Thread: Unwanted apps pushed out

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Unwanted apps pushed out

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I unlocked my phone and discovered a new T-Mobile TV app and an Amazon app that weren't there before, and also a new icon for the Visual Voicemail app (not in the existing T-Mobile folder). The Amazon app, in particular, didn't show up as "installed" in Google Play, so it didn't come from there. I had to delete it from the phone settings instead.

I suppose the T-Mobile apps can be excused, but Amazon? I don't want anything to do with them. I didn't find anything else unwanted, at least, but still, I really don't appreciate having unwanted apps foisted on me.

Feedback Score
    nothing here.

Wipe your phone.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it seems your phone may be compromised.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Curious. Did the phone perform an update? It would seem odd that the phone was compromised with the apps it installed (e.g., T-Mobile apps and Amazon).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The T-Mobile apps *did* show up as updated in Google Play. When I deleted the Amazon app (via Settings), it stayed deleted. I haven't noticed any other oddities. The phone isn't (and never has been) rooted.

Regardless, I don't use my phone for anything financial, on general principle.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile app is main non-removable evil (at least, on some phones) of T-Mobile branded phones.

My T-Mobile branded LG G4 consumed battery as crazy. Battery monitor indicated only "Android System" or "Google Services", but considering the history of T-Mobile app I suspected it as primary offender. Few weeks ago I rooted my LG G4, removed T-Mobile app and battery life improved drastically. In idle mode, before rooting, battery consumption was 2-3% per hour, after rooting it is 1% per hour.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. My LG Stylo 2 Plus has, from the outset and still today, outstanding battery life. That being said, the first thing I did when I bought the phone was remove anything from Facebook, and disable the one Facebook thing I couldn't remove (com.facebook.appmanager). I typically see 70-75% battery remaining when I plug in at night, unless I've been using it more than usual.

ETA: the T-Mobile app is enabled and I sometimes use it.

Other disabled apps (most disabled since day one):
    Android Pay
    Google Drive
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Play Newsstand
    Hangouts
    Lookout
    Google Photos

I also nuked Google Instant Apps after Amazon appeared. Maybe that was the culprit?

While I haven't noticed any loss of battery life or other oddities after the Amazon app appeared (and I removed it), I might try re-enabling Lookout, updating it, and running a scan just in case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy Critter View Post
    Interesting. My LG Stylo 2 Plus has, from the outset and still today, outstanding battery life. That being said, the first thing I did when I bought the phone was remove anything from Facebook, and disable the one Facebook thing I couldn't remove (com.facebook.appmanager). I typically see 70-75% battery remaining when I plug in at night, unless I've been using it more than usual.

ETA: the T-Mobile app is enabled and I sometimes use it.

Other disabled apps (most disabled since day one):
    Android Pay
    Google Drive
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Play Newsstand
    Hangouts
    Lookout
    Google Photos

I also nuked Google Instant Apps after Amazon appeared. Maybe that was the culprit?

While I haven't noticed any loss of battery life or other oddities after the Amazon app appeared (and I removed it), I might try re-enabling Lookout, updating it, and running a scan just in case.
    The culprit? I can't imagine Google and Amazon getting along at all, let it get on to the point where either one would install bloatware for the other.