Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WiFi calling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Has anyone been able to activate wifi calling using a BYOD at&t SIM? on an iPhone (what model)?

I'm trying to activate this feature on an unlocked iPhone 6S with an TF at&t SIM (BYOD) but the TF eligibility checker (link provided in post #9 earlier in this thread) for some reason says that phone is not compatible (??).

I also have an Straight Talk iPhone SE activated under Tracfone (VZW) with the ST SIM and the checker says that I need a new SIM for this one. Will a new BYOD VZW SIM work in this case?

Any first hand experience info with Tracfone wifi calling and iPhones is appreciated. Thanks.
    Unless something has changed recently, the only TF carrier that is currently supporting WiFi calling is T-Mobile. I have all 3 TF carrier sims. I also have phones that can use all 3. The only time WiFi calling is available is with the T-Mobile sim.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have heard iPhones with Verizon based SIM might have a small chance of getting WiFi calling better then Android ones, but I heard that it is really small tho. This could be because they could be using Apple servers. I could be wrong tho since I don't have any Apple devices.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    What is the benefit/attraction of WiFi Calling when used with TF service? As far as I know, your talk bucket still gets deducted for the call. Am I wrong?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    What is the benefit/attraction of WiFi Calling when used with TF service? As far as I know, your talk bucket still gets deducted for the call. Am I wrong?
    Possibly 1) if you're in a basement or elsewhere with no cellular signal, but have WiFi available, you can still call/text using your carrier #, and 2) if you're in a foreign country and have WiFi available, you can still call/text using your carrier #.

Hmmm...I guess 1) and 2) are basically the same thing, but hopefully you get the idea!

But yes, the talk/text buckets are deducted using WiFi calling the same as if using the cellular network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The lack of WiFi calling with TF/VZW and TF/AT&T is not an iPhone specific issue. Those carriers don't offer that service to the MVNOs. T-Mobile does.
    Ok, but then why that web page with the Tracfone elegibility checker for wifi calling is up if they cannot offer the service? I was hoping someone has already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I'm just trying to fill a small coverage gap where calls are being missed due to weak signal. Not trying to save minutes from bucket. Also, as Boz1 said, it'd be a nice feature to have when traveling abroad for just few days. (for longer stays I usually get a local SIM).

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Unless something has changed recently, the only TF carrier that is currently supporting WiFi calling is T-Mobile. I have all 3 TF carrier sims. I also have phones that can use all 3. The only time WiFi calling is available is with the T-Mobile sim.
    Same here with our Android phones on all 3 carriers through TF service. Only my wife's Fiesta 2 on TF/T-mo has WiFi calling.

Feedback Score
    Unless something has changed recently, the only TF carrier that is currently supporting WiFi calling is T-Mobile.
    Maybe T-Mobile allows it because they know how lousy their signal can be?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Maybe T-Mobile allows it because they know how lousy their signal can be?
    Could be. 🙂 In my case I have the T-Mobile sim in a phone I keep in the house. There is a T-Mobile tower across the street. I always have 5 bars. LTE data is as fast as my ISP connection. Even though WiFi calling is available, I don't use it. WiFi calling does not buy me anything as it still uses minutes.

Feedback Score
    Even though WiFi calling is available, I don't use it. WiFi calling does not buy me anything as it still uses minutes.
    I know of many areas here that have cable Internet, but are in a weak zone for mobile phone. Some of these areas are fairly close to the towns and highways. A lot of hills and trees, and the towers are short.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2