Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which Android OS Phone For Hot Spot Use?

Feedback Score
    Last week people were saying they found the unlocked moto e4 at walmart in the store on clearance for $64.

I am not sure if they are still on clearance but you can check online using the link below just enter your zip code. This was in store only and not available online.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=541084915

I checked my local walmart and they did not have any.

This would be a good phone to get if you can get it on sale.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Got another Lyca Mobile SIM in the mail today. This one is 1GB 4G LTE Data with unlimited talk and text and was $9.29 shipped.

FYI, the current SIM I'm using is approaching 10GB and although it has acted kinda funky once it went past 9GB, it's still downloading stuff, just kinda slow. That and I do use it quite a bit for "surfing" as well. This current SIM is suppose to die around 12/13 then I'll see how this cheaper new one works.

RE: That Moto E4................. Thanks for the link but I think I'm going to ride this Blu Studio J1 for a while yet before I spend any money on a CDMA phone.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    UPDATE: Good news and bad news. Good news is I used 11.35GB of data on that Lycamobile SIM before it quit working last night. Bad news is the new Lycamobile SIM I got won't activate? Sent a message to the Ebay vendor to try to get some help so right now I'm in a holding pattern until I hear from them.

I'll update when/if I can get this SIM activated.

12/14/2018 UPDATE: Got a reply from the Ebay vendor suggesting that I try to activate that SIM one more time, and, if that didn't work to message him the SIM ID number and a zip code and he'd activate it for me.

But last night I decided to do a factory reset on my phone then installed that new SIM. Then this morning I tried to activate it again and it worked!! Took about an hour for it to start passing data but after that it's been working fine at 2G speed, which is what I expected it would be.

So here I go again and I'll see how much data I can run through this one over the next month!!!
    Last edited by Akacheebe; 12-14-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    That is good you are getting a lot of data for your money.

This is something new you might be interested in that cost $25 for 20 GB and is a one time use sim card for data only.

You can use this in a hotspot instead of a phone if you want. A hotspot might cost less than a phone but I am not sure what they cost.

https://howardforums.com/showthread....only-SIM-cards

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yeah that unlimited plan sounds good, BUT, in my area out here in the country side 16 miles from the nearest city Tmobile DOES NOT have anything but 2G DATA SPEED! Found that out today. AT&T doesn't offer anything faster than 3G and no economical plans to boot. Like I said before, I should have gotten a CDMA phone instead but then again, this was "my first rodeo" and I really didn't know WTF I was doing.

Live and learn I guess!

Feedback Score
    Cost from high to low is generally in the order of Verizon, at&t, t-mobile, sprint.

Generally Verizon and at&t have better coverage in rural areas.

If you have sprint in your area you might find cheap deals for a sprint MVNO.

I would double check the coverage map to see if t-mobile has 4G in your area. I heard they often have LTE or 2G but no 3G in many areas.

Feedback Score
    You might want to check into this car wi-fi deal from AT&T.

I think you can run this from your car and get wi-fi in the house from the car but not sure if that would work.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-...hoChgAQAvD_BwE

Get unlimited data for your car for $20/mo.**
    After 22GB/line/mo. AT&T may slow speeds when the network is busy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    You might want to check into this car wi-fi deal from AT&T.

I think you can run this from your car and get wi-fi in the house from the car but not sure if that would work.
    For these, the hotspot has to stay in the car. If you can get the car close enough to the house you can repeat the signal into the house. It takes a repeater bridge. That can be configured on a cheap Wifi router. I have done this with my car hotspot. The speed isn't good due to the distance from the house to the car and the car body attenuating the Wifi signal - like 1-2 Mbps.

I don't know if this iteration of Connected Car hotspot will continue running with the car off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    For these, the hotspot has to stay in the car. If you can get the car close enough to the house you can repeat the signal into the house. It takes a repeater bridge. That can be configured on a cheap Wifi router. I have done this with my car hotspot. The speed isn't good due to the distance from the house to the car and the car body attenuating the Wifi signal - like 1-2 Mbps.

I don't know if this iteration of Connected Car hotspot will continue running with the car off.
    That is great you have experience with this so you know more than I do about it.

I put my smart phone in a window to get better reception and I can get a strong wi-fi signal in the entire house so I was thinking that if you have wi-fi in the car and the car is parked near the house you would be able able to get the signal in the house easily but I never tried it so don't know if it would work.

If you keep the hotspot in the car I was thinking you can use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged and just run it 24 hours a day. I have a battery tender from costco that would work good for this purpose.

Yes, you need to check if the hotspot runs with the car engine off but I think it use to.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Tmobile coverage map only shows 2G available for my area. If you go to that map and use zip 24593 you'll see what I mean. Same thing for AT&T with the 3G. Neither of those providers seem to care much about rural customers!

RE: Sprint.......... Well, I already have a Sprint unlimited account that came from the Ntelos Sprint merger back a year or so ago. My $40 a month Unlimited Ntelos post pay account was grandfathered into Sprint, BUT, having said that I'm not so sure where that will go when Tmobile buys Sprint out in the not too distant future.

I try to keep that account in the 20/23GB/month MAX range to keep them off my back. Example, this unlimited account with Ntelos got data capped @15GB after 2 years on that contract. Then they cut it back to something slower than what 3G was for the rest of the month. In their defense, I was using 28 to 32GB/Month when they dropped the hammer but I thought "unlimited" actually meant unlimited? I guess I was wrong!

So you can understand why I'm a little bit "gun shy" about using too much with the grandfathered $40 Sprint Unlimited I have now, hence the SIM card swap deal I've been using recently since my $5 a month Verizon MiFi died last July.

As for the car wifi thingie? I've heard of it but never looked into it because it's not something that came with my 2014 Hundai Accent.

Ennywho, my mobile hot spot smart phone is still working, just very slowly. Since I got this new SIM activated I've put 1.9GB and counting through it and it's downloading as I type this. It does create problems on HTTP downloads as it will cut data off randomly unless I keep www.drudgereport.com open on one tab to keep refreshing the connection. Without that running the HTTP downloads just fail.

I did download a copy of FreeBSD 12 Linux yesterday from an FTP server in Ireland, ftp.heanet.ie and that Filezilla FTP client will keep reconnecting/downloading even if the connection is dropped, which it did many times! That was a 780MB ISO image so it took a while to get it done, but it did finish it sometime early this morning.

So, having said all that, I'll look into the car wifi thingie either today or tomorrow to see if I'm actually missing something worth while.

Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by Akacheebe; 12-19-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    That is great you have experience with this so you know more than I do about it.

I put my smart phone in a window to get better reception and I can get a strong wi-fi signal in the entire house so I was thinking that if you have wi-fi in the car and the car is parked near the house you would be able able to get the signal in the house easily but I never tried it so don't know if it would work.
    My Mobley and the new Harmon Spark hotspots plug in the vehicle OBD port. That is down in the footwell of the driver. The Wifi is fine in the car, but that location means that a lot of it is blocked from getting out of the car by the car's metal body. Some bounces around and makes it out through the windows.

If you keep the hotspot in the car I was thinking you can use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged and just run it 24 hours a day. I have a battery tender from costco that would work good for this purpose.

Yes, you need to check if the hotspot runs with the car engine off but I think it use to.
    The Mobley and Harmon Spark are powered by the OBD port, no battery. The Spark communicates with the car over the OBD and will not operate without being plugged in the car it is authorized for. The Mobley only takes power from the OBD. Various ways have been found to power it outside the car. The Mobley and its unlimited plan are no longer available.

The Q&A about the Spark says it only works when the engine is running. That answer was from an individual rather than an AT&T rep so it probably needs to be verified.

Feedback Score
    If the engine needs to be running that would not work unless there is a way to trick it so it stays on when the car is not running.

Also I wonder how they would check if the engine is running because some cars start and stop the engine at lights so that might mean your wi-fi stops at a light. If it has GPS I guess they could check your location and make sure you are moving too.

As far as the device needing to be in the OBD port and the car body stopping the signal I bet you could easily create a jumper so you could mount the device somewhere so it would have better signal strength.

If you like sprint boost is on sprint. I just got a boost promo for unlimited $25 normally $50 but that promo is discontinued but there is a similar bestbuy promo for $25 I think goes until next year but it does require buying a unlocked phone from bestbuy. You can check the promo in the link below.

https://bestmvno.com/boost-mobile/bo...-for-25-month/

Feedback Score
    If the engine needs to be running that would not work unless there is a way to trick it so it stays on when the car is not running.

Also I wonder how they would check if the engine is running because some cars start and stop the engine at lights so that might mean your wi-fi stops at a light. If it has GPS I guess they could check your location and make sure you are moving too.

As far as the device needing to be in the OBD port and the car body stopping the signal I bet you could easily create a jumper so you could mount the device somewhere so it would have better signal strength....
    The Spark communicates with the car network - CANBus? I'm sure there are status messages about if the car is on or off.

Yeah, you could get or make an OBD M-F extension cable to put the hotspot up on the dashboard.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like it won't work if the car needs to be running.

I would not buy car wi-fi that cost $20 a month if it only works while the car is running because I can put my phone in the car and use its wi-fi for free which is what I do now.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, I've got 8 days left on this 30day 1GB LTE Lycamobile SIM and so far I'm over 9GB of data and counting running at 2G speed. Looked like these SIM cards were disappearing on fleabay so last week I ordered 3 more of them that cost me $27 shipped so I've got enough to last me into mid April.

So, bottom line is.................this SIM swapping is cheap enough and working but it's slow and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone for a primary internet connection unless you're just flat broke and can't do any better. What I'm doing is using it for large downloads only on a computer that I don't need to use for anything else, ie, it's an old Dell 2400 with Windowz XP on it that works fine for this application.

I'm going to get some money back from taxes this spring so maybe then I'll spring for a CDMA phone to try out! ;-)

Later guys...............................

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast