Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: T-Mobile's John Legere Roasts Verizon's 5G Home Service Launch

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Probably never. Going straight from the content providers to us would require too many separate accounts and payments. The content providers are probably not even interested in individual user accounts.

Unfortunately, we need the aggregators to bundle packages of "channels". Hopefully, some improvement will come in a way that we can select, a la carte, the channels we want. I have about 200 channels on my cable. I watch about 10. Then I have Amazon Prime Video or Netflix and get some things from YouTube. Some of them I get through my Roku.

Something like the Roku model would be great with a selection of free channels with ads and add only the paid channels that I want. I would still want the ability to stream to any device and not be missing any key channels.

I don't do it often, but I really like being able to stream my local news at hotels when I travel.

Things started improving a few years ago when the cable company started steam all your channels to any device at home and and some "Go" channels anywhere. Now if we could divorce this from being tied to a cable company, at a more reasonable price, that would be awesome.

It is still too much of a hit-and-miss hodgepodge. It has gotten better. It will continue to get better.
    I watch Fox and ABC from "the individual content providers", as my bundle-aggregator refuses to carry them. The DC Comics and Marvel packages look tempting. HBO is successful with its subscriptions that go direct to customers... so I think this is a growing trend.

The problem with the "aggregators of bundle packages" is that they force you to buy 30 junk channels for every channel you actually want to watch. I disagree with the idea that "we need" this.

It's just like if you went to McDonalds to get a combo meal, and every combo meal came with 53 extra hamburgers, 18 more bags of fries. 23 extra milkshakes, and a price to match. When you just wanted a cheeseburger, fries, and coke.

As for "but I really like being able to stream my local news at hotels when I travel.", I don't know how to do anything like this other than these two options:

1) "cheat" with Kodi.
    2) set up a webcam in front of the TV at your house, which is showing your favorite channel. Leave the TV on when you travel, and connect to the webcam.
    "There is never a need to bash people with disabilities, or racial groups, or ethnic groups, or engage in any other sort of bigoted attacks in Howard Forums. Refrain from doing so not just to keep moderators happy, but in order to be a decent human being."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    ...The problem with the "aggregators of bundle packages" is that they force you to buy 30 junk channels for every channel you actually want to watch. I disagree with the idea that "we need" this.
    I don't think we are going to get away from the content aggregators any time soon. I'm just hoping for something like the Roku model that allows to select only the wanted channels to pay for, with some being free with ads.

[/QUOTE]As for "but I really like being able to stream my local news at hotels when I travel.", I don't know how to do anything like this other than these two options:

1) "cheat" with Kodi.
    2) set up a webcam in front of the TV at your house, which is showing your favorite channel. Leave the TV on when you travel, and connect to the webcam.[/QUOTE]

My local TV news station has their own app that allows streaming. While I still have cable, they have "Contour" that allows streaming all channels at home on their Internet, and a subset anywhere on any Internet provider. I have used the Fox News and Fox Business apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    As for "but I really like being able to stream my local news at hotels when I travel.", I don't know how to do anything like this other than these two options:

1) "cheat" with Kodi.
    2) set up a webcam in front of the TV at your house, which is showing your favorite channel. Leave the TV on when you travel, and connect to the webcam.
    #2 is of course a low-tech way of doing it. A slingbox should allow you to watch your local channels while on the road (and to switch between them as well.)

If you're trying to watch over the air channels on the road, I would suggest a slingbox model with a built-in tuner. Here's what you need if interested:

http://www.slingbox.com/en-US/Suppor...B-1000108.aspx

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    He can say that all he wants. He is forgetting his network still doesn't cover what VZW does, so there is that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Good article about 5G, T-Mobile, and Verizon here: https://bgr.com/2018/01/18/t-mobile-...pe-tests-2019/

T-Mobile says that they'll have 5G in 2020.
    “It's best not to argue with people who are determined to lose. Once you've told them about a superior alternative, your responsibility is fulfilled and you can allow them to lose in peace.” Mark Crispin, inventor of the iMAP e-mail protocol.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Good article about 5G, T-Mobile, and Verizon here: https://bgr.com/2018/01/18/t-mobile-...pe-tests-2019/

LOL... You didn't read your own link very well... T-Mobile's CFO Neville Ray said;

" Ray reiterated that T-Mobile will launch “nationwide” 5G by 2020, with the first piece of the puzzle being 5G on its 600MHz spectrum in 2019."

In other words T-Mobile will have 5G in 2019 on mobile but will add 5G Coast to Coast in 2020. So T-Mobile will have the 5G Coverage Nationwide in 2020. Let's see how fast Verizon can build out all those mmWave towers at 900 feet wide by the end of 2020.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LOL... You didn't read your own link very well... T-Mobile's CFO Neville Ray said;

" Ray reiterated that T-Mobile will launch “nationwide” 5G by 2020, with the first piece of the puzzle being 5G on its 600MHz spectrum in 2019."

In other words T-Mobile will have 5G in 2019 on mobile but will add 5G Coast to Coast in 2020. So T-Mobile will have the 5G Coverage Nationwide in 2020. Let's see how fast Verizon can build out all those mmWave towers at 900 feet wide by the end of 2020.
    Vzw has tested that and found it when farther than expected

Feedback Score

T-Mobile's John Legere Roasts Verizon's 5G Home Service Launch

Ya, but still not ideal for coverage in rural American
    Also, Concerns:
    Based upon Pre-#5G specifications
    Appears to be deployed for marketing purposes – “first to 5G”
    Overhyped given very limited footprint of what may be just handfuls of neighborhoods...

Cocerns:
    - Inability to determine prior to truck roll whether it will work at each location
    - May require more line of sight than claimed
    - Requires “oven-mitt” sized antenna on outside of house and drilling to interior
    Verizon is not telling the entire story
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

No, here's what it says:

Verizon:

" when the standard becomes available, we will launch fixed and mobile 5G when available, starting in 2019,” Verizon Chief Technology Architect Ed Chan told me.

T-Mobile:

"with the first piece of the puzzle being 5G on its 600MHz spectrum in 2019"

2019, the same year for both.

Yet earlier you stated that T-Mobile would be:

a year or two late to 5G
    When pressed for a source, you come up with a 10 month old article and then you completely misrepresent what it says.

And you're the one who said:

Finally, I must say, it’s unhelpful to see the fact-free responses
    So the question is, when are you going to stop posting such fact-free responses?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Maybe in an Lab or a ideal area with no building, trees, hills when it isn't raining or snowing. Verizon may deploy mmWave in very populated areas but you aren't going to see Verizon building out a Nationwide 5G on mmWave spectrum for many many years. Don't know why Verizon just doesn't buy DISH Networks or buy a lot of 600 Mhz spectrum if they really want to build a Nationwide network with 5G NR.

Device(s)
    Kyocera DuraXT (voice) - Motorola G4 (data)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    They are going after wired business services in AT&T areas and they are packaging smart city services to municipalities. The fixed 5G targets AT&T, Comcast and Charter but the small cells & backhaul will already be in place in some metro areas when 5G wireless is rolled out.

The Verizon 'One Fiber' initiative, which is the backbone of these rollouts, is being installed in 50 metro areas outside of Verizon's ILEC footprint. The main fiber trunks they are installing have 1,700 fibers in them. They committed to purchasing nearly 40 million miles of fiber to support this.

600mhz doesn't have the capacity or low latency required for fixed 5G to compete against cable for residential services. It'll certainly be a part of a mix for 5G wireless when the time comes though imo the use case for 800GB download speeds on a mobile device are limited at best.

When 5G standards are finalized it'll just be a software update for the existing Verizon equipment on their fixed product.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    ...600mhz doesn't have the capacity or low latency required for fixed 5G to compete against cable for residential services. It'll certainly be a part of a mix for 5G wireless when the time comes though imo the use case for 800GB download speeds on a mobile device are limited at best....
    Last time I checked, ALL electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light regardless of the frequency. 600 MHz RF has the same latency as 28 GHz through the air.

There is very little need for Gbps data speed on mobile devices or for fixed location services as of now. I get by just fine with 15 Mbps cable. I had 5 Mbps until a few years ago. That was just fine too. A house full of video streamers and gamers will need more than 15 Mbps, but Gbps will still not be of any practical use. It would just be idle most of the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Maybe in an Lab or a ideal area with no building, trees, hills when it isn't raining or snowing. Verizon may deploy mmWave in very populated areas but you aren't going to see Verizon building out a Nationwide 5G on mmWave spectrum for many many years. Don't know why Verizon just doesn't buy DISH Networks or buy a lot of 600 Mhz spectrum if they really want to build a Nationwide network with 5G NR.
    Verizon field tested their 28 GHz service for months in the field in multiple representative locations. They know what will work well with obstructions and weather and will only offer it where it will work well. They will not offer service where the quality would be poor. Small cells, a lot of them, get around a lot of the propagation problems. Verizon knows how to do small cells. The same limitations will apply to any carrier offering mm-Wave service.

Nobody is going to build a nationwide mm-Wave network. The cost is prohibitive. Verizon IS going to need some low and mid-band spectrum to build a nationwide 5G network to operate in parallel with LTE for years before LTE is phased out.

T-Mo, if they are allowed to buy Sprint and their spectrum, will have an advantage for building a nationwide 5G network.

They are all playing with the cards they were dealt. Verizon will need to draw and acquire some spectrum for nationwide mobile 5G. The chances of them sitting idly by feeling poor me are about nil.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14