Thread: Will Boost instore purchase charge me an activation fee? is it $25? LG Stylo 4 deal

Feedback Score

Will Boost instore purchase charge me an activation fee? is it $25? LG Stylo 4 deal

Thinking about trying Boost. with looking at a deal of free LG Stylo 4 with port and unlimited plan activation. Should I expect the store to charge me an activation fee? Would the fee be $25? Any other fees or taxes?

I once had a bad experience with a Boost store, so I'm a little skittish about signing up and would like to know ahead of time. The web site didn't seem to cover this.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    If you live in an area like mine, where almost every store is owned by the same company, you'll pay an activation fee and may be told that you have to buy a case in order to get your phone. Your best bet would be to search for stores at Boost's website and look for ones that appear to have different owners, such as ones that don't have the same hours as everyone else. If you can find stores with different owners, you may find one that won't charge an activation fee, or won't charge as much of a fee, and/or may not require you to buy a protection bundle in order to get your "free phone". You can also see if there will be a sale on Black Friday since that may save you money out the door compared to going through a store to get service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora415 View Post
    Thinking about trying Boost. with looking at a deal of free LG Stylo 4 with port and unlimited plan activation. Should I expect the store to charge me an activation fee? Would the fee be $25? Any other fees or taxes?

I once had a bad experience with a Boost store, so I'm a little skittish about signing up and would like to know ahead of time. The web site didn't seem to cover this.
    How much did you eventually pay for the phone ?

I am considering to switch to Boost but the reviews of boost stores around me are horrible

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boost has the worst dealers. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that Boost offers it's best deals thru independent dealers. Further compounding the problem is the national retailers like Best Buy and Target have dropped Boost ahead of the expected merger.

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine is a Boost dealer at his small electronics store. I'm not defending him, per se, but you'd see why they charge these fees if you knew what prepaid companies pay per activation. If he exclusively sold Boost for a living, he wouldn't be able to even pay rent on the store, let alone pay employees. He sells electronics as well as Page Plus and H2O wireless. Out of the three he sells, H2O pays the best. Boost paid their dealers better commission years ago, but they're cutting everything down to the point where it's almost like they're passive-aggressively telling dealers to throw in the towel and just let customers buy everything online these days.

That being said, as a customer, I always despise BS fees when I shop at places.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I was a dealer years ago. When I first started, Boost paid the best commissions by far. But that was also a time when they allowed more dealers to sell multiple brands as well. I got out because, in my opinion, Boost stop caring about customer service and was more concerned about having major dealers and multiple stores. As that happened, they allowed bigger stores to buy out their competition so it looked like a major company was running everything in the area.

Prepaid went from you making a profit on every sale to more of a postpaid structure that would sometimes give out more commissions based on the number of locations you had and you getting paid on the back end. I remember one time they showed us a "best practice" video where a store would not sell a phone to a customer unless they bought the insurance on it. After that, it was assumed that you charged everyone fees and this was to be part of your profit strategy. They even told dealers around this time they couldn't believe that they would offer to pay employees an hourly wage. smh.

I'm torn because prepaid stores were small businesses that helped to make up the backbone of the community. There were times where I would meet women who were escaping abusive relationships, people getting off of drugs or others who just needed a chance and a phone to get reestablished and was happy to help them out. But with the way things are now, I can't honestly recommend to anyone that they go to a prepaid store for anything. At some point, it will be better and more profitable for companies to just do things online or out of Walmart and Best Buy. It's sad to see where prepaid was and to know how many were able to have a successful business because of it and to see what is currently is now.