Thread: Cricket Q&A - The Thread(2018) Edition!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Cricket Q&A - The Thread(2018) Edition!

This is newly updated information about Cricket as of 2018. The old thread will be no longer visible.

1. Q: What Network does Cricket Wireless use?
    A: The AT&T Nationwide GSM Network.

2. Q: Does Cricket have any Roaming?
    A: No, Cricket only uses towers that AT&T owns(ie: Native AT&T Coverage only).

3. Q: Does Cricket have a 2G/EDGE/GPRS network still?
    A: No, Since AT&T shut down there 2G/EDGE/GPRS network it also affects Cricket customers as well. All Cricket/AT&T customer phones will either receive 3G UMTS or 4G HSPA+ as the minimum network data technology depending on how old your phone is. If it is an international variant as many of the international phone variants do not support Cricket's(AT&T's) LTE network, 3G UMTS or 4G HSPA+ will be the highest network data technology your phone will support.

4. Q: Since Cricket uses AT&T for their network can I use an AT&T phone? Does it need to be Network Unlocked?
    A: If it's an AT&T Postpaid or AT&T Prepaid phone it WILL NOT need to be Network Unlocked as the phone is already programmed out of the box to also use Cricket as well. If it's from another Carrier like Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint it WILL need to be Network Unlocked. *Some older AT&T phones may need to be Network Unlocked to use Cricket.

5. Q: When shopping for a phone to bring to Cricket, what Bands will I need to look for to get the best experience on Cricket's(AT&T's) LTE network?
    A: For LTE you need a phone that supports Band's 2,4,5,12,14,29,30, and 66 for the best experience, but the minimum requirement for LTE coverage on Cricket's(AT&T's) network your phone should at least support LTE Band's 2,4,5, and 12.

6. Q: Does Cricket Wireless have speed caps on their plans?
    A: Yes, For the 2 Gig, 5 Gig, and Unlimited Max plan your speed is limited to 8 Megs per second Maximum on LTE, for the Cricket Unlimited(Regular) plan your speed is limited to 3 megs per second Maximum on LTE. 4G HSPA+/3G UMTS on the 2 Gig, 5 Gig, Unlimited Max will be 4 megs per second Maximum and on the Unlimited(Regular) plan will be 3 megs per second Maximum.

7. Q: Does Cricket have a Referrals Program?
    A: Yes, for every person that is referred to Cricket and signs up you can get a max of $250 in bills credits per year. Limit 10 referrals per calendar year. More info at this link: https://mycrk.it/2PyA9gQ

8. Q: Does Cricket Wireless have an Activation fee?
    A: In Cricket stores: $25, Online: $0.

9. Q: Can I get a replacement sim card? Can I buy sim cards for BYOD devices at retail stores?
    A: Yes, it will cost $10 for a replacement sim card. Yes, you can buy them at Walmart, Best Buy, and Target or order a new one on Cricket's website as well.

10. Q: Does Cricket charge taxes and fees?
    A: No, Taxes and Fees are included in the cost of your monthly service.

11. Q: Does Cricket have Group Save plans where you can save money?
    A: Yes, 2 lines on the Unlimited(Regular) plan for $80 monthly or 4 lines on the Unlimited(Regular) plan for $100 monthly. This plan gives you Unlimited data with data speeds capped at 3 megs per second. *After 22 Gigs of data used Cricket may temporary slow your data if your local tower has too much cell phone traffic on it, once traffic on the tower lowers, your data speed will be restored back to your plans max speed.

12. Q: Does Cricket have discounts on single lines?
    A: Yes, as long as you have Auto Pay turned on you can get Discounts on your plan.

Discounts as follows:

- 2 Gig plan: Not Eligible for Auto Pay or Group Save discount,

- 5 Gig plan: $40 monthly without Auto Pay or $35 monthly with Auto Pay. Also Group save eligible.

- Unlimited(Regular) capped at 3 megs per second plan: $55 monthly without Auto Pay or $50 monthly with Auto Pay. Also Group Save eligible.

- Unlimited(Max) capped at 8 megs per second: $60 monthly without Auto Pay or $55 monthly with Auto Pay. Also Group Save Eligible.

13. Q: Does Cricket have a plan with Unlimited Talk & Text only and no data?
    A: Yes, this plan is only for Basic phones and feature phones. Smartphones do not qualify for this plan.

14. Q: Does Cricket have a music service?
    A: Yes, Cricket uses Deezer Music Streaming service. New customers get a 30 day free trial while existing customers get a 15 day free trial. After free trial: $6 monthly.

15. Q: Does Cricket have Mobile Hotspot(Tethering)?
    A: Yes, you can now get Mobile Hotspot(Tethering) service from Cricket for $10 per month/per line extra. Mobile Hotspot service only available on the Unlimited(Regular) and Unlimited(Max) plans and you get 10 Gigs of Hotspot data(Unlimited Data plans only) to share with others per month. *Select older grandfathered plans are also eligible.

16. Q: Does Cricket work in Mexico and Canada?
    A: Yes, Data access plus unlimited calls, texts and picture messages to and from Mexico, Canada and the U.S only available on the Unlimited(Regular) and Unlimited(Max) plans. *Select older Grandfathered plans also eligible.

17. Q: Does Cricket allow BYOD phones to have Cricket Protect insurance on them?
    A: Yes but only select phones, Apple iPhone 6, 6+, 6S, 6S+, SE, 7, 7+, 8, and 8 Plus but also Samsung Galaxy S7/S8 are BYOD phones that can be covered. Note: To be deemed Eligible the phone must be brought to a Cricket Store so the rep can inspect it and sign you up.

18. Q: Does Cricket have an option to lease phones?
    A: Yes, Through Progressive Leasing. This service does not require a Credit check but does require you to have a Government issued ID, Valid Social Security number, Source of Income, Credit or Debit card, a active and currently open checking account. Learn more here: https://mycrk.it/2CfShua.

19. Q: How long will it take for an online order to get to my house?
    A: All online orders get shipped via Overnight Shipping. Must Order by 2PM Eastern Time to ship same day(Weekends not included).

20. Q: Can I put my Unlimited Data Sim Card into a Dedicated Mobile Hotspot device or iPad and use my Unlimited Plan?
    A: No, Cricket has stated "If we determine your data is being used on a device that is unauthorized(Dedicated Mobile Hotspot or iPad), Cricket has the right to suspend your service". *This rule only applies to iPads or dedicated Mobile Hotspot devices for example: the ZTE Mobiley or Netgear Nighthawk.

I will be updating this thread as time goes on, if you saw this post thank you for taking the time to read it!

Legend: BYOD = Bring Your Own Device.
    Last edited by Vicpdx17; 09-04-2018 at 12:46 AM.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 100 Megs per second internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: AT&T Prepaid as primary and secondary carrier.

Feedback Score
    Can I use a Cricket phone without unlocking on H20 which is an AT&T mvno?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Can I use a Cricket phone without unlocking on H20 which is an AT&T mvno?
    Nope, Cricket phones are locked to Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Nope, Cricket phones are locked to Cricket.
    I had been told that before but wanted to be sure. I was looking at a LG Risio 3 and I really like LG phones but I just don't need a $30 monthly plan because I don't do that much calling.