Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: how much do you rely on CDMA/1x?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

how much do you rely on CDMA/1x?

rely on CDMA scale 1-10?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

I used an Intel iPhone 8 Plus on VZ for just over half a year. For the most part I didnít have issues with the lack of CDMA.

It was only recently when I was traveling in the upper part of Idaho that I really missed it. Near the Elk Creek Park my parentsí CDMA capable iPhone 6S devices roamed on Inland Cellular with 1x which worked for basic phone service, texting and Navigation while my Intel iPhone simply had No Service.

For me the big disadvantage to losing CDMA is losing the CDMA roaming. In VZ native areas having an LTE only device wasnít really a problem aside from some occasional strange VoLTE issues.

I picked up an iPhone XS yesterday and even though I could easily manage without CDMA on the 8 Plus, Iím glad to have it back.

Edit: as for the scale, maybe 2-3 out of 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Donít cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Normally I would say that I would be indifferent. I live in an urban area with excellent LTE coverage. However this weekend, I took a trip to visit my Mom, they live in a poor cell coverage area. My car's infotainment system displays the cellular service that the phone is connected to. I noticed that in her neighborhood, coverage dropped to 3G service and not long afterwards, actually dropped to 1X for a while.

As long as I'm making those visits, I would guess that I would rate the importance as 4-5 out of 10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    I used an Intel iPhone 8 Plus on VZ for just over half a year. For the most part I didnít have issues with the lack of CDMA.

It was only recently when I was traveling in the upper part of Idaho that I really missed it. Near the Elk Creek Park my parentsí CDMA capable iPhone 6S devices roamed on Inland Cellular with 1x which worked for basic phone service, texting and Navigation while my Intel iPhone simply had No Service.

For me the big disadvantage to losing CDMA is losing the CDMA roaming. In VZ native areas having an LTE only device wasnít really a problem aside from some occasional strange VoLTE issues.

I picked up an iPhone XS yesterday and even though I could easily manage without CDMA on the 8 Plus, Iím glad to have it back.

Edit: as for the scale, maybe 2-3 out of 10

Have you been reading the thread about the reception problems with the iPhone XS? Why would you take a chance on purchasing one? Just curious.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Have you been reading the thread about the reception problems with the iPhone XS? Why would you take a chance on purchasing one? Just curious.
    I have heard about that. I was willing to take the risk to get the dual SIM functionality through E-SIM.

Having the option of running AT&T or VZ at will for data is super appealing to me.

Between that and AT&Tís band 14 & 46, my hope is even if the phone has weaker radios I have an overall better experience.

So far in my brief usage (late yesterday and this morning) it seems to work at least as good as my 8 Plus for data as of right now.

I have experienced one call drop over VZ WiFi calling. Time will tell if thatís going to be a regular issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    rely on CDMA scale 1-10?

In fact, I wish there was a way to turn off CDMA on my phone altogether (iPhone) and force it to use LTE only. Not that I hardly ever see it drop to 3G/1x anyway, but I'd rather disable the capability altogether. If/when I ever found myself in a rural area without LTE, I could toggle CDMA back on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    rely on CDMA scale 1-10?
    10 - I rely 100% on CDMA for voice and text. My Galaxy S4 is not capable of VoLTE. Voice and text is what I need from a cellphone. Data is just nice to have. I will get a VoLTE capable phone next year or just switch my service to one of my AT&T phones for daily use.

As of now, Verizon is the only carrier that has signal inside the house so I need Vz. Otherwise, I would switch to something with AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 - The only time I can remember in the last year that I've seen my phone switch down from LTE was in Zion national park on some trails back up in the hills. Outside of that I haven't seen any need for CDMA on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Was 1: The only times I would get 1x/3G was in places like Bel Air, Beverly Glen etc..where AT&T and T-Mobile would drop dead or parts of San Juan Capistrano and Laguna Niguel, where AT&T falls between kinda works to dead with the iPhone 7 I had. I also had a few IoT devices for my office which ran on the CDMA from Verizon Wireless, replaced those with LTE capable devices.

Now 0: I don't even see this at all, even if I did I probably can survive a few hours or days on 1x/3G. For my BB KeyOne I just set it to "LTE Only".

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crkeehn View Post
    Normally I would say that I would be indifferent. I live in an urban area with excellent LTE coverage. However this weekend, I took a trip to visit my Mom, they live in a poor cell coverage area. My car's infotainment system displays the cellular service that the phone is connected to. I noticed that in her neighborhood, coverage dropped to 3G service and not long afterwards, actually dropped to 1X for a while.

As long as I'm making those visits, I would guess that I would rate the importance as 4-5 out of 10.
    In that same area where Verizon only roams on 1xRTT do any of the other carriers provide HSPA+ or LTE service?

I thought non CDMA devices operated on Verizon will roam on AT&T's 3G network where available?
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    In that same area where Verizon only roams on 1xRTT do any of the other carriers provide HSPA+ or LTE service?

I thought non CDMA devices operated on Verizon will roam on AT&T's 3G network where available?
    I honestly can't say what is or isn't available in that area. I suspect that it most likely would be regarded as a cellular desert, an extremely rural area with no nearby major roads to provide coverage. Unfortunately, in North Carolina there are too many of those sorts of areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post

That was not my experience with my Intel iPhone 8 Plus.

Where AT&T was available but Verizon was not I would only see ďNo ServiceĒ.

Likewise in the Inland Cellular area, my AT&T hotspot would camp on Inland Cellular band 5 LTE (although it didnít authenticate, so it couldnít be used) while my iPhone 8 Plus again just had ďNo ServiceĒ.

It could be they didnít provision my Intel iPhone 8 Plus for the WCDMA roaming on AT&T.

Iím curious to see if anyone has successfully roamed on AT&T or another WCDMA carrier yet.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    That was not my experience with my Intel iPhone 8 Plus.

Where AT&T was available but Verizon was not I would only see “No Service”.

Likewise in the Inland Cellular area, my AT&T hotspot would camp on Inland Cellular band 5 LTE (although it didn’t authenticate, so it couldn’t be used) while my iPhone 8 Plus again just had “No Service”.

It could be they didn’t provision my Intel iPhone 8 Plus for the WCDMA roaming on AT&T.

I’m curious to see if anyone has successfully roamed on AT&T or another WCDMA carrier yet.
    It sounds like they didn't provision your account for a CDMA-LESS device. A quick call to customer care or a trip to your local store should be able to add the "CDMA-LESS DEVICE" feature to your account. I can personally confirm that with this feature you can roam on AT&T's WCDMA network, but it's super slow (capped maybe?) like 1x roaming on US Cellular.

AT&T roaming isn't available everywhere, so to see where roaming has been enabled you can go to Verizon's coverage map, scroll down to the interactive map, and click on the 3 bars in the top left and switch the coverage to "4G LTE without 3G CDMA", and the darker red will be WCDMA roaming: https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...etter-matters/

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    It sounds like they didn't provision your account for a CDMA-LESS device. A quick call to customer care or a trip to your local store should be able to add the "CDMA-LESS DEVICE" feature to your account. I can personally confirm that with this feature you can roam on AT&T's WCDMA network, but it's super slow (capped maybe?) like 1x roaming on US Cellular.

AT&T roaming isn't available everywhere, so to see where roaming has been enabled you can go to Verizon's coverage map, scroll down to the interactive map, and click on the 3 bars in the top left and switch the coverage to "4G LTE without 3G CDMA", and the darker red will be WCDMA roaming: https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...etter-matters/
    I didnít know you needed to call in to add that. I donít have it saved anywhere but I could have sworn that on my Verizon it said iPhone8PlusCDMALSS or something like that.

I guess it didnít have that feature. It would have been cool to test that out.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It depends on how your line was activated if you would get it or not. If you just did a SIM swap from an already activated phone into the iPhone, then you would need to call in to have it added. If you activated through the website with a new SIM, then it should add it for you. If you go to your devices on MyVerizon, it should say CDMALSS, but it won't automatically be added. The CS rep will see that in the devices list then be able to add it on their side.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast