Thread: In favor of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

In favor of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger

Nation’s largest MVNO comes out in support of Sprint/T-Mobile merger
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-mobile-merger

As I've mentioned before, AT&T and Verizon compete with each other. T-Mobile and Sprint try, but aren't effective in many areas. This could result in 3 equal competitors.

“While today’s wholesale market for MVNOs is generally competitive, the existing four nationwide MNO’s from which TracFone can purchase network capacity are not equivalent alternatives in all markets. In rural areas, T-Mobile and Sprint historically have not offered sufficient coverage and/or speeds in these geographic pockets of the United States,”

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sound like Carlos Slim is ready to buy a lot of T-Mobile stock...

"“With the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint, and the resulting more rapid deployment of a nationwide 5G network with broader coverage, greater capacity, higher throughput and lower latency, the wholesale market place will be more competitive with three full service competitors, rather than two. The increase in competition should have the greatest effect in rural areas. The resulting excess capacity would be available for MVNOs in these areas as a third option that has not been available in the current marketplace.”

Added the company: “When T-Mobile delivers the stronger 5G network it projects, MVNOs may also explore the opportunity to enter new markets, including the Internet of Things, and other 5G-enabled wholesale services.”"

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Could be. I guess he's thinking that three nearly equal competitors could make the MVNO's selection of host carriers easier. It doesn't matter what it costs as long as he can negotiate a the best deal possible for his company. I have to say, I wanted to see which way the MVNOs leaned on this merger. Have AT&T and Verizon said anything?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post

"“With the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint, and the resulting more rapid deployment of a nationwide 5G network with broader coverage, greater capacity, higher throughput and lower latency, the wholesale market place will be more competitive with three full service competitors, rather than two. The increase in competition should have the greatest effect in rural areas. The resulting excess capacity would be available for MVNOs in these areas as a third option that has not been available in the current marketplace.”

Added the company: “When T-Mobile delivers the stronger 5G network it projects, MVNOs may also explore the opportunity to enter new markets, including the Internet of Things, and other 5G-enabled wholesale services.”"
    Carlos should know better than me, but I don't believe this. I expect with only three national carriers they will likely be more like Canada with no or fewer MVNOs. With Sprint out of the bottom feeder picture and T-Mo near equal to Vz & AT&T why would they sell as much wholesale service at as big discounts to MVNOs when they can force customers into postpaid plans.

I don't buy it, but I may have to pay it.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Carlos should know better than me, but I don't believe this. I expect with only three national carriers they will likely be more like Canada with no or fewer MVNOs. With Sprint out of the bottom feeder picture and T-Mo near equal to Vz & AT&T why would they sell as much wholesale service at as big discounts to MVNOs when they can force customers into postpaid plans.

I don't buy it, but I may have to pay it.
    I don't buy the three networks in Canada would be better off with more networks. Just T-Mobile has twice as many customers as the number of people that live in Canada. Then Canada maybe about the same physical size as the USA but their networks don't cover any where other than the most populated areas. Frankly I think Canada would be better off with just two networks since there isn't enough customers in Canada to even give one network enough revenue to build a good network with real nationwide coverage.

Then again Sprint will go Chapter 11 in the next few years with out the merger. Softbank is deep in debt to somewhere between $150 B to $180 Billion. Softbank has promised their Japanese Banks and bond holders with a covenant they aren't going to keep rescuing Sprint.

Softbank Has More Debt Than Venezuela

SoftBank Is Treating Its Bondholders Like Dirt. It isn't wise to alienate your creditors when you have this much debt.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Could be. I guess he's thinking that three nearly equal competitors could make the MVNO's selection of host carriers easier. It doesn't matter what it costs as long as he can negotiate a the best deal possible for his company. I have to say, I wanted to see which way the MVNOs leaned on this merger. Have AT&T and Verizon said anything?
    Canada's problem is protectionism. In Toronto, I was appalled to find that ordinary milk cost more than grass fed milk here, which is the most expensive milk I can find in a grocery store in NC.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm all for the merger at this point. Wish they would pass it already

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    Canada's problem is protectionism. In Toronto, I was appalled to find that ordinary milk cost more than grass fed milk here, which is the most expensive milk I can find in a grocery store in NC.
    Because it's way too easy for those in power to pull numbers out of thin air and apply arbitrary values to things without any sort of concept of real value. Unfortunately that's closer to what Stalin did than it is to a free market where the cost/price is as close to the real value as possible because it is determined only by those who are making the deals involved.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I'm all for the merger at this point. Wish they would pass it already
    Bring It On. Sprint is a dead horse. It doesn't do anyone any good. However,if it gives the magenta behemoth strength in the form of a nutritious horsemeat meal, then it could actually help people.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Every day that goes by is another day they are delaying T-Mobile building out that massive amount of mid band spectrum Sprint has and eroding any competitive edge they'll have in 5G.

Let's get 'er done.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Every day that goes by is another day they are delaying T-Mobile building out that massive amount of mid band spectrum Sprint has and eroding any competitive edge they'll have in 5G.

Let's get 'er done.
    I agree.

John and his Team are itching to push forward. I remember in Vegas when Sprint had announced their plans for 4G LTE roll out a year before T-Mobile, then Tmo blazed past them and had excellent 4G all over town while Sprint had the absolute worst 4G and ran about a year behind schedule. Tmo has an impressive track record of getting things DONE. I have no doubt that after the merger Tmo will move quickly and light a fire under AT&T and Verizon.... which will energize the whole market.

Looking forward to it! Hope the process wraps up soon.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app