Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint announces Gen 3 Magic Box

Feedback Score

Sprint announces Gen 3 Magic Box

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-an...-magic-box.htm

For comparison: Sprints current Magic Box only supports 2 CA on the relay, 64 QAM, and 2T4R and is Relay only.

Gen 3 can do 3 methods... Relay via 3CA 4x4 MIMO 256/64 QAM, WiFi, and ethernet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post

For comparison: Sprints current Magic Box only supports 2 CA on the relay, 64 QAM, and 2T4R and is Relay only.

Gen 3 can do 3 methods... Relay via 3CA 4x4 MIMO 256/64 QAM, WiFi, and ethernet.
    Expected availability is mid November, they tell me.

It is being timed to align with 5G and VoLTE rollout stages (which are limited by area and phone model and some are beta only - obviously those will get priority).
    Last edited by comintel; 09-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Expected availability is mid November, they tell me.

It is being timed to align with 5G and VoLTE rollout stages (which are limited by area and phone model and some are beta only - obviously those will get priority).
    Curious, does having this device also improve the signal of Sprint customers passing by home and or neighbors?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Curious, does having this device also improve the signal of Sprint customers passing by home and or
    Yes it does and that is a large part of why Sprint has this program - to help densify the network.

The new version will have many new features including support of Wifi and Ethernet backhaul.

And more.....

Feedback Score
    Yes it does and that is a large part of why Sprint has this program - to help densify the network.

The new version will have many new features including support of Wifi and Ethernet backhaul.

And more.....
    Ok thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post

Is there any point to getting a Magic Box if you have wifi at home? I use wifi calling, and wifi for data... so I'm not sure why I need better cellular reception -- or any cellular reception -- at home.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by swarmer View Post
    Is there any point to getting a Magic Box if you have wifi at home? I use wifi calling, and wifi for data... so I'm not sure why I need better cellular reception -- or any cellular reception -- at home.
    Same reason you would have an Airave -- better battery life, better reliability than WiFi calling (which is very flakey for me at least) -- It sounds like this new device combines the Magic Box with an Airave. For whatever reason, I have an Airave and they could not send a Magic Box -- I believe it had to do with our Band 41 frequencies not being contiguous here.

N

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint (SERO Plan)
    Feedback Score
    I was told, after many attempts to secure a magicbox, that I couldn't get one at my location.

The tech theorized that it was because I'm within 4 miles from a small airport.

I have to put my phone in a window to pull b41. Which I was getting without having to use the window a few months ago.

I toyed with the idea of building my own booster for 2500 megahertz. Anyone tried that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moovius View Post
    I was told, after many attempts to secure a magicbox, that I couldn't get one at my location.

The tech theorized that it was because I'm within 4 miles from a small airport.

I have to put my phone in a window to pull b41. Which I was getting without having to use the window a few months ago.

I toyed with the idea of building my own booster for 2500 megahertz. Anyone tried that?

You might not need one with a good RF performing phone that has HPUE but that would be uncertain and might not do the trick either.

As to seasonality, band 41 signals are affected by tree foliage density. Also power levels can be affected by load.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-20-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    How does one go about ordering the latest gen model ? Or does one wait til November?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    How does one go about ordering the latest gen model ? Or does one wait til November?

Call tech support in late November (could slip further) and make a case that you need it. They will discuss with you if it would help in your location and situation.

You cannot request it now. They are on hold until then. Although the formal reason is "out of stock", it appears they are waiting for network upgrades for 5G and VoLTE to be completed before placing the new units in stock. They more or less told me that. And they have no old units left.

Feedback Score
    Call tech support in late November (could slip further) and make a case that you need it. They will discuss with you if it would help in your location and situation.

You cannot request it now. They are on hold until then. Although the formal reason is "out of stock", it appears they are waiting for network upgrades for 5G and VoLTE to be completed before placing the new units in stock. They more or less told me that. And they have no old units left.
    Ok thank you

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    I just received a Magic Box gen2 last Thursday as they have them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ANewMan4Life View Post
    I just received a Magic Box gen2 last Thursday as they have them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OK thanks.
    They definitely were out of stock (many many people have been told that) but maybe they have replenished with that older model for now or maybe you made an exceptionally good case or were lucky as to timing.
    Did you request it recently?
    Personally I would wait for the new version anyway as they are vastly superior.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-22-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint (SERO Plan)
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't aware of HPUE (which is cool), but I don't want to upgrade from my S7 right now. I've only had it a year and it is in great shape.

I can't see how a magic box would interfere with an airport 4 miles away.

I see magic box being sold on eBay from time to time. Is there anything that Sprint has to do to enable a magic box or is it just a dummy device that you plug in and instantly starts working? I just need a teeny tiny bump in signal for things to improve significantly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast