Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Which Android OS Phone For Hot Spot Use?

Feedback Score
    On my old boost plan i had 3 GB Lte and then throttled to 128 kbps and I would use over 13 GB hotspot all just web browsing on my laptop.

Now my new unlimited $50 plan ($25 promo) has 12 GB hotspot with a hard data cap so in that way it is not as good.

Now I need to conserve my hotspot for important stuff. A lot of Windows programs require online installers for downloads and updates and that is what I have to use hotspot for because there is no offline installer. One example is unreal engine 4 only uses online installer for downloads.

So I like unlimited data for hotspot even if it is only 2g.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm almost at the end of my second Lycamobile SIM and I've got one more left that I'll activate on the 14th. So far I've gotten my money's worth from these things just using them for data only and I've probably averaged around 9GB/month with them so far. Down side though is they are slow because Tmobile service sucks big ones in my area!!

So ennywho, I'm getting some money back from taxes and I'm thinking about getting a CDMA phone so I can try some of the other stuff out there. All the CDMA providers in my area ARE providing 4G LTE service so I'd like to see what's available with one of those phones.

Having said that, I'm looking for recommendations again for a cheap unlocked CDMA smart phone to play with like this BLU GSM phone I got from fleabay but most everything I see for CDMA is at least twice the price or more than that BLU phone was??? Any suggestions guys & gals and I'd consider a "used" phone as long as it's not junk.

And thanks again for your help!!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    EDIT: In the previous post I stated that I was at the end of my second Lycamobile SIM. That statement is incorrect as I'm now on my 4th SIM but it is the second of THREE that I purchased a couple of months back. The one I'm going to activate on the 14th is the last one of the 3 pack I bought.

Ennywho, still looking for input for a cheapie CDMA phone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Akacheebe View Post
    ...So ennywho, I'm getting some money back from taxes and I'm thinking about getting a CDMA phone so I can try some of the other stuff out there. All the CDMA providers in my area ARE providing 4G LTE service so I'd like to see what's available with one of those phones....
    CDMA is a dead end. Verizon is turning off CDMA at the end of 2019 and will stop allowing activations on MVNOs in April 2019. CDMA phones are already blocked from activation on Verizon and Verizon Prepaid. Any new activations need to have a VoLTE phone.

Sprint will probably continue CDMA for a while, but the future of Sprint is a dead end too.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that there are carrier unbranded, unlocked phones with VoLTE that can be used on any carrier. The Moto G5/6/7 are examples. These are good mid-range phones. A new G6 goes for about $200, occasionally less on sales.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Hummmm, looks like I need to do some reading as I've never heard of VoLTE until you posted it here?? Yup, I live in a cave I guess.

Not sure I want to spend that much for a phone to do just data.

And on another note, my electric cooperative has started installing fiber optic cable throughout it's service area. What that means is, that some time in the not too distant future I'll be able to get a 100MBs up and down unlimited internet connection out here in the country for $50 a month. That cable is less than a quarter mile from my house right now and they are doing installs in a sub division about a half mile up the road from me now.

Ennywho, I guess I better just do nothing until all this shakes out since Verizon isn't going to be allowing MVNOs to do much of anything starting next month and they are where these SIM swapping deals are most of the time.

Thanks for the info and I'll do some reading today to try to "catch up" on what's going to happen with cellular service in the future.

Feedback Score
    Voice over LTE (volte) means you want to make a phone call over LTE. I think google voice is better because it is free and the number does not lock you into a carrier.

I still like my unlocked moto e4 that cost $123 and is suppose to work on all 4 carriers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6