Thread: Account expired with $185 balance left

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Account expired with $185 balance left

Hello everyone. I suddenly lost lte internet today with phone calls and text still working. Decided to check my verizon prepaid balance and it says I still have 6gb of data left, however when I check my balance it says I have a zero balance and that my $185 that was previously in there expired. I was under the impression that balances do not expire when they are in your account.

I'm currently on the $40/3gb prepaid plan and had loaded up my account with the $24 sim kit that had a $45 value. I'm not very happy right now and plan to call Verizon tomorrow but need to know if balances are supposed to expire like this. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    They expire after 90 days from loaded If $100 single payment loaded then its good for 365 days.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I would call or chat with a VZW CSR asap to get your balance back. Plead ignorance.........since it's true.

https://howardforums.com/showthread....2#post17008592

Note: The table listed in the URL above is for a single purchase or payment. In other words, you can't buy 3 $40 cards at the same time and think that qualifies as a $100+ purchase and assume you have a 1-year expiration date. It's the refill card or payment amount/denomination that matters.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnanderson View Post
    Hello everyone. I suddenly lost lte internet today with phone calls and text still working. Decided to check my verizon prepaid balance and it says I still have 6gb of data left, however when I check my balance it says I have a zero balance and that my $185 that was previously in there expired. I was under the impression that balances do not expire when they are in your account.

I'm currently on the $40/3gb prepaid plan and had loaded up my account with the $24 sim kit that had a $45 value. I'm not very happy right now and plan to call Verizon tomorrow but need to know if balances are supposed to expire like this. Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks.
    They should give you one free pass and add your balance back

This is what happened to me a few years ago when I had several hundred dollars expire. They said they would reinstate the balance this one time. So since then I keep track of my balance and make sure I add more to my balance within the ninety days of expiration. Especially since I had over $500 in my prepaid account earlier this year.

Of course it doesn't help that they removed the balance expiration date from the app and the online access. And the only reason possible for Verizon removing it is so that more people would lose their money when the balance expires. Allowing verizon to keep it. Making them more money.

But over all I am fine with it since I can get the refill pins for 20 to 30% off, And I pay much less on prepaid unlimited than I would be paying on unlimited post paid.

Feedback Score
    Yes, call them. They can't just steal your money, and they won't if you complain.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Technically the Terms of Service indicate they can take away the balance under certain circumstances. However, as mentioned, they may restore the balance as a one term courtesy but are not necessarily obligated to do so. There is no stealing of money.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibladuell View Post
    They expire after 90 days from loaded If $100 single payment loaded then its good for 365 days.
    My grandma still has her old prepaid plan that does rollover if you put any card that is $30 or more. The plan is even 10 cents per minute, but for the first minute, that is 25 cents. If I remember right, this plan is from 2003 or 2004 time period because I use to have this same plan. My grandma does not want to get rid of it for some reason.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wow, I am glad I saw this thread. I had no idea that these balances expired. I’ve been loading up on eBay refill cards. I have a family plan with five lines so I have $140 coming out every month so thankfully my balance should come down quickly but I am glad I saw this when I did.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand why your balance should expire, other than Verizon being greedy?

I mean, if you have pre-paid Verizon, they already have your money, why do they make it expire? It makes no sense to me. I would think your account would expire if you didn't pay them for a certain period of time, but expire your account and prepaid balance when you have credit in your account, it makes no sense!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I don't understand why your balance should expire, other than Verizon being greedy?

I mean, if you have pre-paid Verizon, they already have your money, why do they make it expire? It makes no sense to me. I would think your account would expire if you didn't pay them for a certain period of time, but expire your account and prepaid balance when you have credit in your account, it makes no sense!
    As stated earlier, it is in the Terms and Conditions of service. Feel free to call it greed if you want but it is clearly stipulated. Makes perfect sense !

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post

I have to agree I really don’t understand why the funds expire. As long as the account stays active the funds shouldn’t expire in my opinion.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The funds expire because the Terms of Service say they do. It’s a simple as that. One doesn’t have to like it, but there it is.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    The funds expire because the Terms of Service say they do. It’s a simple as that. One doesn’t have to like it, but there it is.
    We realize that the TOS states they expire but that doesn’t mean someone can’t question it. I realize there are certain people who will defend VZ no matter what but I am just asking the question as to why this would be in the TOS. I am curious if there is reasoning behind it.

Feedback Score
    This is the same nonsense that lead to gift cards being regulated. To bad the language wasnt expanded to include this situation. Corporate greed matched with nonsensical policies.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0182-gift-cards