Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: When is dual sim support coming to the iPhone Xs?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I apologize if the question is stupid but i could not find a straight answer. I have an iPhone Xs and a couple of phones that do not support esim. I like to switch between phones every now and then. If i activate esim in my iPhone, would i be able to use any of my other phone? If yes, how?
    "Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They don't like to have another point of view in the room that they don't squash and the way they try to squash it is by character assassination and name calling."

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmalei View Post
    I apologize if the question is stupid but i could not find a straight answer. I have an iPhone Xs and a couple of phones that do not support esim. I like to switch between phones every now and then. If i activate esim in my iPhone, would i be able to use any of my other phone? If yes, how?
    Not a stupid question. That’s what forums like this are for. The esim is embedded in the phone, so if you like to switch phones then I would stick to your physical SIM card. In terms of service/signal strength etc. there is absolutely no difference between a physical SIM card and the esim. So you’re not missing out on anything. I’m going to be using it but that’s because I travel a lot so I’ll have att my main carrier on the esim and a Verizon SIM card in the tray.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Not a stupid question. That’s what forums like this are for. The esim is embedded in the phone, so if you like to switch phones then I would stick to your physical SIM card. In terms of service/signal strength etc. there is absolutely no difference between a physical SIM card and the esim. So you’re not missing out on anything. I’m going to be using it but that’s because I travel a lot so I’ll have att my main carrier on the esim and a Verizon SIM card in the tray.

Thank you for reply. I guess in the future, once esim is implemented and regular sim eliminated, we will be stuck with one device only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you for reply. I guess in the future, once esim is implemented and regular sim eliminated, we will be stuck with one device only.

They're purposely not making it easy right now but in the future I'm sure the industry will head this way and swapping e-sim will be as easy as swapping physical sims now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well seems esim is finally working on ATT. Went to a Corp store and was in and out in 5 min with esim activated.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score

Hopefully there will be a way to switch between phones via web page. The problem now would be to switch to/from a physical SIM, especially since many carriers don't allow you to reuse a SIM.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    vzw / tmo
    Feedback Score
    So Verizon is a total S**t show

Went to business chat this morning, I explained that I wanted to change from a physical sim to a eSim so that I could add a sim from another carrier into my sim slot, the agent seemed to know what she was doing and sent me a QR code. I found it odd she didn't ask for the Digital IMEI but I said ok. After the chat was over, I tried to scan the QR code and it said "This QR Code is no longer valid"

Went back to chat. Explain the entire thing over again to the agent and agent again, seemed to know what I wanted. He sent me a QR code, I scanned it and it worked!!! Exept when the registration process finished it was a new number that I had never heard of. I kept him on the chat while I went through the process this time asked him about that and well you wanted a second line. I said no, I wanted to use another sim card that has a second line, not for you to add some new line of service to my account with a random phone number. Back and Fourth we went and finally I gave up and said I would call.

Called customer service and expalined in great detail what I wanted to do. This agent seemed to have no clue about esim and put on hold over and over. At one point she comes on and asks me what company's sim I wanted to use in the sim slot, I said T-Mobile. She said can you give me the T-Mobile phone number? I said I can't imagine why you need that but its ******. She proceeds to tell me "I'm going to try and generate an eSIM for that number" at this point I'm just about to exploid. I'm 20+ minutes into this call. I said, excuse me but you can't generate a T-Mobile eSIM any more than you can activate a T-Mobile regular sim. She goes ahead and trys and say's your right, it my system won't generate a eSIM for that number. FML. Back on hold I go. At about 35 minutes the line disconnects.

I call back. Explain everything thats happened so far to the rep and say, I don't know any other way to explain this. I want to do a sim swap, but instead of swapping from physical sim to physical sim, I want to swap from physical sim to a eSIM. She knows EXACTLY what I want and puts me on hold. After a while she comes back and informs me that there is NO way to go from a physical sim to eSIM and that eSIM's are for new activations only, so if I want to use an eSIM I will need to get a new number. I said NO thats not right, if I do that then I loose my current nubmer when I take the verizon physical sim out and I would be left with just the new number and my other carriers number. She insists that thats the only way. I'm going on 20 minutes into this call. I ask for tier 2, of course she'd be happy to transfer me to tier 2 but she can assure me that they are just gong to tell me the same thing. I said we'll I like hearing the same thing over and over so how about transfering me.

Tier 2 rep comes on the line and its obvious that Ms Tier 1 has explained to her what I am wanting to do, she says don't worry we are going to get it working for you. The first couple of QR codes she sends me don't work, we try rebotting and reseting network settings, etc. Its obvious they messed something up when they added that new random number to my account earlier. After she reset several things on her side she finally said she just found out I needed to put my other carriers sim into my XS before scanning the QR code. (I had asked her about that earilier but she said no don't change out the verizon physical sim until i tell you) Once the T-Mobile sim was in the XS - I scanned the QR code and like magic I now have both of my numbers on my phone and don't have to carry 2 phones any more. This rep was really helpful and saved my sanity.

Things I learned:

* Tier 1 support is worthless when it comes to eSIM, ask for tier 2 right off
    * Replace your physical sim before you call
    * Verizon is a s**t show
    * Take your BP meds and Xanax before calling
    * Make sure you have 1 - 3 hours of free time

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I don't know that I would have ever brought up the other SIM, number, etc. Just that you wanted the flexibility to use a second number at some time. The other information probably just confused them.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/...t=360&tstart=0 start on page 22 or so.

cust-005-v4-prod-atl2.gdsb.net

Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  26.6 KB
    Last edited by Cirtess; 12-08-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: more info

Feedback Score
    I did my Xr this morning, but it took 3 tries.

By that I mean first I tried T-Force on Twitter, they pretended to not know what I was talking about. Then called in to 611 and the rep also said "Maybe in January or February", saying his system in Salem, Oregon did not have a way to enter an EID. Finally used the chat from the TMobile app, and got a cheerful rep who was more than glad to help me. It also allowed me to copy/paste the EID, so there weren't any transcription errors. After about 5 minutes I was able to follow the enrollment portion of Cellular Settings, to get it turned on.

Ironically, I'm using 2 of my TM lines in my phone so that I don't exceed the 2Gb limit on either for my KickBack credit per line. I generally use about 3Gb a month streaming music, so for now, my spare line is finally worth something. I can't drop it since it's the one that I ported in from Google Voice to get the discount in the first place.

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirtess View Post
    https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/...t=360&tstart=0 start on page 22 or so.

cust-005-v4-prod-atl2.gdsb.net
    Yup. :-)

I've had my main cellular plan on eSIM for three weeks now.

I started a live conversation in the T-Mobile support site and just asked politely whether somebody had time for a SIM swap. When he asked for the SIM number, I gave him the EID.

He wasn't a moron, so I think he thought I was doing an eSIM and he didn't want to know about it.

He sent the confirmation code, and when I gave him the confirmation code back, my physical SIM went dead within seconds.

Then it was just a matter of using the URL you quoted in your post, and my cellular plan was active within seconds.

I cannot imagine the problems that T-Mobile must be talking about that are delaying the rollout of eSIM support for regular postpaid plans. Mine's been working perfectly since I did it, barring the usual confusions as you switch to be sure that your primary plan is the one doing the data, and voice calls, and then going into Messages and making sure you've done that right.

:-)

I do not believe that T-Mobile are lying when they say they are having issues, because their human services for me have always been excellent, much better than anybody else's.

But I can't imagine what those problems would be, because mine is perfect.

People are going to make dumb mistakes, like calling from the line they're about to move, or forgetting to have WiFi active and connected so that your disconnected iPhone can still talk to the system. And like I said I hear from people all the time who get confused about the iOS settings and the limitations of that (you can't have iMessages on your secondary line).

I'm an XS Max user on iOS 12.1.3 (**032a).

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Looks like Dual SIMs is already supported by iPhone XS per Apple. So it is dependent on the carriers now.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
    Retired Aerospace Engineer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4