Thread: VoLTE Call on T-Mobile choppy on two bars of service

Feedback Score

VoLTE Call on T-Mobile choppy on two bars of service

Anyone else seem to have perfectly good service and get choppy VoLTE?
    I had two bars on my iPhone 8 Plus and it was dropping every other syllable.
    However in engineering mode it seemed like the signal was pretty weak.
    The phone did go back to 4G at one point.
    Also I have noticed on the iPhone 8 a need to hold the phone perfectly for the microphone to be aligned right.

So are bars a good measurement of signal and VoLTE call quality or is T-Mobile playing musical signal bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    My guess would be a congested tower.

I have had issues with Verizon VOLTE with a tower located right across the street

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    So are bars a good measurement of signal and VoLTE call quality or is T-Mobile playing musical signal bars?
    Depends on the phone. On some phones bars are an indicator of received signal strength. In a case where you are indoors or at a long range from the tower, it's possible to have a decent received signal but not have a good uplink margin. Were you indoors? Have you checked CellMapper to see the range to the nearest tower?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On rare occasions when speaking to a Verizon customer I may get one or two words in a four minute conversation that sounds like it was buffered but nothing that lasted long. Verizon and T-Mobile seem to me having the weakest sound quality and the Verizon customer could have been over CDMA. Never have a issue with sound quality with T-Mobile or AT&T customers. Don't know any Sprint customers now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Depends on the phone. On some phones bars are an indicator of received signal strength. In a case where you are indoors or at a long range from the tower, it's possible to have a decent received signal but not have a good uplink margin. Were you indoors? Have you checked CellMapper to see the range to the nearest tower?
    Yes I was indoors and talking to a Sprint CDMA User. It normally is not the case that there are issues as T-Mobile VoLTE is fairly good.

The other party was said I was dropping syllables so it could easy have been poor uplink margin.

I am going to check out Cell Mapper and see what towers are nearby.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    On rare occasions when speaking to a Verizon customer I may get one or two words in a four minute conversation that sounds like it was buffered but nothing that lasted long. Verizon and T-Mobile seem to me having the weakest sound quality and the Verizon customer could have been over CDMA. Never have a issue with sound quality with T-Mobile or AT&T customers. Don't know any Sprint customers now.
    I bet crossing technologies has something to do with it as well.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Yes I was indoors and talking to a Sprint CDMA User. ....
    Make sure you weren't on a weak WiFi Calling connection. I have to set my phone to "Cellular preferred" or if I go to the bedroom my WiFi Calling goes down the drain.