Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does an ATT phone receive updates while on Red pocket?

Feedback Score
    I'll tell you which Sims allow at&t updates, TracFone based at&t Sims. Besides at&t proper, I've never had luck with any other.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSSGT View Post
    Samsung S8 SM-950U

Was ATT, now RP and unlocked
    For Samsung phones, you can use Samsung Smart Switch on a PC to apply applicable updates for any carrier.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    For Samsung phones, you can use Samsung Smart Switch on a PC to apply applicable updates for any carrier.
    I was going to say the same thing. I have seen Smart Switch work wonders even with deactivated phones too.

Feedback Score
    I have smart switch, and have my phone connected. it has never found an update in the software area. Is there a search function I don't see?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There was an arrow that drops down, and it would show if there was an update. Not sure if you looked there or not.

Feedback Score
    I have smart switch, and have my phone connected. it has never found an update in the software area. Is there a search function I don't see?
    That is pretty strange.

Normally available updates just show in a pop-up as far as I recall.

S8 has had numerous updates as you know.

Unless it is a Cricket model (there is one) for example.

In case it depends on the sim, I would suggest put in a true AT&T sim (even an inactive one), reboot, and let it adapt if it wants to (can take a few minutes). It should now show a Blue AT&T logo on startup. Then try Smart Switch again. Maybe it will find the updates now.

A key question would be what are the details shown in Settings under Service provider SW ver.

Example: My Sprint model says SPR/SPR/SPR but of course your will have AT&T related names. What exactly does yours show there? This tells a lot.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-20-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Feedback Score
    Mine has: ATT/XAA/ATT

Feedback Score
    Mine has: ATT/XAA/ATT
    OK that sounds good.

Here are some threads that may help:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...-t/td-p/816963
    https://forums.att.com/t5/Android/Sa...e/td-p/5782997
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/att...xy-s8-t3607592

Feedback Score
    OP. Just buy an ATT sim card and put that inside for updates.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    OP. Just buy an ATT sim card and put that inside for updates.
    In my experience, the AT&T SIM card has to be activated in order for OTA updates to be received.

Are you saying that this has changed and the AT&T SIM card being active is no longer required?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    In my experience, the AT&T SIM card has to be activated in order for OTA updates to be received.

Are you saying that this has changed and the AT&T SIM card being active is no longer required?
    In the case of a Samsung phone, it would be sufficient if having an AT&T sim card in the phone leads the Samsung Smart Switch utility to apply the update (as it is normally prepared to do). I think this might be the case even for an inactive AT&T sim, although I am not sure. After all, how would the Samsung utility judge whether the sim is active or not? I think it would be worth a try at least.

Otherwise, if needed, there are instructions on XDA for flashing updates.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE! I found a red pocket Verizon sim. (they used to send out all types of sim with a kit)

Put sim into phone, rebooted, it downloaded the verizon stuff, then told me the sim was not active. Replaced my ATT RP sim, rebooted (showed verizon on face), and told me it was not a verizon sim. I checked the menu, and it had ben changed. Shows "system updates". Opened it up, and it says updates avail. I have done security update 17, 18, 19, and will keep going as long as it will.

My phone shows VZW/XAA/ATT currently.

Up to Jan 19 security update (#22)
    Last edited by USMCSSGT; 11-05-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE! I found a red pocket Verizon sim. (they used to send out all types of sim with a kit)

Put sim into phone, rebooted, it downloaded the verizon stuff, then told me the sim was not active. Replaced my ATT RP sim, rebooted (showed verizon on face), and told me it was not a verizon sim. I checked the menu, and it had ben changed. Shows "system updates". Opened it up, and it says updates avail. I have done security update 17, 18, 19, and will keep going as long as it will.

My phone shows VZN/XAA/ATT currently
    Super!
    You could probably also apply the updates with Smart Switch.
    It appears that the phone does not fully recognize the RP AT&T sim as being an AT&T sim, but does recognize the RP Verizon sim as a Verizon sim. So it is still on the Verizon personality after you put the RP sim back in.
    Eventually you may want to get a real AT&T sim to be able to switch the phone's personality back to the optimal band set and feature set for AT&T.
    Last edited by comintel; 11-05-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    Have downloaded PIE (9). Security updated to Oct 2019.

Still says it is not a Verizon sim (my RP ATT sim is in it)

Has an Icon of a sim with a ? in it.

I can call, and send/receive MMS.

Feedback Score
    Have downloaded PIE (9). Security updated to Oct 2019.

Still says it is not a Verizon sim (my RP ATT sim is in it)

Has an Icon of a sim with a ? in it.

I can call, and send/receive MMS.
    What logo does it show on startup?

The phone can have a Verizon personality and still work "fine" with an AT&T mvno sim (just as a Verizon phone could).

But eventually you may want it to have the full set of AT&T bands and features, not just to be an "unknown" sim "getting by" in an assumed-to-be-Verizon phone. However, the phone may always treat the RP AT&T sim as "unknown" and refuse to enable all AT&T features anyway. So you may prefer to leave it as a "Verizon phone" (in this case a Samsung phone configured by the last carrier-recognizable sim that was inserted, not counting the current unidentifiable, but working, sim) in order to get updates. Hopefully eventually RP will give you an AT&T sim that the phone is able to recognize as being AT&T and so enable all AT&T features.

But in any case that's great that you are good for now with PIE and all the updates!
    Last edited by comintel; 11-05-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast