Thread: $50 for 8GB + North America Calling

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score

$50 for 8GB + North America Calling

Surprised just how quiet this subforum is

Public offers $50 for 8GB + North America calling (-$2 autopay credits)
    Freedom offers $55 for 5GB + Canada calling (-$5 autopay credits)

Plus with all the great Public to Koodo migration offers being thrown out there
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think you are comparing Apples to Oranges here:

Freedoms plan is full LTE speed at 5gb + 3 gb bonus for a total of 8 gb and it has WiFi and VoLTE calling options.

Public is only 3G speed ( 3 mbs) for this offer and does not include the wifi or VoLTE. Additionally Public does not offer any type of Tab or phone purchase option.

The Public migration to Koodo offers are only made to select customers on certain plans. No guarantee that one will be offered...so one is rolling the dice if counting on that.
    Pixel 2.
    Nexus 5.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Public Mobile also works on the much larger and higher quality Telus network. Its speed limit only applies over LTE, where the lower latency still gives very snappy performance for must usage. Need a burst of speed? Disable LTE and still get full HSPA+ speed.

For many, Freedom Mobile gives good service at a great value. There are also some other options, like VoLTE, etc. However, Public offers the best value in ordinary Cellular service via prepaid right now, and has for a while. I agree that one should not count on getting the Koodo migration offers.

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skifan View Post
    I think you are comparing Apples to Oranges here:

Freedoms plan is full LTE speed at 5gb + 3 gb bonus for a total of 8 gb and it has WiFi and VoLTE calling options.

Public is only 3G speed ( 3 mbs) for this offer and does not include the wifi or VoLTE. Additionally Public does not offer any type of Tab or phone purchase option.

The Public migration to Koodo offers are only made to select customers on certain plans. No guarantee that one will be offered...so one is rolling the dice if counting on that.
    Freedom "full lte" lol. Where coverage exists and where network is not congested. FM network is still far behind from Telus /Bell shared on PM. Even Rogers network doesn't compare to Bellus one. I had given freedom multiple last chances including this summer but not coming back to them anymore.
    Ps FM 3GB of bonus data is limited by time, PM is for LIFE

Sent from my Honor 7X using HoFo mobile app
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Public Mobile also works on the much larger and higher quality Telus network. Its speed limit only applies over LTE, where the lower latency still gives very snappy performance for must usage. Need a burst of speed? Disable LTE and still get full HSPA+ speed.

For many, Freedom Mobile gives good service at a great value. There are also some other options, like VoLTE, etc. However, Public offers the best value in ordinary Cellular service via prepaid right now, and has for a while. I agree that one should not count on getting the Koodo migration offers.
    Fully agree about PM. Most people value the coverage and reliability of signal, data stability.
    Not sure that most people on Freedom get good service. I have personally experienced dead zones, not delivered incoming messages, people could not reach me etc.
    PM is much better option for most, especially with this deal!

Sent from my [Honor 7X] using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score

PS was very curious why it happens : more speed with 3G than on LTE??? it doesn't make any sense! I've noticed that in my speed tests.
    Why?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    ...PM is for LIFE
    Public, Freedom, et al, can change the terms and conditions of any offer at any time with appropriate notice.

In this business, LIFE means the lifetime of the offer....not your lifetime.

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Public, Freedom, et al, can change the terms and conditions of any offer at any time with appropriate notice.

In this business, LIFE means the lifetime of the offer....not your lifetime.
    However the 40 dollar plan my friends have for 3 years already with no change with PM. so unless they raise all plans like all cell companies do, it's for good

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    PS was very curious why it happens : more speed with 3G than on LTE??? it doesn't make any sense! I've noticed that in my speed tests.
    Why?
    Most people leave their phones on default settings, which typically select the newest network where possible, so they only needed to make the effort to limit LTE. It makes sense, since LTE is the asset that needs protection from congestion. It's not that 3G can't get congested -- it's just that it doesn't matter as much.

One quirk about how phones and towers interact is that you can get them hanging on to a given protocol or band that isn't working very well, and its apparent availability means that they won't move over or down to another solution. But, as user can select that if they have the right manual controls on their phone. I was once in a rural area where there was a crowd of people. There was good signal, but it was hard to get a call through because of limited bandwidth. However, my Rogers backup phone worked fine on barely-used 2G. :-)

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most people leave their phones on default settings, which typically select the newest network where possible, so they only needed to make the effort to limit LTE. It makes sense, since LTE is the asset that needs protection from congestion. It's not that 3G can't get congested -- it's just that it doesn't matter as much.

One quirk about how phones and towers interact is that you can get them hanging on to a given protocol or band that isn't working very well, and its apparent availability means that they won't move over or down to another solution. But, as user can select that if they have the right manual controls on their phone. I was once in a rural area where there was a crowd of people. There was good signal, but it was hard to get a call through because of limited bandwidth. However, my Rogers backup phone worked fine on barely-used 2G. :-)
    So I switched to 3G now. Now I have less coverage Compared to LTE? What are the limitations? You saying it should work better since everyone is on LTE?

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Why?

Its a bug
    They put throttle on LTE only
    So for those clever enough to go HSPA only (or using an older phone) they end up with better speeds

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    + 3 gb bonus
    3GB bonus is only available in store

Actually its kind of weird... nearly ALL of Freedom promos are in store only

Every other carrier is giving discounts to activate at home online (incl Public & Koodo)

Additionally Public does not offer any type of Tab or phone purchase option.
    I would also argue Freedom does NOT offer Tab
    For last couple of years and you can see on website, to get the hardware discounts you need to switch to an inmarket plan
    For new activations / churn they give good phone deals
    For upgrades? Forget about it

So after 24M you lose your 3GB bonus and chances are you no longer even have the option for a Tab

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Its a bug
    They put throttle on LTE only
    So for those clever enough to go HSPA only (or using an older phone) they end up with better speeds
    I love this bug thanks! I'm now on 3G(H+) and getting up to 25Mbps.
    Now I have less coverage Compared to LTE? What are the limitations?
    I mean 3G is 850/1900. Do I lose access to LTE frequency or it will affect data only, no coverage?
    Still a bit confused how it works

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    3GB bonus is only available in store

Actually its kind of weird... nearly ALL of Freedom promos are in store only

Every other carrier is giving discounts to activate at home online (incl Public & Koodo)

I would also argue Freedom does NOT offer Tab
    For last couple of years and you can see on website, to get the hardware discounts you need to switch to an inmarket plan
    For new activations / churn they give good phone deals
    For upgrades? Forget about it

So after 24M you lose your 3GB bonus and chances are you no longer even have the option for a Tab
    I guess because only some Freedom Stores are actual freedom stores, most of them are authorized dealers. Maybe that's why you have to go to store to get the deal that dealers make money. Who knows

Feedback Score
    . I was once in a rural area where there was a crowd of people. There was good signal, but it was hard to get a call through because of limited bandwidth. However, my Rogers backup phone worked fine on barely-used 2G. :-)
    Too bad that "2G hole" won't be around for much longer with Rogers shutting off 2G GSM in 2 year's time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast