Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 298

Thread: Verizon Unlimited Jetpack plan $65 no contract

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    108
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Can you use an existing jetpack that is on a postpaid plan to activate / try the unlimited prepaid plan by putting the prepaid SIM in? Or would this screw things up for either the post paid plan or the prepaid plan?
    You can use a jet pack that was on a postpaid line but they will not let you have a jet pack active on two lines at once, so if you want to open the prepaid account using your jet pack's imei it will have to be removed from the post paid account first.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,415
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry if this has been answered before. Can you use this plan sim in iPhone and use iPhone’s hotspot feature?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in the Boondocks
    Posts
    21
    Device(s)
    3 Motorola Hints
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel held hostage
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered before. Can you use this plan sim in iPhone and use iPhone’s hotspot feature?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No only jetpacks qualify, this is data only.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using HoFo mobile app

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Jetpack 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I got a new Jetpack 7730L the other day. Today arrived my SIM card for the $70 plan.

    The speed totally sucks: between 0 and 2 Mbps down and between 0 and 10 Mbps up. In Sedona which is one of Arizona's main tourist attractions with usually very good connection (I get i. e. between 15 and 45 Mbps down on my iPhone which is on Mint Mobile, and I got around 10 Mbps down on my iPhone when I still was a Boom customer on the Verizon network).

    I just spent 94 frustrating minutes on the phone with a Verizon technical support representative. The woman guided me through everything imaginable (turn off, turn on; reset; turn off, take SIM card out, put in again, turn on; applying a new phone number to the device; and more). Ultimately she could not help and suggested that I go to a Verizon corporate store and get a new SIM card. Such a trip would take me at least three hours. I would anyway say that it is a bad joke to think that a brand new SIM card is the culprit here. She also opened a ticket for Verizon's "engineers" and said they would call me within the next three business days.

    What I will try is to go to a Verizon franchise store here in town and see what they say or can do (probably not much).

    If someone here has any other ideas, please let me know.
    Last edited by resucami; 04-17-2019 at 08:06 PM.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    518
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by resucami View Post
    I got a new Jetpack 7730L the other day. Today arrived my SIM card for the $70 plan.

    The speed totally sucks: between 0 and 2 Mbps down and between 0 and 10 Mbps up. In Sedona which is one of Arizona's main tourist attractions with usually very good connection (I get i. e. between 15 and 45 Mbps down on my iPhone which is on Mint Mobile, and I got around 10 Mbps down on my iPhone when I still was a Boom customer on the Verizon network).

    I just spent 94 frustrating minutes on the phone with a Verizon technical support representative. The woman guided me through everything imaginable (turn off, turn on; reset; turn off, take SIM card out, put in again, turn on; applying a new phone number to the device; and more). Ultimately she could not help and suggested that I go to a Verizon corporate store and get a new SIM card. Such a trip would take me at least three hours. I would anyway say that it is a bad joke to think that a brand new SIM card is the culprit here. She also opened a ticket for Verizon's "engineers" and said they would call me within the next three business days.

    What I will try is to go to a Verizon franchise store here in town and see what they say or can do (probably not much).

    If someone here has any other ideas, please let me know.
    These lines are permanently deprioritized, which means they'll get served last in the queue for all traffic. More than likely, that's what you're experiencing, and no amount of tricks a verizon agent or engineer will be able to fix.
    Visible Early Access Code-90CC6

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Jetpack 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the info.

    This morning at 6 am I had around 30 Mbps download speed; now - at 8 am - it is only 2 Mbps. Fits the profile of being deprioritized.

    Since I am using the hotspot alone and do not need really high speeds I am wondering whether this plan is really worth the money, or whether I should try Visible. If Visible delivers for $40 (incl. taxes) most of the time 5 Mbps it is probably more valuable to me than this $65/$70 (plus taxes) plan with its extreme fluctuations. One important question would be, of course, whether I can use Visible with a hotspot.

    Would be great to hear some opinions about that.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    225
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by resucami View Post
    Thanks for the info.

    This morning at 6 am I had around 30 Mbps download speed; now - at 8 am - it is only 2 Mbps. Fits the profile of being deprioritized.

    Since I am using the hotspot alone and do not need really high speeds I am wondering whether this plan is really worth the money, or whether I should try Visible. If Visible delivers for $40 (incl. taxes) most of the time 5 Mbps it is probably more valuable to me than this $65/$70 (plus taxes) plan with its extreme fluctuations. One important question would be, of course, whether I can use Visible with a hotspot.

    Would be great to hear some opinions about that.
    Don't think so because Visible is phone service via an app.
    Also, can confirm the plan is permanently deprioritized.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,415
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does this plan not work in T1114? I am trying to use my 1 sim in it and it won’t show data as available. However I had it in there about 2-3 months ago and it was working.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by damesta View Post
    You can use a jet pack that was on a postpaid line but they will not let you have a jet pack active on two lines at once, so if you want to open the prepaid account using your jet pack's imei it will have to be removed from the post paid account first.
    Would this only be for the initial activation of the prepaid unlimited plan, or would it come into play for actual use? Want to make sure I don't mess anything up

    (I'd like to use the same device to give the prepaid hotspot plan a try, but if it's too slow, put my post paid plan SIM card in and be able to use my metered data at full speed. Unless that is a no-no.)

    I have an old 5510 that I could use to activate the prepaid plan if it's a one time IMEI check.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    Another question: does the deprioritized data create a longer ping time when the tower is loaded vs. a post paid plan?

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    I haven't read most of the previous pages because I really have no questions about the service. But I do have a bit of experience, which I decided to share for whatever it's worth.

    I've been using this service since late 2018, mainly as backup Internet, but also while traveling a few times. I'm using the now-discontinued MHS900L device because that's what they had when I enrolled, and because it works well enough for what I need. I could upgrade to a newer device, but I haven't because I doubt it would make any difference in my own user experience.

    In my office, I use the Jetpack as backup Internet. When the cable goes down, I turn off the cable router and backfeed the hotspot into my LAN using an old wireless router that I put in Client Mode. When traveling, I directly connect to it. I also turn off the cable router for a few days every month and run the office on the Jetpack just to make sure it's still working well (sort of like I test my backup generator every month).

    So far, it's worked great for me. Deprioritization has never been an issue, possibly because I'm in the boondocks where there's not much competition from other users. Speeds in the 20-30 Mbps down and 10-20 Mbps up neighborhood are typical with three bars on the Jetpack.



    I can bump it up a bit if I place the Jetpack on the window sill upstairs where the signal is better, but I usually don't bother.

    Subjectively, for my typical Internet usage, there's little noticeable difference when using the Jetpack versus my 100Mbps/10Mbps cable connection unless I have to download a huge file. That bogs things down a bit. Video streaming is also constrained to 1080p, but so is my television, so that's also a non-issue. I haven't had any buffering issues on Amazon prime via either the Roku or the Fire Tablet. Even the Magic Jack, which I use as my "official" home phone number so I don't have to give companies my cell number, works using the Jetpack.

    I should mention that I throttle the Roku to 4Mbps anyway using a managed switch because anything above that makes no difference on a 1080 screen and just wastes bandwidth. The point is that if I want to, I can stream video using the Jetpack with no noticeable difference than when using the cable connection.

    On the road, the Jetpack delivers throughput proportional to the signal strength. It may be a little higher or a little lower than what I get in the office, but it's never been so slow that I couldn't use it. I've never noticed any signs of deprioritization; but for the sake of context, I've never used it in any big cities where there was a lot of competition. In small and medium-sized cities, I've had no issues.

    On the road, I use the Jetpack to deliver Internet to my Fire HD10 tablet, which I use to access my servers if I have a reason to, to show clients stuff I need to show them, and for more ordinary activities like collecting mail and browsing the Web. I've had no problems using it for any protocol, including SSH, SCP, and so forth.

    I've had no problems related to billing or monthly renewal. I've never gotten an "out-of-data" error. I can't, however, view how much data I've used, I suppose because it's unlimited.

    Long story short, I'm happy with the service. Its most important use for me is backup Internet in case a storm takes down the cables, which happens up here from time to time. It also has worked well as mobile Internet. I have no complaints.

    The caveat would be that I have never used it in a dense urban area where deprioritization would be a factor; so the fact that I'm happy doesn't mean that you will necessarily be happy. For what I need and where I live and work, it's good enough that I regularly consider canceling or downgrading my expensive Cable Internet and using the Jetpack as my primary connection. For you, maybe not so much.

    Richard

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    225
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Another question: does the deprioritized data create a longer ping time when the tower is loaded vs. a post paid plan?
    Yep because you're being held at the back of the line. QoS.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Jetpack 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    After having done 100 speed tests over a period of 24 hours (see screen shot) I tend to believe that Verizon is not "de-prioritizing" my $65/$70 plan. I live in Sedona which is Arizona's second most visited tourist attraction (after the Grand Canyon) and we have a very busy high season right now. I think it is likely that there is data congestion happening at this time.

    I had yesterday up to 5 devices running on the hotspot. In general there was no problem; most of the time I had at least 3 Mbps, often more than 5, sometimes less than 1.

    Interesting is that even at the most busy times I had no problems to stream HBO and Netflix without stuttering in the usual good quality onto my 60" television set - and even at the least busy times streaming a live event through YouTube happened only in a rather ****** quality (this is a regular event that I watch several times a week and that has a very good quality when watched with my cable ISP). I guess that HBO and Netflix pay money to Verizon to prioritize their stuff. I did not try Amazon Prime Video; will do that at a later time.

    I am a little disappointed because I had hoped for at least 5 Mbps at any time. However, I have to repeat that there was "in general" no problem for the whole day. I guess I will have to experiment a little longer, also with external antennas (I ordered already one), to come to a more solid judgement about this plan.

    Cheers!

    Name:  TestMyNet April 18-19.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  25.8 KB


    PS #1: A larger version of the screen shot can be downloaded here:
    https://send.firefox.com/download/2a...S7763qI9bfWuKQ

    PS #2: How pathetic that even a harmless and truthful word like sh*tty gets automatically obscured here. Big brother is watching me. And you!

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetz View Post
    Yep because you're being held at the back of the line. QoS.
    Thanks. How many ms of latency do you think get added when it's deprioritized?

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Jetpack 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just went with my hotspot and my iPhone as close as possible to the cell phone towers in my part of Sedona where I was surrounded by hundreds of tourists - and had speeds of up to 72 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up. It kind of strengthened my impression that de-prioritization is not very likely.

    I also got the external Netgear MiMo 6000450 antenna for the hotspot. Without the antenna I had usually 3 bars on the hotspot, now I have almost all the time 4 bars (the tower is about 1.7 miles away from my house; I do not know whether there are any "repeaters" or so in-between). To what extent this cheap antenna will make a lasting difference in the speeds I still have to find out.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Selling 2 Verizon Unlimited Data Plan Lines (No Contract)
    By dpeaz in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2016, 07:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 09:08 AM
  3. Selling Verizon grandfathered Unlimited data plan with no contract
    By quaffapint in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2016, 06:42 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:16 PM
  5. For sell: one unlimited data plan with no contract! $400
    By MateoEEUU in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 05:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks