Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: iPhone T-Mobile Roaming?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    So today I was at a place of business where I had bars but no Data connection.
    Would there have been a way to convince the phone to use T-Mobile Data?

I did report the issue and the app said to call for a Magic Box. Does it always say that or only in eligible areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bars but no data means a defective cell site. Maybe a small cell. (Hopefully not intentional jamming by the business owner). The phone is fooled by the alluring fake signal and so does not know to go to a different tower or to roam. Well, some phones will eventually give up on the broken signal and look elsewhere. On some phones you can disable bands - not on iPhones. I guess you could try setting it to CDMA only if iPhones allow that.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-12-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Bars but no data means a defective cell site. Maybe a small cell. (Hopefully not intentional jamming by the business owner). The phone is fooled by the alluring fake signal and so does not know to go to a different tower or to roam. Well, some phones will eventually give up on the broken signal and look elsewhere. On some phones you can disable bands - not on iPhones. I guess you could try setting it to CDMA only if iPhones allow that.
    Or it could just simply be congestion? With Sprint, it's more likely congestion than some business owner engaging in illegal activity...

There are plenty of locations around here where I have 3-4 bars of Band 26 but data will not connect because there is so much congestion. Sometimes disabling LTE will solve the issue, but speeds are ridiculously slow on 3G.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Or it could just simply be congestion? With Sprint, it's more likely congestion than some business owner engaging in illegal activity...

There are plenty of locations around here where I have 3-4 bars of Band 26 but data will not connect because there is so much congestion. Sometimes disabling LTE will solve the issue, but speeds are ridiculously slow on 3G.
    It could be bad congestion, I agree. I do not see behavior like that around here but I have heard of it in some areas. I guess you are right that band 26 is one of the most likely to be overloaded and also has best building penetration so it might be the only option in a office building short of roaming. Hopefully the network will get better at redirecting traffic to TMobile roaming in such cases.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPhone T-Mobile Roaming?

Thanks for the replies. I will have to disable LTE next time I run into the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by techfranz; 07-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPhone T-Mobile Roaming?

Today I had no audio on an outbound call,but when I turned of Voice over LTE, the Audio returned. I had just left a WiFi calling location. Restarting the phone solved the issue.

The CDMA audio sounded really bad. I wonder if Sprint is compressing the Codec to make room for VoLTE?THe HD calling over CDMA used to be pretty good.

Update: My theory is I lost audio due to the call transferring from a poor WiFi signal to VoLTE.
    Last edited by techfranz; 07-19-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One time while roaming in Australia my phone actually crashed and rebooted when I left Wi-Fi

So it could be a phone issue or a network issue.

The CDMA coverage is likely on a different frequency than the LTE coverage, so it probably isn't making room. But you could be in a marginal coverage area anyway, or the network was overloaded.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPhone T-Mobile Roaming?

OK, so today it seemed like I had T-Mobile Roaming. I had full bars in an area where I normally did not.

Looks like I am looking for mcc-mnc 310-160 310-260 & 310-490 in the iPhone engineering screen according to https://cellidfinder.com/mcc-mnc
    Last edited by techfranz; 08-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4