T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

MetroSMART Ride

https://www.fiercewireless.com/iot/t...etrosmart-ride

Name:  metro_smart_ride.jpg
Views: 4173
Size:  114.1 KB

Following the launch of its own SyncUp Drive connected car product, T-Mobile announced it will essentially extend that offering into its MetroPCS brand under the new MetroSMART Ride tag.

Vendor Mojio powers the offering, which is built by KonnectONE. Mojio offers similar products through the likes of Deutsche Telekom and Telus, covering a total of 750,000 connected cars in five countries across North America and Europe.

The MetroSMART Ride service, from T-Mobile’s MetroPCS prepaid brand, essentially works through an LTE-capable dongle that users plug into their vehicle’s OBD-II (on-board diagnostics) port. Most cars built since 1996 have ODB-II ports. The gadget then can connect to a user’s phone and provide them with information on the car.

T-Mobile said MetroPCS would provide the MetroSMART Ride dongle for free for a limited time, and would charge $10 a month for the service.

The offering provides a variety of services including car trouble alerts, fuel levels, roadside assistance from Allstate Motor Club, GPS tracking and location, notifications if a parked car gets hit or towed and 2 GB per month of in-car 4G LTE Wi-Fi. (Service is stopped after that 2 GB allotment, but users can buy more for prices ranging from $5 for 2 GB to $20 for 10 GB.)
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Sounds like an interesting gadget.

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I wanted this but my OBD port is behind a cover with the fuse panel. So either I remove the cover and expose all the fuses or not use this. There is no room for this when the cover is on the panel.. I'd mainly want it for wifi in car, but for that it's expensive. HotSpot on my phone is only $10 for 10GB so $10 for 2 is a lot. That's why this device is free.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What phone plan has $10 hotspot?

It is $10 just for the first 2 GB. Service is stopped after that 2 GB allotment, but users can buy more for prices ranging from $5 for 2 GB to $20 for 10 GB.

As an example AT&T is $25 for 2 GB hotspot.

https://20somethingfinance.com/cheap...hotspot-plans/

So you can get 12 GB hotspot for $30 a month which seems like a good price.

I assume the cheap price is because it is inconvenient to use wifi from your car unless you are always in your car.

I would like to find out more about how the towing service works. I have towing service with my auto insurance but I heard that if you use it they can raise your rates just because you needed a tow.

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    What phone plan has $10 hotspot?

It is $10 just for the first 2 GB. Service is stopped after that 2 GB allotment, but users can buy more for prices ranging from $5 for 2 GB to $20 for 10 GB.

As an example AT&T is $25 for 2 GB hotspot.

https://20somethingfinance.com/cheap...hotspot-plans/

So you can get 12 GB hotspot for $30 a month which seems like a good price.

I assume the cheap price is because it is inconvenient to use wifi from your car unless you are always in your car.

I would like to find out more about how the towing service works. I have towing service with my auto insurance but I heard that if you use it they can raise your rates just because you needed a tow.
    The unlimited plan has $10 hotspot. $50 for unlimited everything without hotspot and $60 for unlimited with hotspot

Please note I'm talking about phone tethering hotspot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    That is the way most people get hotspot is on their phone plan.

However, if you want hotspot without a large monthly fee they charge more so these prices are not bad if you look at it that way.

I have hotspot on my phone plan too but only 3 GB LTE and then throttled.

If I got this service it would be only for the towing service because my car is old now so might break down. I might also use the tracking feature if my car got stolen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    That is the way most people get hotspot is on their phone plan.

However, if you want hotspot without a large monthly fee they charge more so these prices are not bad if you look at it that way.

I have hotspot on my phone plan too but only 3 GB LTE and then throttled.

If I got this service it would be only for the towing service because my car is old now so might break down. I might also use the tracking feature if my car got stolen.
    Same, same about the old car and towing benefits. Also, I live in a city where parking is tight and SFMTA rabidly tickets for performant street cleaning. I know there are other apps that help one remember where the car is parked, but this device could pay for itself by always giving me easy access to knowing where the car is parked.

I want to try it out, but it was out of stock. Then see if its actually worth it to pay for every month.

Feedback Score
    If it doesn't fit, you can get obd port extension cables that are low profile and you can stuff the device in the dash or under the dash.

I personally don't want my odb port accessible by a web connected device. Canbus has no security. The older ZTE Mobley device on ATT was only powered by the obd port. I have a couple of the ATT Connected Car plans, I use the sims in hotspots and keep the Mobleys in a desk drawer in case ATT gets a bug up their butts and wants to validate imeis.

Feedback Score
    AT&T still offers unlimited car hotspot for $20 a month.

The unlimited hotspot might be better for some people.

It says you need a 2015 or newer car and the hotspot works 50 feet away. I wonder why you need a 2015 or newer car because I don't see why that would matter.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html#OEM

However, the AT&T service is just a hotspot and has none of the features like tracking or towing.

Device(s)
    i880
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    It's a cool device specially free roadside up to $100 that's the value in itself, it's cheaper then the hotspot device monthly, at&t says it has to be a 2018 or newer, my car has it but it says $49 a month and it only has 3g, at&t sucks anyways I wish you could just swap a sim card out and put in your own company of your choice.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Can’t have it as a stand-alone device. -_- cheapest way to get it is $35 a month. $25 monthly plan for phone plus $10 for the car plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    i880
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Can’t have it as a stand-alone device. -_- cheapest way to get it is $35 a month. $25 monthly plan for phone plus $10 for the car plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If your using a flip phone, but smart phone will cost you $30

Device(s)
    SE C905a
    Feedback Score
    wish there was a way to access the wider ODB data from a 3rd party app.. their app doesnt really tell you much