL and LED light in the house off as well (there arent that many, only one is always on day or night in the kitchen) which makes no difference.

With everything off except an obitalk, the LAN hubs it's connected to, and the internet modem - the noise is always there on cheap white phone and expensive office phone. And never there on cheap borrowed yellow phone. I'm confused about what variable to start playing with to try make the office phone work.