Thread: Will Telus support eSIM on the new iPhone models?

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Will Telus support eSIM on the new iPhone models?

I'm currently rocking two separate phones - one with Telus, one with Freedom - to meet all my data and coverage needs, so I was very excited when I saw that the new iPhones will support dual-SIM, with one being an eSIM and the other being a regular SIM. Does anyone know if Telus will support the eSIM?

During the Apple presentation they showed Bell as a supported carrier but no other Canadian carriers that I could see. It would be great if Telus supported this so I could drop down to just one phone again and simply use two carriers on the same device.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingDark View Post
    I'm currently rocking two separate phones - one with Telus, one with Freedom - to meet all my data and coverage needs, so I was very excited when I saw that the new iPhones will support dual-SIM, with one being an eSIM and the other being a regular SIM. Does anyone know if Telus will support the eSIM?

During the Apple presentation they showed Bell as a supported carrier but no other Canadian carriers that I could see. It would be great if Telus supported this so I could drop down to just one phone again and simply use two carriers on the same device.
    They will because they support the Apple Watch already, but looks like Bell beat them to the punch to make it to the event like Telus did with the Apple Watch while Bell and others were left scrambling to get on board.

Telus and others may pretend to "upgrade backend" to enable this when they already have the system.

I could be wrong but I read somewhere that some carriers may lock down the eSIM, so maybe while your on a contract you may not be able to use it with a carrier.

I am in your same situation with Telus and Freedom lines in hand.

My only other thinking is that if you can get your hands on the China version of the iPhone XS/XS Max because those support physical 2 nano sim's, and those units are fully compatible with Canadian networks as they have all the LTE bands etc.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Koodo: $40/8GB w/ 1000 International Minutes
    Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Only eSIM they support is for roaming
    Calling it now

Plus do we REALLY want to go backwards?
    In old CDMA days they talked about RUIMs forever
    Most of us do not like needing to call into carrier to give them our phones serial number for the privilege of using it on their network
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Calling it now

Most of us do not like needing to call into carrier to give them our phones serial number for the privilege of using it on their network
    It’s not going to work that way. It’ll be similar to an LTE Apple Watch activation. All automated no need to call.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Calling it now

I think you need to stop comparing the old technology with new.

The possibilities are endless, CDMA was never meant to exist as it wasn't future proof, but it did for the short while that it did.

eSIM is the future, given the units are sold unlocked, I cannot see how they will try to control this. After all the biggest network in USA are on board, so what gives the canadian ones won't be.

On the side note for everyone's understanding: DUAL SIM DUAL STANDBY isn't DUAL SIM DUAL ACTIVE.

meaning when one sim gets call, the other goes to voicemail

Example: if you set eSIM to VOICE/TEXT and SIM 2 to Data only. Guess what, you'll be living in the past like CDMA days where data didn't work while on the call. This will really only help those that need two lines, one could always forward the 1 sim to the other. But one would never know which line actually got the call in that case....its a annoying feature, maybe Apple can solve this problem in few years....some how...because right now DUAL SIM DUAL STANDBY is more of a gimmick and this isn't Apple's fault. All other makes and models work this way as well.

There are very few Chinese phones that offer dual sim dual active as it requires two separate antenna's.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From what I understand Apple dual sim has the same feature Huawei dual sims have that can enable data on the active number for dual VoLTE. So if you’re using the number that isn’t the line you have enable as your main for data it will switch when you take a call.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It looks like TELUS updated their SIM swap page. If you look at the top, you will see 4 steps:

1. Enter SIM Number
    2. Get Code
    3. Enter Code
    4. Active/Confirm

I believe that Apple uses some sort of QR code to activate the eSIM which would make sense based on these 4 steps. It looks like TELUS may in fact support the eSIM once Apple releases iOS 12.1.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 00.06.27.jpg
Views: 7334
Size:  47.2 KB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by euroeuro View Post
    It looks like TELUS updated their SIM swap page. If you look at the top, you will see 4 steps:

1. Enter SIM Number
    2. Get Code
    3. Enter Code
    4. Active/Confirm

I believe that Apple uses some sort of QR code to activate the eSIM which would make sense based on these 4 steps. It looks like TELUS may in fact support the eSIM once Apple releases iOS 12.1.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 00.06.27.jpg
Views: 7334
Size:  47.2 KB
    Yeah. No

/filler

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anyone have any info on Telus supporting eSIM's on the new iPhone's?? I really wish I had known that there was a XS Max with real dual sim...

I'd have imported one. Seems carriers worldwide have given Apple the finger with regards to support... Some big names sure, but after that it's crickets.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Only way you going to get on board is if you A) Import one and sell your current one B) Move to Bell/Virgin But you might just be giving up some of the best deal(s) you may have with Koodo / Telus.

When I upgrade from my X in near future, I am going to import one because I want the real DUAL SIM. Not going to wait along for eSIM to come around as they know that people will just get cheaper data from freedom and use the big 3 for voice/text.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Only way you going to get on board is if you A) Import one and sell your current one B) Move to Bell/Virgin But you might just be giving up some of the best deal(s) you may have with Koodo / Telus.

When I upgrade from my X in near future, I am going to import one because I want the real DUAL SIM. Not going to wait along for eSIM to come around as they know that people will just get cheaper data from freedom and use the big 3 for voice/text.
    Yeah, seems carriers are giving apple the finger

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using HoFo mobile app