Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to: Freedompop number with freepbx/asterisk

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How to: Freedompop number with freepbx/asterisk

This is documented on other sites but thought it would be useful here too.

Goal: Use fp number with freepbx/asterisk .

You will first need to extract your fp sip credentials. Not sure if this can be done without a rooted phone.

1) Install the fp messaging app and provide your number/password to authenticate the account and generate the sip credentials.

2) The actual credentials are in a sqlite database located at "/data/data/com.freedompop.phone/databases/com.freedompop.phone.db"

3) Using sqlite or some other means, open the file and look for the accounts table.

4) Look for the "username" and "data" columns. Both will be about half way across

Username is typically in the format "1{10 digit fp #}_{IMEI/Serial #}"

eg: 11231231234_990001234567890

Password is 32 character hex sequence

eg: 1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef

There's probably other ways of getting this info off the phone, the above is what I've used successfully.

We can now add this info to freepbx.

5) Navigate to Connectivity/Trunks, add a new sip trunk.

General tab
    Trunk name - FP-11231231234
    Outbound callerid - 11231231234

Sip settings tab

Outgoing
    Trunk name - FP-11231231234

Peer Details:
    videosupport=no
    username=11231231234_990001234567890
    type=peer
    transport=tcp
    secret=1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef
    qualifyfreq=240
    qualify=yes
    nat=yes
    insecure=port,invite
    host=fp.layered.net
    fromuser=11231231234_990001234567890
    fromdomain=fp.layered.net
    disallowed_methods=UPDATE
    directmedia=no
    context=from-pstn
    canreinvite=no
    authuser=11231231234_990001234567890

Incoming tab

User Context: 11231231234_990001234567890

User Details:
    type=peer
    transport=tcp
    srvlookup=yes
    secret=1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef
    rtpkeepalive=20
    registertimeout=60
    qualify=no
    nat=yes
    maxexpiry=60
    insecure=port,invite
    host=fp.layered.net
    dtmfmode=info
    defaultexpiry=120
    context=from-pstn
    canreinvite=no

Register String - 11231231234_990001234567890:1234567890abcdef123456 [email protected]/11231231234

Click Submit to save.

6) Define an outbound route using this trunk. I use the last 4 digits as a prefix in the dial pattern tab so outbound route is available to multiple extensions. I leave everything else default. A leading 1 is required on all outbound calls, so make sure to include a dial pattern that adds it if only 10 digits are used.

7) Define an inbound route (if you want to receive calls on this number)

Description - FP-11231231234
    Did Number - 11231231234
    CID name prefix - "FP 1231231234 : " (without the quotes, note the space before/after the colon)

The CID name prefix is optional but makes it possible to identify the call is coming in on the fp number. It looks something like this.

"FP 1231231234 : CNAM" <+18005551212>

Click Submit to save. Then apply config at the top.

Test by making (don't forget the prefix) and receiving calls.

Both the pbx and fp messaging app can use the same account at the same time. For inbound calls, both ring. Which ever is answered first gets the call. Either can call outbound. I didn't test to see max number of channels available.

In my use this is a scenario that will likely never happen. In fact, the fp app was installed on a phone with no sim along with a test google play account using a wifi hotspot on another phone with a fp lte sim.
    Last edited by GPz1100; 08-30-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    I posted SIP settings of Freedompop on Freedompop forums in April 2015:

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/dis...#Comment_47387

You must use rooted phone because otherwise you do not have access to /data/data/com.freedompop.phone/databases/com.freedompop.phone.db

Also, the location and name of com.freedompop.phone.db may be different on different versions of Android.
    Also, I am not sure that latest Freedompop app for non-freedompop phones https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...freedompop.ott
    allows this hack (I did not test it since 2017)

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Thanks.

I used the regular fp messaging program. Phone was a uscc moto e (xt1528 I think).

I did find an oddity. It seems credentials created using the same phone but different accounts partially invalidate previously created creds.

That is, placing/receiving calls works on account with most recently created username/pass. However only outbound works on the older account. Inbound doesn't work. Probably helpful to have the actual sim associated with the account in the phone then. That way the user id is a combination of the number and sim icc id, the latter which would be unique for each account.

Edit: Confirmed. Generating creds using different sims on the same phone. Both accounts tested successfully in the pbx for in/outbound calling.

username is now number_simiccid combination.

Bit of a pain but this should make it easier to keep the accounts active by periodically making calls.

Feedback Score
    You can get the credentials from un-rooted phone too.
    I used Helium backup for my non-rooted Sprint phone.
    Other GSM account, I put FP sim in my rooted phone to extract database.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    I assume this is voice only - no texting functionality?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    I assume this is voice only - no texting functionality?
    Correct. No SMS via SIP in this case.

Feedback Score
    No SMS. But you can maintain minimum call requirements for all of your free accounts with SIP dialer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by power_book View Post
    I used Helium backup
    Whould you mind sharing steps to extract credentials from com.freedompop.phone.ab file produced by Helium backup?
    I am having trouble converting it to a tar format.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never used helium backup. What format does it save the backup in?

I was just reading up on it. Apparently it requires you to install something on the pc too. Wonder how it does its backing up. It was my understanding apps can only access their own sandbox without root.

Feedback Score
    Hey @GPz1100, you said this:

It seems credentials created using the same phone but different accounts partially invalidate previously created creds.

That is, placing/receiving calls works on account with most recently created username/pass. However only outbound works on the older account. Inbound doesn't work. Probably helpful to have the actual sim associated with the account in the phone then. That way the user id is a combination of the number and sim icc id, the latter which would be unique for each account.

Edit: Confirmed. Generating creds using different sims on the same phone. Both accounts tested successfully in the pbx for in/outbound calling.

username is now number_simiccid combination.
    That leaves me a bit confused. I'd pulled my Sprint-based FP Volt credentials long ago to use on my PBX, but never did that with any of my SIMs

Are you saying that the act of putting a different SIM in a GSM phone makes the previously-retrieved user/pw partially blow up until that SIM is put back in the phone?

Or, can I just retrieve the username (which is "number_simiccid combination") and PW from each SIM, move on to the next, and those retrieved sets will work for each SIM on the PBX?

For purposes of making the required 5 monthly outbound calls, however, I don't suppose it matters if only outbound calling works. I wouldn't be using the FP DIDs for inbound calling to my PBX anyway, and having all those outbound credentials on the PBX would eliminate the annoyance of my having to do a lot of SIM-swapping every month into my single GSM phone so as to maintain the accounts.

Feedback Score
    For extracting info without Root.
    follow this instruction.
    You have to use these two PC programs for converting .tar
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...595081&page=11

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by power_book View Post
    For extracting info without Root.
    follow this instruction.
    Thank you for the detailed information. May be very helpful in future.
    It turned out that for getting FP credentials nothing besides helium is needed.
    Helium archive is uncompressed tar like format, FP credentials are in plain text and visible with any editor, one just need to know what pattern to look for. Simple grep seems sufficient.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Hey @GPz1100, you said this:

That leaves me a bit confused. I'd pulled my Sprint-based FP Volt credentials long ago to use on my PBX, but never did that with any of my SIMs

Are you saying that the act of putting a different SIM in a GSM phone makes the previously-retrieved user/pw partially blow up until that SIM is put back in the phone?

Or, can I just retrieve the username (which is "number_simiccid combination") and PW from each SIM, move on to the next, and those retrieved sets will work for each SIM on the PBX?

For purposes of making the required 5 monthly outbound calls, however, I don't suppose it matters if only outbound calling works. I wouldn't be using the FP DIDs for inbound calling to my PBX anyway, and having all those outbound credentials on the PBX would eliminate the annoyance of my having to do a lot of SIM-swapping every month into my single GSM phone so as to maintain the accounts.
    Initially I created the credentials using just the app with no sim card installed. To create new creds I wiped the data for the messaging app then re-entered the next account's phone #/pass. It generated the sip username/pass.

Trying to authenticate a softphone with the first set credentials now didn't work. Such wasn't the case when using the respective sim card where the user id is contains the sim iccid rather than the phone's imei.

Feedback Score
    Got it; thanks.

In the end I installed each SIM into the phone; restarted it; pulled and examined the SQlite file to obtain the credentials for each SIM; and created a PBX trunk using those credentials. Wash/rinse/repeat.

Initially I had been adding incoming and registration settings to the trunks, but I ultimately deleted all of those because I don't intend to use these trunks inbound.

Feedback Score
    We know that FP Messaging App is buggy, non-reliable, eats cellular data and battery. There is a way to use FP for voice calls (without SMS/text) on smartphones without using FP Messaging App.

1. Obtain Freedompop SIP Credential as described in this topic.
    2. Buy Android/IPhone version of Acrobits Softphone ($6). This SIP softphone support push notification by importing SIP credentials to Acrobits servers.
    3. Configure new account on Acrobits Soft Phone using FP SIP credentials and set push notification in configuration. At this point you will be able to place and receive phone calls using your FP account and phone number. Battery usage of Acrobits Soft Phone is close to zero because of push notification support.

Note: exactly same approach can be applied to use Pinger and Textfree with Acrobits softphone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast