Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you still use PDANet?

Feedback Score

Question Can you still use PDANet?

I know a few years ago T-Mobile started cracking down on PDA Net users. However, is this still possible in 2018? Just wondering, thanks!

Specifically on T-Mobile ONE

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you want to tether you are going to have to pick a T-Mobile plan that allows tethering. Most T-Mobile’s plans do allow tethering. MetroPCS has some plans that doesn’t allow tethers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The short answer is yes, but it's still "use at your own risk" territory.

Feedback Score
    I’m on TM, and yes, it still works fine. The main reason I use it now is that it will rebroadcast WiFi to other devices. So if you are traveling and have to pay for a single device access, it can allow another device to have access simultaneously over WiFi. I just used it internationally today as a matter of fact. My iPad mini 4 is jail broken, and I was able to log in with it, and then also run updates in the background on my wife’s iPhone. I am currently on a cruise ship with paid, single device access. I guess i’m a scoffaw? Outlaw? I dunno...

But more to the point of the question, it works fine on TM cellular also.

Feedback Score
    I am using it now via my Note 4. I use USB tether. Rock solid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I guess i’m a scoffaw? Outlaw? I dunno...

But more to the point of the question, it works fine on TM cellular also.
    Of course, no "law" is involved. You've already paid for your data, so there is nothing immoral about anything at all that you do with it as long as they use is within the ACTUAL law.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    You've already paid for your data, so there is nothing immoral about anything at all that you do with it as long as they use is within the ACTUAL law.
    Yes, morality may not be involved. But the terms and conditions agreed to by a user are. T-Mobile lists the following as something you are not permitted to do:

Unless explicitly permitted by your Rate Plan or Data Plan, you are not permitted to use your Device or the Services in a way that we determine:

Results in unusually high usage (specifically, more 50GB (updated periodically) in a month) and the majority of your data usage being Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering) usage for any 3 billing cycles within any 6-month period;

https://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/P...ons&print=true

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Yes, morality may not be involved. But the terms and conditions agreed to by a user are. T-Mobile lists the following as something you are not permitted to do:

Unless explicitly permitted by your Rate Plan or Data Plan, you are not permitted to use your Device or the Services in a way that we determine:

Results in unusually high usage (specifically, more 50GB (updated periodically) in a month) and the majority of your data usage being Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (tethering) usage for any 3 billing cycles within any 6-month period;

In the situation I just cited, it is not even being run through the TM service, but I do agree with the concept you’ve raised. For me, it’s usually a matter of convenience to not have to log out of one device just to log back in on another for downloads. I usually travel with a 10.5” & mini iPad, and switch between them during the day, depending upon whether I need the bigger screen, or portability of the mini or even my iPhone X.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    In the situation I just cited, it is not even being run through the TM service,
    Yes, of course, the ship scenario you described wouldn't apply.

The OP should have specified whether he was asking about PDA.NET on Android or iOS. The iOS version would broadcast Wifi as you describe. I assume it has to still be installed on a jailbroken device since you mentioned it.

Meanwhile the Android version hasn't supported wifi tethering for a long time now. It was only useful for USB tethering. It's amazing the apps operated so differently on the different platforms. But I guess, it's just what the app makers had access to on each system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

That actually sounds like reasonable terms of service, as opposed to something like the absolutist prohibition on hotspot use* that you find in carriers like Cricket.

----
    * Usage outside of specific plans on a very limited number of devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko2000 View Post
    I am using it now via my Note 4. I use USB tether. Rock solid.
    Using T-Mobile One Plus?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    On our 55+ plan, we have one Nexus 5x. I have not found a way to install T-Mobile's Hotspot app but we have tested the Android-intrinsic network sharing. It seems to work but I am concerned about being called to account for using it. We could also use PDAnet or FoxFi. What would be the best way to handle this?
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    On our 55+ plan, we have one Nexus 5x. I have not found a way to install T-Mobile's Hotspot app but we have tested the Android-intrinsic network sharing. It seems to work but I am concerned about being called to account for using it. We could also use PDAnet or FoxFi. What would be the best way to handle this?
    If tethering is a regular occurrence, artificially limiting speeds to the included 512Kbps might be an acceptable method.
    - Galaxy S10 (T-Mobile / 128GB / Black)
    Twitter | Homepage

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can still use pdanet.. but my teen kid says easyteather works better. He says pdanet sometimes pauses or loses connection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    FoxFi/PDANet has settings to help disguise that hotspotting is being done. That might help CYA. You can also run through a VPN to disguise more. I'm not sure if FoxFi/PDANet has VPN built in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast