Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 2018 List of universal, unlocked phones that work on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Just an FYI, the Umidigi F1, F1 Play and S3 Pro will work with Verizon and AT&T and is dual sim.

Probably not certified for Verizon so a Sim swap of already activated sim is a necessary step.

The only observation that I have is that the Verizon sim works best in sim slot 1 which is also the micro SD card slot. So you won't be able to use it if you use Verizon.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    I was just looking at the Umidigi F1 for a friend that is on Verizon, but I can't find out a clean answer if it supports Verizon's VoLTE or not. I seen people talk that it does not work, then other people says it works. So do you have VoLTE enabled and is working?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I am on an mvno(page plus and red pocket) so my understanding is that volte is not working on anything but "real" Verizon. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

In order to make calls, I do need to toggle off Wi-Fi calling option in the settings menu.

What seems to be working is HD calling. I have the HD icon visible.

I did a test and was able to be in a call and browse the internet simultaneously. Draw your own conclusion.

Last edited by ShredFred; 09-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    I am on an mvno(page plus and red pocket) so my understanding is that volte is not working on anything but "real" Verizon. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. In order to make calls, I do need to toggle off Wi-Fi calling option in the settings menu. What seems to be working is HD calling. I have the HD icon visible. I did a test and was able to be in a call and browse the internet simultaneously. Draw your own conclusion. Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    page plus has VoLTE/HDvoice - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...sual-Voicemail and it is working on red pocket Verizon - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...E-WiFi-calling

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Maybe HD voice = volte?

Feedback Score
    VoLTE and HD calling also working fine on VZW MVNO Boom (with unlocked iPhone XR).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I am on an mvno(page plus and red pocket) so my understanding is that volte is not working on anything but "real" Verizon. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

In order to make calls, I do need to toggle off Wi-Fi calling option in the settings menu.

What seems to be working is HD calling. I have the HD icon visible.

I did a test and was able to be in a call and browse the internet simultaneously. Draw your own conclusion.

It does sound like you have VoLTE then. You get HD calling with VoLTE and simultaneously talk and data with VoLTE.

If you did not know, Verizon is going to turn off their CDMA network, and they are switching to VoLTE. That is why you need to have VoLTE on a Verizon MVNO too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    In doing some field testing, I was in rural Vermont and barely got any Verizon LTE signal except on the highway. Because of how my phone is configured, it did not step down to 3g or 1x by design. I get the same behavior in places just outside NYC like Yonkers and suburban Connecticut. So I don't think Verizon is ready to sunset CDMA just yet. I believe they have pushed it back.

I am currently in Central NY and have not lost LTE coverage though.

Feedback Score
    In doing some field testing, I was in rural Vermont and barely got any Verizon LTE signal except on the highway. Because of how my phone is configured, it did not step down to 3g or 1x by design. I get the same behavior in places just outside NYC like Yonkers and suburban Connecticut. So I don't think Verizon is ready to sunset CDMA just yet. I believe they have pushed it back. I am currently in Central NY and have not lost LTE coverage though. Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    what phone do you have ?? did you lose service completely and what Verizon network do you have ( Verizon prepaid Boom Red tracfone ect )

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have the Umidigi S3 Pro. It's exact the same phone as the F1 and F1 Play. It's a dual sim phone. I have Page Plus/VZW in Sim slot 1, Freedompop/AT&T in sim slot 2.

On quirk unique to my setup, my phone is configured as LTE only on sim Slot1 due to needing some configuration to reveal the Apn menu. I figure that's why my phone doesn't step down to 3g or 1x in marginal coverage areas. My phone definitely can communicate over those bands. I've tested it in a 3g/1x only configuration and successfully made calls, sms text and very slow internet. This is needed because the apn settings for internet access is tracfone.vzwentp and not vzwinternet.

I have 2 other users on the F1 and F1 Play using red pocket. No other configuration necessary. They just worked.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In doing some field testing, I was in rural Vermont and barely got any Verizon LTE signal except on the highway. Because of how my phone is configured, it did not step down to 3g or 1x by design. I get the same behavior in places just outside NYC like Yonkers and suburban Connecticut. So I don't think Verizon is ready to sunset CDMA just yet. I believe they have pushed it back.

I am currently in Central NY and have not lost LTE coverage though.

They did push it back to the start of 2021. It was going to be at the start of 2020 before.

Feedback Score
    >I did a test and was able to be in a call and browse the internet simultaneously. Draw your own conclusion.

Reading on it a bit, VZW does have simul voice/data w/o VoLTE. So what you have isn't necessarily VoLTE, and you'll likely lose voice as with all non-VoLTE phones once CDMA sunsets.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...print-iphone-5

"...but as of right now [2012], there's no way to route a voice call over LTE on either Verizon or Sprint. However, all of Verizon's other 4G phones can connect to the CDMA network, for calls, and the LTE network, for data, simultaneously. This allows concurrent usage of voice and data, albeit over two separate network connections with two separate antennas. Some of them can do a similar trick with EVDO and CDMA, using two antennas to connect to both networks concurrently (a feature called SVDO)."

From all I've read, VoLTE needs certification, on any carrier and not just VZW.

>Maybe HD voice = volte?

Technically, HD Voice is the codec, VoLTE is the underlying tech. Practically, they mean the same thing in common usage. When people say HD Voice or VoLTE, they don't mean the codec or the tech, but the function of the phone.

>VoLTE and HD calling also working fine on VZW MVNO Boom (with unlocked iPhone XR).

iPhones XR/XS, along with the upcoming models, are the only fully supported "universal" phones w/ no compromise. If you want it simple, just get the latest iPhone. To wit, the cable MVNOs, who support iPhones first before anything else. The downer is the price, of course.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post

>VoLTE and HD calling also working fine on VZW MVNO Boom (with unlocked iPhone XR).

iPhones XR/XS, along with the upcoming models, are the only fully supported "universal" phones w/ no compromise. If you want it simple, just get the latest iPhone. To wit, the cable MVNOs, who support iPhones first before anything else. The downer is the price, of course.
    That's why I bought the XR and have no plans to ever have another Android again. I was tired of having to jump through hoops to trick something into working, plus I couldn't be sure that a new Android would work (many horror stories of getting all features working on MVNOs, branded or unlocked) and was struggling to find a used one that I could get on the network (Boom will not activate any VZW branded phone that's ever been on VZW itself because VZW charges them a penalty fee to do so). Every feature on iPhone works out of the box, worth the expense to me, I'm done.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7