Thread: Theoretical Max of Each Network in Canada right now

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Theoretical Max of Each Network in Canada right now

Like the title states what is the theoretical max for each carrier in Canada right now? I notice on Bell’s website it says 890 Mbps and Telus says 900 Mbps. Can’t seem to find anything on Rogers’ site. Anyone have a breakdown on LTE advanced max speeds per carrier and what bands and their width’s they’re aggregating to achieve it? Might be a bit of a broad question because I know it varies by area but I’d like to see how much of a difference there is between carriers!

Seems like Bell and Telus are miles ahead of everyone else in this respect from what I read online.

Feedback Score
    It really depends on the market. Bell in Kingston is above 1 Gbps.

Rogers just doesn't have the same spectrum and CA combo availability as Bell / Telus to compete, so they don't bother listing their speeds.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Yeah, I was about to say Bell and Telus pool their spectrum, so they have 5MHz more of B2 than Rogers, a whopping 20MHz more of B7 (B7 from Bell + B7 from Telus...Rogers just has a single B7 carrier), plus B29 (although Rogers does have contiguous 10MHz of B12). After all is said and done, Bellus will still have more due to their RAN sharing and spectrum pooling.

I believe Rogers is now focusing on refarming their HSPA spectrum for LTE plus possibly implementing LAA LTE in order to be able to offer gigabit LTE. But then again, Bellus will also do the same, so once again, they’re always going to have the advantage over Rogers in terms of speed and capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Makes sense!

So I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and try to do the math on the theoretical maxes here in St. John's for the 3 networks offered currently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning about this stuff.

Rogers network in St. John's

Band 12 = 10 MHz
    Band 5 = 5 MHz
    Band 2 = 15 MHz
    Band 4 = 10 MHz
    Band 7 = 20 MHz
    ---------------------
    60 MHz total bandwidth

450 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 64 QAM & 2x2 MIMO setup
    588 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 256 QAM & 2x2 MIMO setup
    1.176 Gbps theoretical max download w/ 256 QAM & 4x4 MIMO setup

Bell/Telus network in St. John's

Band 17 = 5 MHz
    Band 29 = 10 MHz
    Band 5 = 5 MHz
    Band 2 = 20 MHz
    Band 4 = 20 MHz
    Band 7 = 20 MHz
    Band 7 = 20 MHz
    ---------------------
    100 MHz total bandwidth

750 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 64 QAM & 2x2 MIMO
    980 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 256 QAM & 2x2 MIMO
    1.960 Gbps theoretical max download w/ 256 QAM & 4x4 MIMO

Eastlink network in St. John's

Band 13 = 5 MHz
    Band 4 = 15 MHz
    --------------------
    20 MHz total bandwidth

150 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 64 QAM & 2x2 MIMO
    196 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 256 QAM & 2x2 MIMO
    392 Mbps theoretical max download w/ 256 QAM & 4x4 MIMO

Does this sound right? Cause if so - WOW! Haha

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    It really depends on the market. Bell in Kingston is above 1 Gbps.

Rogers just doesn't have the same spectrum and CA combo availability as Bell / Telus to compete, so they don't bother listing their speeds.
    What's so special there? LAA?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Your numbers are close. For exact values, you can refer to 3GPP TS 36.213:
    https://portal.3gpp.org/desktopmodul...icationId=2427

Click on Versions, then click the latest version and it will download the spec. Refer to Table 7.1.7.2.1-1 for Transport Block Size (TBS).

ITBS 26 refers to best case 64QAM data volume for 1 MIMO layer transferred per millisecond.

ITBS 33 would be for 256QAM.

For the resource blocks (NPRB) value, it depends on cell bandwidth.

5 MHz = 25
    10 MHz = 50
    15 MHz = 75
    20 MHz = 100

For example, 20 MHz channel (100 PRB) with 256QAM means you look at column 100 with row 33. The value is 97896 bits per ms. Another way of saying that is 97.896 Mbps. This is for 1 MIMO layer. If phone and network support 4x4 MIMO, then you can essentially multiply by 4. So you would have 391 Mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    What's so special there? LAA?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    Kingston can deploy 7C (40 MHz of contiguous B7) due to spectrum holdings.

The phone treats 7C (40 MHz contiguous) differently than 7A-7A (40 MHz non-contiguous). So you can effectively use more spectrum at 4x4 MIMO.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Your numbers are close. For exact values, you can refer to 3GPP TS 36.213:
    https://portal.3gpp.org/desktopmodul...icationId=2427

Click on Versions, then click the latest version and it will download the spec. Refer to Table 7.1.7.2.1-1 for Transport Block Size (TBS).

ITBS 26 refers to best case 64QAM data volume for 1 MIMO layer transferred per millisecond.

ITBS 33 would be for 256QAM.

For the resource blocks (NPRB) value, it depends on cell bandwidth.

5 MHz = 25
    10 MHz = 50
    15 MHz = 75
    20 MHz = 100

For example, 20 MHz channel (100 PRB) with 256QAM means you look at column 100 with row 33. The value is 97896 bits per ms. Another way of saying that is 97.896 Mbps. This is for 1 MIMO layer. If phone and network support 4x4 MIMO, then you can essentially multiply by 4. So you would have 391 Mbps.
    Awesome, thanks Sheytoon!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What I found interesting in Northern Ontario... even though Bell / Telus share the same network, throughput it MUCH different.
    From 1 physical location, I ran speed test (same endpoint) against all 3 networks.
    Rogers -> 90 Mbps
    Bell -> 38 Mbps
    Telus -> 1Mbps
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    What I found interesting in Northern Ontario... even though Bell / Telus share the same network, throughput it MUCH different.
    From 1 physical location, I ran speed test (same endpoint) against all 3 networks.
    Rogers -> 90 Mbps
    Bell -> 38 Mbps
    Telus -> 1Mbps
    That is weird...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Note. All 3 carriers are colocated on the one and only cell tower in this town.Name:  1560176357091.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  22.7 KBName:  1560176342886.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  15.9 KBName:  1560176325099.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  16.3 KB

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    From what I could tell.. Telus is overloaded on its backhaul capacity. Upload appears fine... download sucked.
    I also suspect that few use Rogers in Northern Ontario, as Rogers coverage is relatively poor compared to Bellus.
    Eg. Places on Highway 17. Bellus has a site 'in' Blind River', and also colocated site west of the town. Rogers only has a site colocated west of the town. Bellus also has a site east of the town, while Rogers ends up with a 10km gap of 3G + 'No Service' until highway 108.

Similar coverage woes around Echo Bay / Bruce Mines area and St. Joseph's Island where Bellus has built out a handful of sites, and Rogers goes down to gaps of 3G/No Service.
    I do suspect that Bell is attempting to use its service to replace old POTS, Internet and TV service with a wireless service. Rogers 'should' take note, but I suspect that they're sitting on their hands.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

A few things:

1. Throughout on both Bell and Telus should be very similar. As you said, it’s possible that Telus was having backhaul capacity issues but since Bell/Telus share a big chunk of backhaul (i.e. they don’t each have their own links right to each tower...their backhaul branches off / separates much much farther back in the network), I don’t think that was the issue. Are you sure it doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that you were roaming? Or were you using a physical Telus sim in your device when you tested?

2. I don’t expect Rogers to add too many more sites up there, if any at all. Especially now that they bought the majority of 600MHz spectrum, they’ll likely blast that as far as they can to improve coverage where they lack sites.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    A few things:

1. Throughout on both Bell and Telus should be very similar. As you said, it’s possible that Telus was having backhaul capacity issues but since Bell/Telus share a big chunk of backhaul (i.e. they don’t each have their own links right to each tower...their backhaul branches off / separates much much farther back in the network), I don’t think that was the issue. Are you sure it doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that you were roaming? Or were you using a physical Telus sim in your device when you tested?

2. I don’t expect Rogers to add too many more sites up there, if any at all. Especially now that they bought the majority of 600MHz spectrum, they’ll likely blast that as far as they can to improve coverage where they lack sites.

Technically... I roam on just about any carrier in Canada with my T-Mobile service.
    By default it picks Bell or Telus, and is typically pretty hard to force it onto Rogers.
    I did retry this test more than once in the north to validate. Spectrum up there is a bit limited on Bell/Telus as well as Rogers for what is deployed. 10MHz of band 2 with 5MHz of band 12 on Bell/Telus and 10MHz of band 4 with 5MHz of band 12 on Rogers. I did hit +200Mbps on Bell in other places along highway 17 where more spectrum was deployed.