Thread: Using Apple Watch Cellular with iPhone on Google Fi

Device(s)
    iPhone 8Plus, Nexus 6P, various iPads
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Using Apple Watch Cellular with iPhone on Google Fi

Is anybody using a cellular Apple Watch with Google Fi? If so, how did you get it set up?

I've been using my Google Fi SIM in my iPhone 8Plus for the past year or so and data-only SIMs in 3 iPads. I've been very happy with this set up (I do carry my Nexus 6P whenever I travel out of NYC just in case I run into an area without T-Mo service). I've also been using an older Apple Watch which using the iPhone's cellular connection. However, I'd like to upgrade my Apple Watch to one of the newer models that uses it's own cellular data without the need for the phone to be nearby - and I'd like that data to be Google Fi. If you're already doing this, please share how / what you needed to do to get this set up.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I'd like to know this too. I've been a Project Fi subscriber from day one and would love for my daughter at school to have just the 38mm LTE watch on her wrist (since they're not allowed to carry their phones with them). It's absurd Apple requires you to own both iPhone and watch even though the watch alone can communicate with the towers.

Does anyone know if the LTE watch alone (or with LTE iPhone) is capable of running on the project fi (Google Fi) network???

Quote Originally Posted by nycfonephreak View Post
    Is anybody using a cellular Apple Watch with Google Fi? If so, how did you get it set up?

I've been using my Google Fi SIM in my iPhone 8Plus for the past year or so and data-only SIMs in 3 iPads. I've been very happy with this set up (I do carry my Nexus 6P whenever I travel out of NYC just in case I run into an area without T-Mo service). I've also been using an older Apple Watch which using the iPhone's cellular connection. However, I'd like to upgrade my Apple Watch to one of the newer models that uses it's own cellular data without the need for the phone to be nearby - and I'd like that data to be Google Fi. If you're already doing this, please share how / what you needed to do to get this set up.

Thanks

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfonephreak View Post

Thanks
    Applw watch uses an e-sim and Google Fi doesn’t support them yet. Does WFi calling work on your IPhone on Fi?
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet