Thread: Minutes Upon Activation

Carrier(s)
    PPC - Trac
    Feedback Score

Minutes Upon Activation

I've been away from Page Plus for a long time. We are planning a trip to Mexico in the near future and I know PPC works there while our Tracfones will not. I checked an old android Tracfone I have with Page Plus last night and it will activate.

In the old days with Ugly Eric you got 100 minutes and a few service days upon activation on PPC. Is there anything like that going on now?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    I've been away from Page Plus for a long time. We are planning a trip to Mexico in the near future and I know PPC works there while our Tracfones will not. I checked an old android Tracfone I have with Page Plus last night and it will activate.

In the old days with Ugly Eric you got 100 minutes and a few service days upon activation on PPC. Is there anything like that going on now?
    I don't have any recollection of PPC working in Mexico. Is that documented somewhere? I do know PPC used to work in Canada some years ago, but that was when there was still some CDMA in Canada.

Those free minutes with activation came directly from PPC, not the dealer. But that has been gone for many years now.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    About the only new goings-on with PPC are with the PAYGO-level offering (the "Standard Plan") now allowing LTE devices, and the cost per minute for that service becoming uniform across all refill denominations at $0.06.

That and the continual snails-pace evolution of monthly plan rates to compete where management deems necessary/effective.

Free introductory minutes are long gone, as Boz1 stated.

25jive1, I remember your handle and that it's been a while since an appearance here by you. Welcome back!

Carrier(s)
    PPC - Trac
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    25jive1, I remember your handle and that it's been a while since an appearance here by you. Welcome back!
    Thanks for the info and the welcome back. At one time I had 4 phones active and running at the same time. Because Tracfone is so much fun to play with I decided to just go with them totally. My thirst for cell phone knowledge has lessened over the years.
    Its been a few years since we were on PPC and took a trip into Mexico. In Monterrey my wife called her Mother in Missouri from our hotel, the call went through without a hitch and the minutes deducted were at regular rates. I'm not sure if calls from Mexico are still that-a-way but 2 years ago on another trip to Mexico with another couple our Tracs lost signal just blocks from the border while the other couples VZW phones showed signal during the entire trip, they texted and talked back home frequently.

A while back while looking around on Trac web site I noticed a LG L34C (reconditioned) for free, I figgered "what the hell". I check with PPC and they will activate that phone. Because we are planning another trip to Mexico early next year I decided to give it a shot and see what happens. If it won't work I'm only out the $10 for minutes.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info and the welcome back. At one time I had 4 phones active and running at the same time. Because Tracfone is so much fun to play with I decided to just go with them totally. My thirst for cell phone knowledge has lessened over the years.
    Its been a few years since we were on PPC and took a trip into Mexico. In Monterrey my wife called her Mother in Missouri from our hotel, the call went through without a hitch and the minutes deducted were at regular rates. I'm not sure if calls from Mexico are still that-a-way but 2 years ago on another trip to Mexico with another couple our Tracs lost signal just blocks from the border while the other couples VZW phones showed signal during the entire trip, they texted and talked back home frequently.

A while back while looking around on Trac web site I noticed a LG L34C (reconditioned) for free, I figgered "what the hell". I check with PPC and they will activate that phone. Because we are planning another trip to Mexico early next year I decided to give it a shot and see what happens. If it won't work I'm only out the $10 for minutes.
    Wasn't you wife's call to her mom in MO using a phone on Vzw directly, and not on PPC?
    While we were in Monterrey both my wifes post paid VZW and my Page Plus phones showed the roaming triangle. While we did not test the phones to see if a call could be made between them she did call her mother in Missouri on her VZW phone using the 00+1+area code and phone number international calling method. The call went through instantly with good voice quality.

Checking my wifes VZW account usage online just now I see no extra charges for international calls. So in her case it seems just roaming applies. She pays no more to roam.

Traveling between Reynosa and Monterrey neither phone got a signal. Rural Mexico in that region is very sparsely populated with miles between houses. The Telcel phone showed full bars in those rural areas. Monterrey is about 150 miles from the border in the state of Nuevo Leon.

When I turned the Page Plus phone on in the hotel where we were staying it showed the words "no service" for several seconds before it finally picked up a couple of bars with the triangle.

If I had actually made a call I could give you a better report.....next time.

Carrier(s)
    PPC - Trac
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Wasn't you wife's call to her mom in MO using a phone on Vzw directly, and not on PPC?
    Use that information in any manner you see fit. Thanks for digging up the old post and refreshing my memory. You must not be very busy.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Use that information in any manner you see fit. Thanks for digging up the old post and refreshing my memory. You must not be very busy.
    You're welcome.

I'm plenty busy. I just choose to spend some of my time here.

Your old post came up in a simple Google search based on the question you posted above.

It took less time to find with Google than it probably took you to post your question above.

I only decided to quote it after you contradicted what you said in that old post.

Carrier(s)
    PPC - Trac
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You're welcome.

I'm plenty busy. I just choose to spend some of my time here.

Your old post came up in a simple Google search based on the question you posted above.

It took less time to find with Google than it probably took you to post your question above.

I only decided to quote it after you contradicted what you said in that old post.
    I'll admit my recall is not perfect but you'll have to excuse my 78 year old brain. Honestly I barely remember my wife having a VZW contract phone. My memory told me we both were on PPC at the time but I was mistaken. It makes little difference. We'll just have to see what happens upon activation and crossing the border. I'm surprised at your determination to get the somewhat meaningless facts, you could pick your nose and be more productive. Regardless of the time it took to dig up the old post its a waste of time, surly you have more important things to do. It takes all kinds I suppose. Thanks again

Carrier(s)
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    PagePlus 4G LTE does not work in Mexico, at least not in the DF. I found that out the hard way. No service at all.

Pageplus CDMA used to work in Mexico a few years back but you had to double dial. Texts were fine. I don't know if it still does now.

Carrier(s)
    PPC - Trac
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icebook View Post
    PagePlus 4G LTE does not work in Mexico, at least not in the DF. I found that out the hard way. No service at all.

Pageplus CDMA used to work in Mexico a few years back but you had to double dial. Texts were fine. I don't know if it still does now.
    Two years ago I was setting in the Plaza in San Miguel de Allende deep in the heart of Mexico. I had a Tracfone activated on AT&T which lost signal bars blocks from the border when we crossed. However I was able to text my daughter in Missouri and received texts from her. Voice calls were not possible. I'm still going to activate the PPC phone and see what happens when we visit Mexico early next year. If texting works I'll be happy with that. Mexican providers such as TelCell are a waste of time for an english only speaking person to activate.