Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon shutting down CDMA early?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    So I was just curious as to what 3G speeds are in an area I visit often. I shut off LTE all together and I’m surprised to not pick up a signal. I toggled airplane mode on and then back off. Restarted my iPhone. Still no service. Anyone noticing no 3G or 1x in their area?
    Still getting 1x and EVDO in Los Angeles, CA on my BB KeyOne.
    All I need to do is manually set it to 1x or EVDO.

Even though I still get 1x and EVDO I decided to transition our IoT devices at my office off of the Verizon CDMA network for LTE.

No sense in keeping hardware for an obsolete network or for a network for which there won't be any support for in the future. I know what my Verizon Business rep is going to say if I need help or assistance from their engineers or specialized team members if they find out my IoT devices are still using their CDMA network. Might as well not waste my time (or theirs) with the obvious answer.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I live and work in one of Verizon's premier LTE areas. I remember being invited to their luncheon party (hay, I don't turn down a free lunch. ) the day they turned 'on' LTE.

Anyway, regardless of what Verizon claims, the coverage is like swiss cheese. Good solid service in most places, but still a few pronounced holes here and there.

I was pretty use to having 3 or 4 bars of LTE, and then noticing my phone briefly falling back to 3G as I fell into a hole. Now, I noticed that instead of falling back to 3G, I am briefly getting simply "no service". Verizon if you are listening, "no service" is not an improvement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    I live and work in one of Verizon's premier LTE areas. I remember being invited to their luncheon party (hay, I don't turn down a free lunch. ) the day they turned 'on' LTE.

Anyway, regardless of what Verizon claims, the coverage is like swiss cheese. Good solid service in most places, but still a few pronounced holes here and there.

I was pretty use to having 3 or 4 bars of LTE, and then noticing my phone briefly falling back to 3G as I fell into a hole. Now, I noticed that instead of falling back to 3G, I am briefly getting simply "no service". Verizon if you are listening, "no service" is not an improvement.
    yes they want you to be mad and have you leave. You've discovered their secret business plan. I'm not sue why people don't get that when CDMA is shut down that 1x spectrum will be lit up for band 5 and any remaining PCS spectrum will be lit up for band 2. Can't wait for 436 days to go by so finally all these chicken little sky is falling posts can go away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    yes they want you to be mad and have you leave. You've discovered their secret business plan. I'm not sue why people don't get that when CDMA is shut down that 1x spectrum will be lit up for band 5 and any remaining PCS spectrum will be lit up for band 2. Can't wait for 436 days to go by so finally all these chicken little sky is falling posts can go away.
    Verizon is old news now. Better options out there now

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    What better options are you referring to exactly? I'm not saying that other carriers haven't improved, but Verizon still wins out in the majority of markets. So what "better" options exist and what is your definition of "better" exactly? Cheaper isn't synonymous with better.

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/content...t-half-of-2018

Feedback Score
    Depends on where you are and what you consider to be better.

Verizon is the only carrier with signal inside my house. AT&T and Sprint only work right at a window. T-Mo is completely absent.

Verizon remains a premier network for the most coverage in the most places on average. AT&T is a close second. All of the Big-4 work well in many places.

Feedback Score
    So for those of us who use Verizon specifically BECAUSE we don't live in a city, what is this going to mean for coverage? I still use a dual band (800, 1900mhz) booster for CDMA and I'm on the road a lot on the west (which is Verizon country. AT&T is a joke). I'll miss my 2006 vx8300 (out-lived every other phone I've used)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    What better options are you referring to exactly? I'm not saying that other carriers haven't improved, but Verizon still wins out in the majority of markets. So what "better" options exist and what is your definition of "better" exactly? Cheaper isn't synonymous with better.

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/content...t-half-of-2018
    What I meant was there are better options than Verizon postpaid or some of the high prices on certain plans. Verizon prepaid seems pretty competitive now and there are some mvnos for people that want the Verizon network but can't pay or don't want to pay a lot.

The other carriers have gotten better for sure so that may be an option some may not have realized. I think TMobile service is leaps and bounds better than it used to be and even some rural spots are getting tlc.

Verizon does seem to have an advantage in rural spots overall but the Verizon network can be had for cheaper than postpaid in many situations

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ballo View Post
    ..... I'm on the road a lot on the west (which is Verizon country. AT&T is a joke).....
    You may find that, with the advent of FirstNet, AT&T becomes less of a joke. Not sure if LTE's range for voice and text services will ever be the equal of CDMA's. Of course, a lot of what's wrong has to do with the dinky little antennaless handsets. If we still had "car phones", @ 3W with roof-mount antennas, the uplink would be a lot more robust.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    What I meant was there are better options than Verizon postpaid or some of the high prices on certain plans. Verizon prepaid seems pretty competitive now and there are some mvnos for people that want the Verizon network but can't pay or don't want to pay a lot.

The other carriers have gotten better for sure so that may be an option some may not have realized. I think TMobile service is leaps and bounds better than it used to be and even some rural spots are getting tlc.

Verizon does seem to have an advantage in rural spots overall but the Verizon network can be had for cheaper than postpaid in many situations
    Yeah, I think I said here that I want Vz for signal inside the house. I don't need it bad enough to pay for Vz postpaid. My call, text and data use is very low. I have Vz with Tracfone for ~50 cents a month. That was a special deal that is no longer available. Otherwise it is about $5 a month.

All but T-Mo work pretty well around here, except inside the house.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yes, sticking your head in the sand, and pretending that none of this is true, is really the better strategy. Good luck, you'll need it.

Feedback Score
    If Verizon loses rural coverage I'll drop them like a hot potato. It's literally the only reason I bother with their ****** service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You may find that, with the advent of FirstNet, AT&T becomes less of a joke. Not sure if LTE's range for voice and text services will ever be the equal of CDMA's. Of course, a lot of what's wrong has to do with the dinky little antennaless handsets. If we still had "car phones", @ 3W with roof-mount antennas, the uplink would be a lot more robust.
    Yeah AT&T has a very nice lowband package when it comes to their B12, B14, B5, and B29 holdings. It gives them some nice ability to farm a chunk for 5G-NR and leave a good bit of downlink spectrum for LTE.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Yeah AT&T has a very nice lowband package when it comes to their B12, B14, B5, and B29 holdings. It gives them some nice ability to farm a chunk for 5G-NR and leave a good bit of downlink spectrum for LTE.
    Not that but rather that the government is paying them to extend their network into rural areas and will hold them responsible, in ways that Joe Consumer can't, for dead zones. Also, when AT&T goes to a NIMBY local zoning board and says, "We need this tower because we have this Federal contract to provide service to first responders.." it sort has a way of making them be not such NIMBYs.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Honestly that has no real impact as the E911 argument has been used to death to deal with tough municipalities with mixed results. From what we've had to deal with at work FirstNet doesn't phase anyone. Upgrades are one thing but building a new tower is still just as difficult and the task of getting it approved is with AT&T and whomever they choose to make their arguments for them.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast