Thread: GSM only G4 XT1625's on Ebay?

Device(s)
    Moto G4 XT1625, Moto G VT1028
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

GSM only G4 XT1625's on Ebay?

I keep seeing G4's listed on Ebay as being unlocked for GSM only. As I'm currently using an XT1625 on Tracfone/Verizon, and Motorola says the phone is unlocked/carrier friendly with quad radios, I'm confused. I'd like to replace some family Moto G's (1 st gen) before 3G goes away, but don't want to end up with a GSM phone, as service is non-existent here in the mountains.

Are the vendors mistaken? Selling XT1641 as XT1625's? Or have these phones possibly been locked on a CDMA carrier and can still be resold as "GSM only unlocked"? Can the phones (G4 or G4 plus) be restored to the factory carrier friendly unlocked status so I can use Tracfone?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How old is your 1st generation phone? 3G (CDMA/GSM) will be gone in just a few years from now in the US on all 4 major carriers in most markets nationwide. Eventually you will HAVE TO CHANGE to 4G (LTE/VOLTE).
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
    I keep seeing G4's listed on Ebay as being unlocked for GSM only. As I'm currently using an XT1625 on Tracfone/Verizon, and Motorola says the phone is unlocked/carrier friendly with quad radios, I'm confused. I'd like to replace some family Moto G's (1 st gen) before 3G goes away, but don't want to end up with a GSM phone, as service is non-existent here in the mountains. Are the vendors mistaken? Selling XT1641 as XT1625's? Or have these phones possibly been locked on a CDMA carrier and can still be resold as "GSM only unlocked"? Can the phones (G4 or G4 plus) be restored to the factory carrier friendly unlocked status so I can use Tracfone?
    are these verizon prepaid phones ?? if yes then those could be unlocked for GSM but were still locked for CDMA verizon i believe closed that loophole.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 XT1625, Moto G VT1028
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No one has stated that they were Verizon prepaids, which was where the 3 1st gen Moto G's came from. Quite a few of the obvious phone resellers state GSM only, so I'm hesitant to question the listing as GSM only.

It's frustrating as the G4 works well for me. Is there a way to get these phone "truly" unlocked again? It's a PITA to obtain and check the IMEA on every phone I want to purchase, and I really don't want to drop $190 on a new G6 and find it can be locked away from me by the carrier.