Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which Android OS Phone For Hot Spot Use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Akacheebe View Post
    UPDATE: Got those Mint Mobile SIM cards today. Put one in SIM slot #1 and fired it up. Phone picked it up at boot up and it was showing me 3/4 bars of signal strength on the display. I tried to see if I could make a call with it but it was a no go. So, I did try to set it up as a WIFI Hot SPOT and that part was working but VERY slooooooooow. I did get my computer connected to it via WIFI though and did open a webpage Mintmobile.com with the WIFI Hot Spot feature. Didn't want to work very well with any other website but it was passing data, meaning it was actually connected to their server. So, I went to the Mint Mobile website and entered the 11 digit SIM s/n and tried to activate it there but it was a "no go" telling me to call them for activation? So I guess I'll have to make that phone call tomorrow to see if I can get the phone part working. Oh, and an FYI for you guys, Mint Mobile is owned by Ultra Mobile!! Yup, got that printed right on the package that the SIMs came in. So there. Same thing only different I guess. .................................................. ...
    try connecting the phone via USB cable or Bluetooth connection and see if internet works better.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OK guys, alternate plan "E"................. Decided not to do the Mint Mobile thingie because they want me to install their application on my phone to configure it and I'd rather not have any more crapware on it than is on it now?? At this point that's not going to happen.

So, I found this SIM that runs on Tmobile's network that I ordered last week that should be here tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll see how that works and notice in the instructions that no name or any other personal info is needed to use it. It's one of those 30 day and throw it away deals and I can buy a 10 pack of them for just under $100 if I want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LYCAMOBILE-...53.m2749.l2649

The never ending story...........................

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, I've got good news and I've got bad news:

First the bad news, in my area neither Tmobile nor AT&T have HSPA 4G available, and even worse, Tmobile, which the lycamobile SIM uses is only 2G!! Which sucks BTW. Right now I'm downloading Ubuntu Mate 18.04 from the phone configured as a hot spot and it's saying it's going to take 25 HOURS to complete that 2.1GB download?? Oh well! Did I mention that 2G sucks?

The good news is, this connection was very easy to setup, even for a novice like me!! Instructions that came with it were very clear and made it easy to follow and only took a few minutes to complete after I figured out that I had turned the volume down and couldn't hear it?? DOH!! [/rolleyes]

Ennywho, just so you know I did have the phone look for all available networks in my area and the only ones found were Lycamobile @ 2G and AT&T @ only 3G so it is what it is.

I guess the bottom line is, I should have bought an unlocked CDMA phone and looked for a Verizon SIM deal instead. But hey, I did learn a bunch, and thanks for the help guys!!!

Feedback Score
    Bestbuy.com has a similar blu phone for black friday for $59. It is a 3G phone similar to yours but with a newer OS.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blu-gra...?skuId=6178624

Your phone was cheaper and still a good price. I assume these phones work fine for voice.

My unlocked moto e4 was $123. It looks like most unlocked 4g phones are in that price range.

Most cheap unlocked phones are GSM only. The interesting thing about the unlocked moto e4 is it is a universal phone that works on all 4 carriers AT&T, Verizon, t-mobile, sprint (GSM and CDMA).

For unlocked phones the carrier still must allow it. For example, it is compatible with verizon but they still must allow it or it won't work. Normally you can check the carrier and they will tell you their bring your own phone policy.

That unlocked AT&T Alcatel Ideal Xcite was cheaper but that might have had issues with the AT&T software only working on AT&T for hotspot but I don't know.

If your phone does not work good for you then you might be able to sell it.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, last night I left this phone on in hot spot mode and continued that Ubuntu download. I was up at 2am and it was disconnected stating it had done an another update?? What? It had already done a 25MB download and update when I first turned it on with this new SIM in it??

So I reconnected it and restarted that download and went back to bed. Up a 6:30am and checked and it was disconnected yet again? Restart again and it was only passing data @ 3Kbps OR LESS??? WTF?? Shut it down, waited 5 minutes and restarted it and that download and it's still not doing any better than 3Kbps OR LESS........................ With a message about data usage?? Hummm, info that came with the SIM says that it's suppose to be good for 4GB at 4G speed then it drops to 2G unlimited, which it's NOT doing!! And that after only downloading HALF that 2.1GB Ubuntu Mate ISO image!

So this isn't going very well at all. I could handle the 25Kbps download speed because I've got multiple computers and it's not a problem to have one of them doing nothing but downloads but the way this thing is acting now, I won't even be able to use it that way either.

So, I'm done! With personal property taxes due, real estate taxes due as is car insurance on the 3 vehicles we have, plus Christmas coming I guess I'm done until after the first of the year. Retirement is good and I retired at 60 and a half years old in January 2006 but the pay isn't all that good especially since expenses keep going up ad nauseam!!!

Later guys!!

Feedback Score
    You need to try and turn off all android updates. There might be some things that you can't stop from updating. If android is doing an update that will slow down any downloads you are doing.

You might need to use a firewall to prevent updates. One app that might help is google datally which is designed for slow Internet.

Once you think all android updates are off do a speed test on fast.com. 2G is normally 64 or 128 kbps.

Opera mini is a good browser for slow Internet because it uses compression. Set to extreme mode.

If you get 128 kbps you should be able to watch youtube at 144p.

Feedback Score
    That is unusual that AT&T does not have HSPA+ "4G". Have you tried different locations in the house and outside? I only get good signal in one window of the house.

When T-Mobile advertises that they have the nation's fastest LTE network, the unstated premise is that they don't have much of a 2G, 3G, and HSPA/+ network. Trying to run a T-Mo hotspot on less than LTE is bound to be a disappointment unless you just happen to be in an area where their less than LTE is good. Mostly they are not.

This is a small data use speed test to check things:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/simple

Use the 4G button. It just sets the amount of data used, not anything to do with an actual 4G test. It uses 6 MB.

3 Kbps is really bad and you will likely experience timeouts from the data source server.

Maybe save some money for a while and get an inexpensive LTE phone. 2G, 3G, and HSPA/+ are obsolete technology. Nobody is building them out anymore and they won't get better.

I don't think there are any prefundie deals with Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't think there are any prefundie deals with Verizon.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/johal6635/m...p2047675.l2562

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Wir...5MDz:rk:1:pf:0

Just an FYI, that 2G connection did come back around later that evening and I did download a 250MB Windows 7 Cumulative update in 4 hours with it.

Did I mention that a Tmobile 2G connection sucks?

Feedback Score
    Another problem using hotspot with Windows 10 are windows updates. You don't want any windows updates running when you are trying to download something because it will slow your download.

Set the wi-fi to metered on will stop most windows updates.

However, there are other windows updates that can still run so what I do is monitor wi-fi using Task Manager. This will at least show windows is updating something.

Some things you might be able to disable and others you can't. You need to look at them one at a time as you see them.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yup, I'm VERY familiar with Windows 10 as I'm a Windows Insider and was involved with BETA testing from day one until it went RTM. They make it damn near impossible to stop any updates, BUT, I've come up with a system that works for me and it does involve some of what you mentioned in your post. Had to do something because I've got 4 Win 10 systems now and the 4+GB upgrades twice a year are a b*tch!!

But this morning I've got another update problem as this @#^&%$* phone has updated yet again??? Believe it or not that's the 3rd update it's done since I got this Lycamobile SIM activated???

So I guess I'll start another thread on how to STOP UPDATES ON THIS PHONE!!! ALL OF THEM!!!

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    [...]how to STOP UPDATES ON THIS PHONE!!! ALL OF THEM!!!
    Go into the Play Store app. Depending on the version, you should see an icon to bring up the main pop-up menu. It's typically the "hamburger" icon in the top left, composed of three horizontal lines. Scroll down to Settings. Set "Auto-update apps" to "Don't auto-update apps".

On some versions of Android, certain apps (Chrome and Youtube) may still check for updates and occasionally prompt you to allow the update to happen. But they won't actually download and install updates by themselves.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, it's been about 10 days now since I last posted on this so here's an update:

Phone/hotspot has been working OK for a while now, just slow as a snail sometimes. About 50% of my web surfing has been done with that connection, and, I'm seeing speeds ranging from about 15KiB/s to 35KiB/s on a good day. Majority of it though is in the 15 to 20 KiB/s speed range.

I've got about 8 desktop computers here with 4 of those also running Windows 10 along with 4 laptops with one of those running 10. Two of my main desktop puters are "multi-boot", ie, one has 8 bootable hard drives in it and the other has 6. Operating systems on them include Linux Mint, Windows XP x32, Windows XP x64, Windows Vista x64, Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 Pro x64. Oh, and some of those older Windows versions were installed way back in 2009 when I bought the first Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. I've got 3 of those motherboards now and each is running a socket 771 Xeon x5460 Quad CUP with 8 GB DDR2 in'em. Each of the other systems has Linux Mint and Windows 7 on them and one laptop also has Windows 10 Home.

Most of those multiboot systems haven't been fully updated since I lost my $5 Verizon service in late July so over the past 10 days I've finally caught up. Checked my data use on the phone/hotspot last night and since I got this Lycamobile connection up and running over 8GB of data has run through it!! EIGHT GIGABYTES OF DATA IN ABOUT 15 DAYS!! So I guess it's not that slow after all, hey!!

FYI, I did some testing around the house and that phone/hotspot works best in any window on the South side of the house so right now it's mounted with velcro in the window in my shop and there's an electrical connection close enough that I can keep a charger on it all the time.

Ennywho, thought I'd let you guys know how this was going and that I'm planning to buy one of those $8.95 Lycamobile SIMs for my next test, which is about 3$ cheaper than the one I'm using now!

To Be Continued.......................

Feedback Score
    According to download calculator

https://www.download-time.com/

8 GB
    28,8 kbit/s 662:48:12 (27 days).
    56,6 kbit/s 340:52:13 (14 days).

So I think you are getting at least 56,6 kbit/s.

You are getting a lot of GB if you are getting 16 GB a month. On my last plan I was using 12 GB a month. I just got a new unlimited plan so don't know how much I will using on my new plan.

I assume you are getting 2G so I assume you don't have 3G or HSPA in your area.

Your phone has no LTE so that is not an option but likely you would get better speeds if you had LTE assuming they have LTE in your area.

Feedback Score
    Well, it's been about 10 days now since I last posted on this so here's an update:...
    Thanks for the update. Just think how much better it would be with a LTE phone.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys.

RE: LTE.......... well those phones are much higher than what I originally bought and in my defense, I had no idea that neither HSPA nor LTE GSM was available at my location so I bought a $55 phone? I'll probably start looking around for a "good" used CDMA phone after the first of the year. Or, maybe Santa will bring me one, hey!!

Meanwhile, I'm also keeping my eye out on fleabay for an AT&T preloaded SIM to see how that works and I doubt that it will be any worse than Tmobile!! There's a ton SIMs on there for Tmobile MVNOs but AT&T SIMs are a little on the scarce side and none have deals as cheap as Tmobile as well.

To be continued...........................

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast