Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon shutting down CDMA early?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    What phone are you using? Sounds outdated and/or broken.

I don't know anyone who still uses CDMA for voice and I have dozens of family/friends on Verizon. All have been using LTE for voice for the past 2 years or more. VoLTE was spotty at first but has been great for 2+ years. I previously lived in one of the worst markets for cell reception in the U.S. (Colorado Springs) and even there VoLTE worked fine starting about 2 years ago (it was a bit rocky before that however).
    I have to agree that VoLTE is flawless for me, even on mu iPhone 6+, when I owned it, when VoLTE was first introduced to Apple devices. Definitely performs better in low signal areas whereas CDMA struggled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How often do you guys see 1x/3G on your phone(s)!?
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The sooner the better. If you go through a marginal signal area where the phone drops to 3g, it may be several minutes before the phone goes back to LTE even though 5 bar LTE signal exists. Aaaarrrgh!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Rarely, unless I force it.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Only in an underground parking garage. Other than that, literally never.

It has probably been 2 years since I saw my phone on 3G/1x except when I'm in the underground garage or within 30 seconds of exiting the garage. I travel a decent amount around various parts of the U.S. for work (1-2 trips per month) and I haven't seen anything but LTE for quite awhile. As far as I'm concerned, they can shut down CDMA tomorrow and I'd be happy.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    I have to agree that VoLTE is flawless for me, even on mu iPhone 6+, when I owned it, when VoLTE was first introduced to Apple devices. Definitely performs better in low signal areas whereas CDMA struggled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I totally agree. Since it first came out in 2014 VoLTE call quality and reliability has only gotten better. As Verizon puts out more LTE only macrocells, microcells, and picocells, and increased backhaul capacity, and as more customers get compatible phones, it’ll further entice Verizon to keep going, maybe even making improvements like Full HD Voice or EVS.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Usually in remote areas or building with bad reception. I guess the lower bands are 1x/3G so you get that when out of range of LTE and that happens occasionally. Last weekend I was in a park that had no LTE so it was 3G only until I got to the entrance closer to the city. Also when I go into the parking garage at work I get bumped down to 3G or 1x and my phone can stay in 3G for a while when I get out (which is annoying.)

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    Also when I go into the parking garage at work I get bumped down to 3G or 1x and my phone can stay in 3G for a while when I get out (which is annoying.)
    I believe this is more of an issue with iPhones. I am a long time iPhone user (since the beginning), but my friends with Samsung/Androids have indicated that their phones return to LTE more quickly. I don't think iPhones have ever been aggressive enough at looking for "better options" when it comes to finding better bands/towers.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What phone are you using? Sounds outdated and/or broken.
    I use an iphone 6S with the latest IOS. Friends, etc in the same locale, using different phones also report dropped calls and weak LTE/VoLTE signal in the area, as well as other areas while traveling. So no, I don't think it is my phone.

And I see 3G fairly frequently when traveling, sometimes even just 1x... admittedly mostly in rural areas, but they need service too... LTE building penetration seems a lot worse than CDMA -- perhaps a 850 vs 1900 issue, but nevertheless...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I use an iphone 6S with the latest IOS. Friends, etc in the same locale, using different phones also report dropped calls and weak LTE/VoLTE signal in the area, as well as other areas while traveling. So no, I don't think it is my phone.

And I see 3G fairly frequently when traveling, sometimes even just 1x... admittedly mostly in rural areas, but they need service too... LTE building penetration seems a lot worse than CDMA -- perhaps a 850 vs 1900 issue, but nevertheless...
    1x is 850 3G is 1900

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

Find out what the Carrier Version and PRL version you and your friends are using. I’m hearing talk of an update coming from Verizon to address this.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Find out what the Carrier Version and PRL version you and your friends are using. I’m hearing talk of an update coming from Verizon to address this.
    I heard the same from people at Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I meant built. They have not built a site with CDMA in years. All new builds since probably 2014 or so have been LTE only. No CDMA. I’d be willing to wager 25% of their macros lack CDMA.

Sent from my iPhone Xs using HoFo
    If anybody knows anything newer feel free to chime in but the last CDMA expansion that I remember Verizon doing was at the end of 2013 / beginning of 2014. This was in central Wisconsin and was caused by element mobile the company that ended up getting the legacy ALLTEL spectrum in the area deciding to give up and sell to AT&T. Through the majority of that area LTE and CDMA were brought online at the same time.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is Verizon shutting down CDMA early?

We have been through the deprecation of technologies before: AMPS, IS-136/TDMA, 2G GSM, iDEN. The soon to be deprecated technology is always allowed to deteriorate before the hard shut off.

Sometimes after the shut off, areas that had coverage on a carrier will no longer be covered by the newer technology only.

Older devices will need to be retired. Next year, VZW will have a notification program and some deals to encourage customers to switch to newer devices so they still have service.

This all becomes more complicated, though, as there are more mobile internet connected devices. It's not completely new - we've had cars with built-in cellular (e.g. onstar) for a while, but the scale is now much bigger, and will continue to grow. My CPAP also has a CDMA modem. Not sure whether it uses Verizon, Sprint, both... Eventually that will stop working.
    Last edited by mch; 10-14-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I believe this is more of an issue with iPhones. I am a long time iPhone user (since the beginning), but my friends with Samsung/Androids have indicated that their phones return to LTE more quickly. I don't think iPhones have ever been aggressive enough at looking for "better options" when it comes to finding better bands/towers.
    I can agree. I’ve had this issue for years. Replacing the device doesn’t do a thing. I’m surprised it hasn’t been addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast