Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Roaming And VoLTE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    You know, I'm beginning to wonder if US Cellular actually owns the Band 12 in Vermont. TMO's coverage map always showed VT as native (not partner), and when I have received TMO signal in VT, the MCC-MNC was 310-260.

I suspect USCC hasn't added Band 12 to their more remote towers because they don't own it, and TMO is not paying to use those towers. We may not see TMO coverage as good as USCC's until USCC has Band 5 VoLTE everywhere. The Band 12 signal at Stratton is probably just a TMO small cell at the Village.
    My phone said us cellular

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    You have to go up to the village. At the golf course, literally across the street, nothing. In the village, I was roaming on us cellular and my wife's phone was too.

USC has Band 12 in Vermont. I can confirm that it's live throughout Brattleboro, Wilmington, Dover and on the tower at Hogback. They don't have Band 12 for northern Vermont however. (or anything really) Also I91 corridor has Band 12 enabled on it too at least to up to Rockingham.

What doesn't appear to be turned on is VoLTE yet sadly. (especially for Google Fi and Tmobile users because then coverage gets WAY better in Vermont and Western NH)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    My phone said us cellular

Your phone was lying. I was there last weekend and confirmed the PCI for the tower is the same as the T-Mobile tower in Londonderry Vt. the entire time. (when google fi didn't flip to USC itself because T-Mobile and sprint are mostly unusable there) USC's PCI numbering does not overlap as they've clearly been coordinating PCIs with Tmobile in Vermont and Western NH and renumbered some recently.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Your phone was lying. I was there last weekend and confirmed the PCI for the tower is the same as the T-Mobile tower in Londonderry Vt. the entire time. (when google fi didn't flip to USC itself because T-Mobile and sprint are mostly unusable there) USC's PCI numbering does not overlap as they've clearly been coordinating PCIs with Tmobile in Vermont and Western NH and renumbered some recently.
    I doubt that. Keep in mind that was almost 2 months ago. The phone isn't going to lie.

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, s9+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Next time I am through there I am going to have to have NSG running on a Tmo and USCC (aka Fi) device to see whats up. USCC has been running B12 throughout NH and I am sure I have seen it in SVT (although maybe not there).

The exception is where I live (MHT/ASH), where USCC, amazingly, only has B5. One would have thought they would have been more aggressive bidding the 700 and 600 auctions, but nope. They finally expanded B5 LTE on more towers around me. They really really really need to get VoLTE running here, their largest market in NE, with the least spectrum. I will yell when I see it.
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Next time I am through there I am going to have to have NSG running on a Tmo and USCC (aka Fi) device to see whats up. USCC has been running B12 throughout NH and I am sure I have seen it in SVT (although maybe not there).

The exception is where I live (MHT/ASH), where USCC, amazingly, only has B5. One would have thought they would have been more aggressive bidding the 700 and 600 auctions, but nope. They finally expanded B5 LTE on more towers around me. They really really really need to get VoLTE running here, their largest market in NE, with the least spectrum. I will yell when I see it.
    B12 is on using 2.5 MHz so that they can mesh (about 4Mbps down) for essentially all of southern Vermont and Western NH. It routinely swaps to B5 in areas where they have 3 way mesh which typically drops it to about 3Mbps down because the rest of B5 is running 2 and 3g.

What's not turned on yet is VoLTE. I'm wondering if this is because B2 isn't turned on yet and they don't have capacity on B12 and B5 because they have such a small slice.

T-Mobile is doing bizzare things with their B12. They're basically putting it on a single tower at the full 5-6mhz they have and then not putting it on any overlapping towers. So it has filled in holes where it's turned on but then right down the road you'll have dead spots where you get nothing because they need low band to fill in in. I'd guess they're waiting for B71 to become available next fall and just fix it that way...

You can see this in Chesterfield NH perfectly. From I91 on rt 9 to Stage Rd. you get B12 from Dummerston Vt. Then you get nothing for a mile and then you get Band 2 off of the tower east of lake Spofford. Then you get nothing in the dip before Keene and then you get Band 12 in Keene itself.

Same in Brattleboro. No B12 anywhere because it would overlap with the Dummerston tower so coverage is horrible on B2 with lots of dead spots and dropped calls as it roams on US Cellular's GSM support which is a hard hand off when it actually bothers to do it.

Guess they were forced to do this because of VoLTE and bandwidth requirements or something but it's pretty dumb making their network really flaky and basically unusable without US Cellular VoLTE roaming enabled (which isn't anywhere that I've been in VT or NH and I've been to every ski resort south of I89 and west of Rt 3 this year and there is nowhere in Vt or NH that US Cellular's coverage map shows enhanced calling available yet.)

Worse, Pixel phones on Fi aren't certified to use US Cellular's VoLTE anyhow so even in Iowa where they've turned on VoLTE Pixel phones on Fi can't use it.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is doing bizzare things with their B12. They're basically putting it on a single tower at the full 5-6mhz they have and then not putting it on any overlapping towers. ........
    This is part of T-Mobile's "Built for unlimited" design philosophy: Deploy all your spectrum, maximize LTE capacity, minimize cell overlap. This means T-Mobile frequently has weak (dead) spots at the midpoints between towers.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This is part of T-Mobile's "Built for unlimited" design philosophy: Deploy all your spectrum, maximize LTE capacity, minimize cell overlap. This means T-Mobile frequently has weak (dead) spots at the midpoints between towers.
    That would be fine in cities but it's seriously stupid for rural areas. T-Mobile is basically unusable as a result.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    That would be fine in cities but it's seriously stupid for rural areas. T-Mobile is basically unusable as a result.
    There has been an ongoing discussion about T-Mobile's issues with rural coverage on the T-Mobile forum.

Feedback Score
    To the folks in WV using USCC, when you roam, are you roaming mostly on Verizon?

@Weatheronthe8s, if you should go to Winchester, VA, or in that area, are you roaming or on native USCC?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (US Cellular), 10.5 inch iPad Pro (Sprint)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    To the folks in WV using USCC, when you roam, are you roaming mostly on Verizon?

@Weatheronthe8s, if you should go to Winchester, VA, or in that area, are you roaming or on native USCC?
    In WV I primarily roam on Verizon for CDMA. If Verizon CDMA is not available, I switch to Sprint CDMA. The Sprint roaming happens more often than you'd think. I get no Verizon LTE. I get T-Mobile(in what parts of the state it works) primarily for LTE. And if T-Mobile is not available, it switches to Sprint LTE. Keep in mind that on most(if not all) USCC Android phones, the only Sprint band you can access is band 25. This causes me to lose LTE when roaming pretty often. Bands 26 and 41 seem to be reserved for iPhones where you can’t restrict the bands. While I’ve never been to Winchester in my memory, USCC appears to be roaming there according to the coverage map.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatheronthe8s View Post
    In WV I primarily roam on Verizon for CDMA. If Verizon CDMA is not available, I switch to Sprint CDMA. The Sprint roaming happens more often than you'd think. I get no Verizon LTE. I get T-Mobile(in what parts of the state it works) primarily for LTE. And if T-Mobile is not available, it switches to Sprint LTE. Keep in mind that on most(if not all) USCC Android phones, the only Sprint band you can access is band 25. This causes me to lose LTE when roaming pretty often. Bands 26 and 41 seem to be reserved for iPhones where you can’t restrict the bands. While I’ve never been to Winchester in my memory, USCC appears to be roaming there according to the coverage map.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo
    So then, when Verizon shuts down CDMA, you'll be roaming on Sprint? And that won't be too terrible since Shentel headquarters is there in Edinburg, VA and they pretty much control all of the Sprint along I-81. I realize that Beckley is a ways off of I-81, but Shentel/Sprint has a presence there. If T-Mobile buys Sprint, then that should be good for you.

It's all these other places where Verizon roams on USCC that I'm thinking about.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    So then, when Verizon shuts down CDMA, you'll be roaming on Sprint? And that won't be too terrible since Shentel headquarters is there in Edinburg, VA and they pretty much control all of the Sprint along I-81. I realize that Beckley is a ways off of I-81, but Shentel/Sprint has a presence there. If T-Mobile buys Sprint, then that should be good for you.

It's all these other places where Verizon roams on USCC that I'm thinking about.
    Yeah. All of my CDMA roaming will be from Sprint. It won't impact this area nearly as much as it will others. Verizon has very few places in WV where they work and Sprint doesn't. Any area where Sprint used to be nTelos is run by Shentel. It seems like the Shentel run markets have some of the better coverage areas for Sprint. My market is run by Shentel and the coverage here from Sprint is better than Verizon in most parts of town in my experience. I am not sure of my position of the merger. T-Mobile doesn't even exist here though so I won't technically be losing competition. Now there are a lot of places around here that Verizon roams on USCC 1x due to their lack of coverage when you get too far from major roads. It seems to be better in the parts of WV where USCC doesn't exist since they have the 800 MHz spectrum in those parts. They work okay here in Beckley. But get too far away from the interstate, route 19, and town and it goes downhill from there. Alot of these smaller towns outside of Beckley that are away from the major roads lack Verizon coverage. I think they may be trying to start to improve though but I'm not sure. To my knowledge they still only have band 13 for LTE here so that's something. The only other thing I think they have is band 2 and they keep all that on CDMA which pretty much explains why they haven't bothered with coverage too much outside of town. USCC getting that 800 license they would've used seemed to really hurt them. The whole eastern side of this state has kinda spotty Verizon coverage(especially on CDMA) away from the roads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    What about roaming with other carriers like AT&T or Verizon?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    What about roaming with other carriers like AT&T or Verizon?
    You can get Verizon CDMA for now. In some parts of the country(such as where I live), it's even the primary roaming carrier before Sprint. When its shut down though I'm not sure what will happen then. I don't think USCC has any agreements for Verizon LTE. To my knowledge they have no roaming agreements at all with AT&T.

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast