Thread: iPhone T-Mobile Roaming?

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

iPhone T-Mobile Roaming?

Hey all;

Has anyone had any luck with their iPhones taking advantage of the new T-Mobile roaming? I carry two Sprint phones ó my personal phone is a Galaxy S8 Active and my work line is an iPhone X.

Both phones have PRL 55096 ó but the Galaxy is absolutely awesome about taking advantage of the new T-Mobile roaming... anywhere I drop to Sprint 3G, it jumps to nice T-Mo LTE (using their 310-260 MNC ó I donít think we have repurposed Clearwite MNCs here) and quickly jumps back to Sprint LTE when itís available again... its really made my Sprint experience so much better. I recently bought a house and thereís about a 2 mile stretch that is a Sprint 1x spot but T-Mo has a tower... the roaming is nice.

That said, Iíve yet to hit T-Mobile LTE with the iPhone... Iíve hit AT&T a couple times for very short periods, but it jumps back to Sprint 3G and 1X when even the most useless signal is available.

Is the T-Mobile roaming not available on the iPhones yet? Or do they just not do the same graceful switching that the Galaxies and androids can do? I do have the same PRL on both phones... but itíd be so nice if the iPhone got this. Itís been very helpful!

Also Iíve noticed that the Galaxy regularly hits T-Mo Band 2 first, sometimes 4... Iíve yet to see it hit Band 12 yet. Even though Iíve been in some Sprint dead areas where I know T-Mo has Band 12 only. I wonder if it has to see Band 2 to roam and get handed up somewhere else....

N

Feedback Score
    One possibility (among others) is that they are favoring the Samsung because it has been updated to a level that supports VoLTE (whether or not your phone can use VoLTE in your area yet).

iPhones 8 and above will gain VoLTE potential with IOS 12.1.1 (which is already in the developer channel). Maybe your roaming will be upgraded too in that update.
    Last edited by comintel; 11-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Hey all;

Has anyone had any luck with their iPhones taking advantage of the new T-Mobile roaming? I carry two Sprint phones ó my personal phone is a Galaxy S8 Active and my work line is an iPhone X.

Both phones have PRL 55096 ó but the Galaxy is absolutely awesome about taking advantage of the new T-Mobile roaming... anywhere I drop to Sprint 3G, it jumps to nice T-Mo LTE (using their 310-260 MNC ó I donít think we have repurposed Clearwite MNCs here) and quickly jumps back to Sprint LTE when itís available again... its really made my Sprint experience so much better. I recently bought a house and thereís about a 2 mile stretch that is a Sprint 1x spot but T-Mo has a tower... the roaming is nice.

That said, Iíve yet to hit T-Mobile LTE with the iPhone... Iíve hit AT&T a couple times for very short periods, but it jumps back to Sprint 3G and 1X when even the most useless signal is available.

Is the T-Mobile roaming not available on the iPhones yet? Or do they just not do the same graceful switching that the Galaxies and androids can do? I do have the same PRL on both phones... but itíd be so nice if the iPhone got this. Itís been very helpful!

Also Iíve noticed that the Galaxy regularly hits T-Mo Band 2 first, sometimes 4... Iíve yet to see it hit Band 12 yet. Even though Iíve been in some Sprint dead areas where I know T-Mo has Band 12 only. I wonder if it has to see Band 2 to roam and get handed up somewhere else....

N
    I have a iphone xs max on Sprint for work and a S9+ on Sprint personal. My iphone started roaming on tmobile when my s9+ would absolutely refuse. As of last week it finally started roaming like my iphone is. Also on the iphone it shows up as LTE while my S9+ says roaming. This is Jacksonville and Orlando market in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Hello. How do you know when you are roaming?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
    Hello. How do you know when you are roaming?
    On iphone it's hard to tell because it just says LTE like normal. On android instead of displaying LTE is says R.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post
    On iphone it's hard to tell because it just says LTE like normal. On android instead of displaying LTE is says R.

Oh! OK. Thank you. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ on Sprint. I just discovered where the roaming settings are on the phone.

I'm fortunate (in terms of cell phone coverage) as I live in a relatively densely populated area. So all four carriers have good coverage where I live and work. I don't think I would have an opportunity to test roaming unless I was traveling which I hardly ever do these days.

Ironically, Verizon actually has the worse reception at my home due to its cell site placement and the topography of the land.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post

My S8 Active has the R, and also shows 2 clocks -- both for the same time -- "Home" and "Away"... pretty hard to miss.

On the iPhone, does it also show "Extended" rather than Sprint like when it roams on AT&T, or do they have T-Mobile set up as roam like home / you can't tell unless you check the engineering screen.

N

Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone XS and Iíve been using the TMO roaming in our market but my kids X would linger on 3G when my phone switched to TMO

Feedback Score
    My S8 Active has the R, and also shows 2 clocks -- both for the same time -- "Home" and "Away"... pretty hard to miss.

On the iPhone, does it also show "Extended" rather than Sprint like when it roams on AT&T, or do they have T-Mobile set up as roam like home / you can't tell unless you check the engineering screen.

N
    No, my phone says Sprint but the 310-260 for TMO is present in field test.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I bought a Sonim XP8 which has not been updated to support VoLTE yet and it hops on T-Mobile anywhere I normally lose Sprint 3G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I bought a Sonim XP8 which has not been updated to support VoLTE yet and it hops on T-Mobile anywhere I normally lose Sprint 3G.
    I think that the original poster and others including me (for example) have phones where it hops on T-Mobile anywhere it would otherwise drop from LTE to 3G. That would be even better than hopping on only at the point where it loses 3G. But either is a step forward.
    In any case it is all moving in the right direction at least.....
    Last edited by comintel; 11-07-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I think that the original poster and others including me (for example) have phones where it hops on T-Mobile anywhere it would otherwise drop from LTE to 3G. That would be even better than hopping on only at the point where it loses 3G. But either is a step forward.
    In any case it is all moving in the right direction at least.....
    Agreed -- it's actually pretty slick on my S8 Active... I'm pretty sure the idea is to set this up for when VoLTE launches... I don't think there's any way to pass the call from LTE to 3G -- and Sprint's network drops from LTE to 3G quite a bit in many areas. It looks like Calling Plus does soft handoffs to this, so I'm pretty sure VoLTE will as well -- that would also explain why they are using an extra Clear MNC (although they aren't using a Clear MNC here yet -- but Calling Plus seems to hand off even to roaming, but I'll do further testing -- I've just noticed I can keep phone calls now

That said, my iPhone X still isn't picking it up yet... I've yet to see it hit T-Mo, although it has jumped to AT&T a few times.

Speaking of the S8 Active -- I thought it was on the list to get new VoLTE firmware if I did a manual update -- are these only available in the initial VoLTE areas (I thought mine was one of them), or is it supposed to be available to everyone now?

Thanks
    N

Feedback Score
    Agreed -- it's actually pretty slick on my S8 Active... I'm pretty sure the idea is to set this up for when VoLTE launches... I don't think there's any way to pass the call from LTE to 3G -- and Sprint's network drops from LTE to 3G quite a bit in many areas. It looks like Calling Plus does soft handoffs to this, so I'm pretty sure VoLTE will as well -- that would also explain why they are using an extra Clear MNC (although they aren't using a Clear MNC here yet -- but Calling Plus seems to hand off even to roaming, but I'll do further testing -- I've just noticed I can keep phone calls now

That said, my iPhone X still isn't picking it up yet... I've yet to see it hit T-Mo, although it has jumped to AT&T a few times.

Speaking of the S8 Active -- I thought it was on the list to get new VoLTE firmware if I did a manual update -- are these only available in the initial VoLTE areas (I thought mine was one of them), or is it supposed to be available to everyone now?

Thanks
    N
    Very interesting! I do not know the answer to your question myself though......

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey all;

Has anyone had any luck with their iPhones taking advantage of the new T-Mobile roaming? I carry two Sprint phones — my personal phone is a Galaxy S8 Active and my work line is an iPhone X.

Both phones have PRL 55096 — but the Galaxy is absolutely awesome about taking advantage of the new T-Mobile roaming... anywhere I drop to Sprint 3G, it jumps to nice T-Mo LTE (using their 310-260 MNC — I don’t think we have repurposed Clearwite MNCs here) and quickly jumps back to Sprint LTE when it’s available again... its really made my Sprint experience so much better. I recently bought a house and there’s about a 2 mile stretch that is a Sprint 1x spot but T-Mo has a tower... the roaming is nice.

That said, I’ve yet to hit T-Mobile LTE with the iPhone... I’ve hit AT&T a couple times for very short periods, but it jumps back to Sprint 3G and 1X when even the most useless signal is available.

Is the T-Mobile roaming not available on the iPhones yet? Or do they just not do the same graceful switching that the Galaxies and androids can do? I do have the same PRL on both phones... but it’d be so nice if the iPhone got this. It’s been very helpful!

Also I’ve noticed that the Galaxy regularly hits T-Mo Band 2 first, sometimes 4... I’ve yet to see it hit Band 12 yet. Even though I’ve been in some Sprint dead areas where I know T-Mo has Band 12 only. I wonder if it has to see Band 2 to roam and get handed up somewhere else....

N
    so when ur phone drops down to 3G the phone will kick over to t-mobile roaming???

i thought the phone would have to have "no service" before it started roaming, i mean u can still make calls/text and even use data so why would it roam?

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    so when ur phone drops down to 3G the phone will kick over to t-mobile roaming???

i thought the phone would have to have "no service" before it started roaming, i mean u can still make calls/text and even use data so why would it roam?
    On my Galaxy, yes it does. It hits 3G then flips to T-Mo LTE if available. Pretty sure the idea is to stay in LTE as much as possible so that VoLTE works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast