Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: DISTURBING NEWS about new FreedomPop Taxes & Surcharges

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Free lte plans. However I do have $3.99 rollover on each sim.

Nothing on the sprint plan.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks, as best I can recall, these new charges have only been on account where FP is being paid for something (so far).

They were quoted a while ago saying that they needed to reduce the number of "freeloaders". Charging fees on free plans would accomplish that. And their name would be dirt.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Lol! That's what I get for trying to float them so money....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks, as best I can recall, these new charges have only been on account where FP is being paid for something (so far).

They were quoted a while ago saying that they needed to reduce the number of "freeloaders". Charging fees on free plans would accomplish that. And their name would be dirt.
    A better name: "Charge_them_for_FREE_dumbPop"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's why RingPlus was "supposed" to be R+, so as not to be confused with Red Pocket.
    Exactly.
    RP = Red Pocket
    R+ = Ring Plus [die, die, die MoFos less than than 2 days to port *holes]

Just like P+ = Page Plus [Slime's pissed on dead plant]
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    ....actually, the 12-month prepaid LTE SIM is ridiculously cheap at only $44.99 or $3.75 per month:
    https://www.amazon.com/FreedomPop-Le.../dp/B0792D3LLZ
    Doesn't the UTnT depend on wifi? Or unused data allotment from the 1GB per month?

So that it is true if one has run out of data & has no wifi. Then no calls or texts can be made & received.

Feedback Score
    So that it is true if one has run out of data & has no wifi, then no calls or texts can be made & received.
    I think this is correct, but it may not apply to all plans. Aren't some of FP's plans actual cellular service rather than VOIP? If so, you should still have T&T on these plans after you run out of data.

Having said this:

FP told me a while ago that the availability of T&T (on my free accounts) depends upon my not running completely out of data. One way to avoid running completely out of data is to maintain an *active* (vs. expired) top-up balance. As long as my top-up balance is active my data overage should be charged to that top-up balance, and I should still have T&T without disruption -- because I have not run out of data.

But I never had a chance to test this because for most of the time I've been with FP my top-up balances have been "expired". In my early FP days I did not realize that they expire, nor did I realize that I would have to reactivate them manually every month in order to make them available to my accounts. And now I never use anywhere near my monthly free data allotment so I still haven't tested this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    less than than 2 days to port *holes
    This is why I ported my main number to GV before starting with MVNO's. Never have to deal with porting.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Please don't take umbrage until they actually charge you.

I have highlighted the disturbing part in red........... and the way I interpret it, this seems to give FP the right to charge all accounts not only the mandated governmental fees, but also some new "Administrative Charges"
    The bottom line here is that there is no "free" service at FreedomPop any more!
    Not only will they charge supposedly mandated governmental fees, but they will also tack on this new "Administrative Charge" which could be for any amount ... and change every month without notice or customer approval.
    Until you are actually charged it would not seem to be much of an issue. I think a lot of the government charges vary by where they think you live-----the area code.
    And if the service cost is zero it does not multiply very well. 10%x0=0
    Everyone's experience will be different. Those who live in San Francisco are already getting hit big time.
    Since the text and talk are data based and data tends not to be taxed it will be interesting how that is applied.
    Perhaps many of us with the free AT&T have not been charged [yet?].
    When you get charged, then decide what to do.

When my annual plan renews there is already showing:
    Next Payment Amount US$51.34
    Next Payment Due Date 8/21/19
    Recurring Bill Amount US$51.34
    I think I will survive.

I wonder how many people who have been keeping multiple SIMs active on "free" plans will cancel those accounts when they start getting charged for these new "Taxes & Surcharges" on each and every active SIM? Getting hit with an extra $2 or $3 per month is not that big a deal with only one SIM, but for folks who have ten of them, that's an extra $20 or $30 per month (and possibly a lot more!) which could easily be put to better use at a MVNO that offers real cellular service -- without all the games.
    Well, let us see.
    I have seven FP SIMs. One on the above mentioned annual plan.
    One data only SIM in a hotspot. Less than a dollar? I will keep.
    I have 4 SIMs in dual-SIM phones. May be get rid of one in each phone?
    The other two phones If the charge is less than two dollars I would probably keep.

Is there another option to keep a phone number and data in excess cell phones?
    I actually have some Truphone SIM that might be useful for my kind of usage in these phones.
    BUT "FREE" data is nice.

Thank you but I am also sorry you spent so much energy and psychic trauma in starting this thread.
    A lot of exegesis and tea leave reading. Hopefully not too much eisegesis.

Feedback Score
    Until you are actually charged it would not seem to be much of an issue.
    Correct, and I have not yet been charged.

I think a lot of the government charges vary by where they think you live-----the area code.
    Or the billing address zip code.

Everyone's experience will be different. Those who live in San Francisco are already getting hit big time.
    Yes, someone posted that his fee was more than $9.00 and he was somewhere in California ... maybe San Francisco.

Since the text and talk are data based and data tends not to be taxed it will be interesting how that is applied.
    Good point. Maybe this is why some of us have yet to be charged. It might be that this is why some of us may never be charged.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Well, they've hit a new low -- definitely in the CASH GRAB club like RingPlus was near the end of their life:

I paid an admin fee of $0.97 last month, and didn't complain. Now it's up to $2.99 on this same line, clearly for their own admin expenses as shown below. I'm done with this line -- not worth $2.99/month so going to charge back that one to them if they won't take it off.

I signed up for a $1.99 plan, not a $4.98 plan with their admin BS -- it's not a tax, and as required by law, they are clearly stating it is to help them defray their own costs/add to their profits.

Name:  2018-11-13 (2).jpg
Views: 360
Size:  38.1 KB

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Oh, boy! Not good!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Or the billing address zip code.
    Good point, [I just checked my ] annual plan and it has not address data.

Also, have not seen this before:

Add your Billing information now to get 500 MB FREE data ($10 value) and ensured uninterrupted service!
    and
    Get 500MB of FREE bonus data ($10 value) when you update your billing information today!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    .............., they are clearly stating it is to help them defray their own costs/add to their profits.
    I am pretty sure that the free plans are not "adding to their profits".

Perhaps they are really, really trying to discourage 'free' plans.

Why do you have the data rollover?

Feedback Score
    The free plans where always meant as a promotion tool, to attract clients into their paying plans.
    Now, when it became their main customer base, of course it cannot be sustained.

Like McDonalds offering a free coffee . If everyone just drinks the coffee and runs, there are no money left to pay for the building lease, salaries, electricity, water, and... for the coffee itself.

Now replace "coffee" with data service from AT&T. And stop complaining that the "free stuff" doesn't "work" anymore!

Feedback Score
    I think the point to recognize here is that FP is now charging free accounts for their operating expenses. In my opinion this makes these accounts anything but free.

It is one thing to require a top-up balance to cover data overages on free accoounts, especially when top-up balances are refundable when you close the account. But to add an "Administrative Charge" to the free plans simply as a way to get paid for those plans is what I would refer to as dishonest / unethical / etc.

The worst thing about these "Administrative Charges" is that they can be increased at any time, for whatever reason FP decides, and we have no idea if or when these increases will occur. So there's no way we can control our monthly costs, or even predict what our monthly costs may be.

It's not like we are getting a bill each month which is based on our actual usage. In this situation FreedomPop is simply charging us separately for some of their operating expenses, and these expenses are clearly NOT directly related to our usage. Does this seem fair to anyone???

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast