Thread: The Future Of Fi?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

The Future Of Fi?

Hello - popped in here to see what the thoughts on the future of Fi would be with the T-Mo/Sprint merger?

Surprisingly didn’t see any threads on the front page.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Nothing much should change. The coverage footprint should be about the same and you’ll switch between two carriers rather than three.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW one way or another.
    Feedback Score
    Google Fi should be just roaming among more carriers. TMO users already roam on USC. Switching between carriers takes time and complicates use. There are places where inside buildings (restaurant, hospital) TMO was kind of missing or something and my phone just was not working regardless of full bars. So other than the high $20 minimum cost, the hesitation choosing between carriers made me to cancel service. Since no lock to a carrier and roaming wherever and whenever would also allow more liberal use of other than Google phones it most likely will not happen.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

The Future Of Fi?

This is a timely question since
    * T-mobile supports USCC roaming
    * T-mobile is likely merging with Sprint. Even if not, Sprint native coverage isn't exactly growing, while T-mobile is expanding aggressively.
    * Average data usage in the U.S. is increasing annually, so Fi pricing becomes appealing to less of the population as time goes on.
    * T-mobile just launched their Global Plus add-on that includes _voice_ and high speed data roaming internationally.

So what are the advantages of Fi
    * International roaming at a reasonable price without a credit check
    * Hangouts integration with a phone number that is a real mobile number.
    * Good pricing for folks tho don't use much cellular data (but comparing with Cricket/AT&T plans, they are almost always better at various data usage points)
    * As far as I have seen, there is no enforcement of majority of usage in the U.S.
    * The USCC side of the SIM allows (3G) roaming on Verizon. That disappears at the end of 2019.
    * For now, Sprint does fill in some T-mobile coverage holes.
    Last edited by mch; 11-11-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    This is a timely question since
    * T-mobile supports USCC roaming
    * T-mobile is likely merging with Sprint. Even if not, Sprint native coverage isn't exactly growing, while T-mobile is expanding aggressively.
    * Average data usage in the U.S. is increasing annually, so Fi pricing becomes appealing to less of the population as time goes on.
    * T-mobile just launched their Global Plus add-on that includes _voice_ and high speed data roaming internationally.

So what are the advantages of Fi
    * International roaming at a reasonable price without a credit check
    * Hangouts integration with a phone number that is a real mobile number.
    * Good pricing for folks tho don't use much cellular data (but comparing with Cricket/AT&T plans, they are almost always better at various data usage points)
    * As far as I have seen, there is no enforcement of majority of usage in the U.S.
    * The USCC side of the SIM allows (3G) roaming on Verizon. That disappears at the end of 2019.
    * For now, Sprint does fill in some T-mobile coverage holes.
    Cricket works better..and now that they have an unlimited data plan without a speed cap...it makes me want to go to them and Verizon's new 70 dollar plan has unlimited hotspot..so a few good choices

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    Hello - popped in here to see what the thoughts on the future of Fi would be with the T-Mo/Sprint merger?

Surprisingly didn’t see any threads on the front page.
    I had a thread about this a while ago and refreshed it last night. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-s-Next-For-Us

I think the question becomes what it the appeal of Fi after the merger? The new T-Mobile will have the same coverage, will openly allow the use of unlocked phones with similar specs but a cheaper price to what Fi offers and have nearly a similar international footprint. With the new company also having better rates on data and family plans, it won't make sense for many to stay with Fi after that point. Since this was a Google venture and a way to help them end the Nexus project to move towards the Pixel phase of what they want to offer, another question would be how much longer Google wants to be the the MVNO business. They could try to partner with Dish to make a 4th provider, but no one knows for sure at this point.